NEW INFINITY RS 2.5,s

totem

Addicted Member
Well I feel like I just joined a new club. Just made the call & agreed to buy my new infinity RS 2.5,s Paid a little more than I wanted but as the seller said , the crossovers have already been done. Will go and pick them up sat. morning and
then continue my search for the rest of my amplifier quest, being that there not an easy load on the amp.
Will post some pic,s as soon as I can :music:

Richard P.S. DO WE HAVE A SECRET HAND SHAKE????

Congratulations, I think you'll love them!

But like you mentioned they need to be fed plenty of clean power.

Did you get the external crossover with them for bi-amping? One of the things I wish I had, but alas no funds for at present

Post a pic or two when you get a chance as well as your impressions :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Congratulations, indeed!

Let us know how things go, especially Scott, as he's got a lot of experience with these particular speakers.

Yahooo totem,
An excellent move. Very, very fine loudspeakers. They work very well as Army said, even without Bi-amping. However, if you are so inclined and can do, go for it. It is beautious.
Vito

P.S. Yes, there is a secret handshake but only Kencat knows it and he hiding somewhere ATM. I will find him and get him to give it up.

pic,s

Got them today. here are some pic,s of the RS 2.5,s

the crossovers have had some work, but the rest looks pretty original.

Hope to ask a few questions before they get hooked up, (still on the amp thing)

Nice. Consider fanning the power amplifier/s with muffin fans. It will help with the cooling BIG TIME. Congrats.
Vito

Nice looking. I run two H/K Citation 19's in mono on my RS 1.5's. They put quite a strain on the amps. The fan thing Vito mentioned helps immensley. I use the fans out of computer power supplies (they run pretty quiet) but who could hear with the tunes cranked up :music: ? Enjoy. Where's my secret decoder ring?

Looking good there Totem :thmbsp:

I would doubt that the surrounds on your 2.5's are original. My guess they have been refoamed at least once because of the age of these.

I would double check them, by doing a pinch test, carefully pinch them, sounds like a no brainer. But they may need new surrounds again. If they tear with a pinch, I would refoam them and not take any chances.

I would hate to blow a Watkins woofer by over extending with weak surrounds, tends to burn up voice coils :pity:

I also see from your photo that the foam around the emims and front emit is completely gone. Not sure what would be the best replacement, open or closed cell foam. I need to look into that myself, both of my pairs are falling apart :sigh:

As for power... I plan on feeding my familyroom pair 500 wpc Pioneer Spec 2 as soon as EW gets done with a complete recap job. Then at some point when I snag an external crossover bi-amping with a 150 wpc Spec 4 for the top end and the Spec 2 for the lows.

At AKfest 2006 we ran an Echowars Rebuilt Spec 2 provided by Retro that did the job beautifully. A power amp that I think really does a great job with the 2.5's that is reasonably had from that big auction site, something to consider. There are many other brands that will do the job equally as well I'm sure, but I've heard this setup and it really sounded excellent to my ears :thmbsp:

Army said:
...At AKfest 2006 we ran an Echowars Rebuilt Spec 2 provided by Retro that did the job beautifully. A power amp that I think really does a great job with the 2.5's that is reasonably had from that big auction site, something to consider. There are many other brands that will do the job equally as well I'm sure, but I've heard this setup and it really sounded excellent to my ears :thmbsp:

Scott and I do occasionally disagree, and this is one of those times. EMITs and EMIMs are famous for sounding their best with tubes, or McIntosh autoformers. Watkins woofers go best with huge heavy SS amps that are happy at 2 ohms. There's not many of those. As a result, most large Infinities loooove to be biamped, and the improvement in sound is not minor.

If I couldn't bi-amp, I'd head toward big FET amps, like an Adcom 5802, or even the old Hafler 500 with some mods. The SPEC-2 amps are highly regarded, and rightfully so, but if I didn't already own one, I'd not go that route with EMITs and EMIMs to drive.

Negotiableterms said:
Scott and I do occasionally disagree, and this is one of those times.

I'm in a very disagreeable mood!

