NEW INFINITY RS 2.5,s

Welcome to AK and the Infinity Forum tptjr111

It's good to have another knowledgable RS 2.5 owner, I may need to pick your brain in the future as far as the electrolytic capacitors are concerned :thmbsp:

Welcome tptjr111,
It is nice to have you join us. I betcha that the RS 2.5's sound great with the A5. That is a great amplifier.
Vito

Thanks guys-appreciate the welcome and the oppurtunity to share info....we can all learn something I think.
tptjr

Here's the Rig!

Thanks to Vito for the eBay handoff and to all for the very useful advance on my new RS 2.5s.

Here's the listening room and rig, shot from just behind my listening chair in the Glorious Garage. The lava lamp is a new addition and it seems it needs some time to get the lava flowing.

Attachments

• Listening room small version.jpg
    Listening room small version.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 70
Whitehall finally get to see the garage, looks great & those RS 2.5,s are sweet, as for the lava lamp, if you need more EFFECT I have a hanging lamp that pumps mineral oil that runs down about 50 spiral nylon lines lighted from inside.

Richard

Whitehall,
Yahoo. Good job setting it all up. It looks quite comfortable. The RS 2.5's look rather happy there too.
Vito

Whitehall said:
Thanks to the power meters, I can attest that the Infinities really do suck up the juice!

If the 2.5s allow bi-wiring, I wonder what would happen if you hooked the woofers into the 2-ohm tap and the tops into the 4 or 8 ohm tap. I'm not sure the amp would like that, but it might. Ask Ron-C, and if he says it'll work, then you have to experiment with the taps for the top. It ought to sound better, if it doesn't hurt the amp.

Hey guys-just a suggestion......If you havent cleaned the jumper wires between the high and low inputs-DO SO! I went to bi-wire mine the other day and realized there was green stuff on those wires and the difference was dramatic in the sound. when I cleaned them out. The soundstage opened up, bass got tighter, and I could hear differences between cables, CD players and just a higher level of resolution in all my recordings. I found myself listening for hours. In fact, these speakers are 25 years old so I'd go through all the driver terminals and clean them all. Craig Labs make a cleaner called Deoxit and a contact enhancer called Progold you can get at Radio Shack or partsexpress.com that I use on all my contacts.
Also I've damped the rear sound radiation from my 2.5's. I disconnected my rear tweeters and put acoustic foam over the midrange emim's so output comes out the front only. You'll need to put a 3-5 ohm 10-15 watt resistor in the tweeter terminals or the output of the front emit will increase. This is a personal preference but I find in my small living room they image better this way.
Another thing about amps, I ran my 2.5's for years on a NAD 3020-20 watts per channel! They wouldn't play that loud but the NAD was happy with a 2 ohm load. So whatever you hook them up to make sure the amp has CURRENT capability. Granted power does make these come to life and Infinity recommends 100-300 watts per channel. Tubes sound good but you're into big bucks for a tube amp that's happy with 2 ohms. Get a tube preamp or the Musical fidelity tube buffer. I've never had the bi-amp crossover box so I can't comment on that. Happy listening.
Ted

Vitopanch said:
Nice. Consider fanning the power amplifier/s with muffin fans. It will help with the cooling BIG TIME. Congrats.
Vito
So I'm NOT the only one who's nerdy enough to know what a Muffin fan is?:yikes:

I think it was said that the original RS 2.5,s had black foam of around 1 inch thick on the upper section surrounding the emit,s . Has anyone tryed to paint foam that is not black? I was thinking there should :smoke: be some way to do this that will not cause the foam to melt!

Back
Top Bottom