And disagree with you David... All the above mentioned equipment would more than likely sound excellent with 2.5's :D

Scott-

Sorry to hear you're in a disagreeable mood!

If, at some point, you'd like to try a Mc amp with your EMITs and EMIMs, I have an MC-352 sitting idle. No rush, so it can be shipped cheap. You can try it for a month or so, and I'll be you change your mind!

DW

Vitopanch said:
Yahooo totem,
An excellent move. Very, very fine loudspeakers. They work very well as Army said, even without Bi-amping. However, if you are so inclined and can do, go for it. It is beautious.
Vito

P.S. Yes, there is a secret handshake but only Kencat knows it and he hiding somewhere ATM. I will find him and get him to give it up.

:lmao: :lmao:

Hey there Vito,

I'm out of hiding, but that handshake is so secret only Nudell knows it, and perhaps those who have met him. (Not me I regretfully admit :no: )

Totem,

Awesome acquisition. I'm just reading the rest of the thread now. Hopefully all is well with them. :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Vitopanch said:
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY KENCAT IS BACK.
Vito

True dat!

Glad to read your back Ken, hope all is/was well :thmbsp:

David, I would love to take you up on your offer, I've heard Mac gear before :thmbsp: :thmbsp: but not with Infinities.

But it will have to wait a while, too many irons in the fire at present.

Thanks for the offer!

for amp pick up used Acurus a250

totem said:
Well I feel like I just joined a new club. Just made the call & agreed to buy my new infinity RS 2.5,s Paid a little more than I wanted but as the seller said , the crossovers have already been done. Will go and pick them up sat. morning and
then continue my search for the rest of my amplifier quest, being that there not an easy load on the amp.
Will post some pic,s as soon as I can :music:

Richard P.S. DO WE HAVE A SECRET HAND SHAKE????
they will power the infinitys very well used to low impedence loads. I use them on my RSII 's. Granted not same power requirements as RS 2.5. But well built amp doable on ebay around 500-600 bucks. They are built like tanks, sound like well
nothing, as there are very few acoustic faults especially at that price. You will need seperate preamp/ :banana:

The Acurus a250 is one nice amplifier. The Acurus products are top shelf IMO. I have two of their pre-amps. They are amoung the ' cleanest' sounding audio equipment that I have experienced. Congrats on getting that.

Totem,
Keep us informed please of your progress please. The RS 2.5's are very colourless and will react and sound very well with any power amplifier that has the gusto, stability and speed to hand them clean sound.
Vito

Last edited:
new 2.5's

While not having any experience with tube equipment (that'll be another reason for my wife to yell at me) I do have experience with ss amps. Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, Carver. I highly recommend bi-amping those 2.5's, as well as getting some good cable. I did mine with several ss amps as well with my current Carver TFM-45's. Blew my woofers out with a Candy Dulfer Sax-A-GoGo CD. So, bought some Infinity 9.1 Series II's. Handled anything. Just didn't have that cool - listen to them a long time - sound though. Went to RSIIb's. Better. Moved my 2.5's to surrounds with Kappa 7's in the rear. Still to this day a battle between the 2.5's and the RSIIb's as to which sounds better with certain types of music. (2.5's rule in jazz-especially saxaphone). Anyway, the Carver TFM-45's easily work well with the 2.5's and you can still get them on ebay or audiogon. I know, not the purist in sound, but I like'em. Enjoy your music! :music:

Well the 2.5,s are undergoing an exterior cabinet refinish at this time and I want to replace the foam that is no longer on the upper section of the cabinet.
DOES anyone know what the original FOAM looked like??
HOW thick, colour etc?

Richard

totem said:
Well the 2.5,s are undergoing an exterior cabinet refinish at this time and I want to replace the foam that is no longer on the upper section of the cabinet.
DOES anyone know what the original FOAM looked like??
HOW thick, colour etc?

Richard

About an inch thick, blackish in color (which makes no difference color wise) closed or open foam, not sure of! My guess it really doesn't matter, just a little damping around the corners. I could be wrong!

My 2 ¢

Back
Top Bottom