New JBL l96 Owner with Some Questions

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Motnick, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Motnick

Motnick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hello everyone. I recently picked up my first set of JBL speakers, model l96. The overall condition is very nice and the speakers sound great. Serial numbers are consecutive. The l pads were dirty but I was able to squirt some deoxit into them from the openings on the back of the pots. I followed that up with some faderlube and they seem to be working properly now.

While I was cleaning the l pads I decided to take a look at all of the drivers. It looks like these have LE5-5 mids installed, but I don’t think that is correct? Are the correct mids LE5-12? How important is having the correct mids? Am I safe to continue using these mids until I can locate the correct units?

The tweeters are labeled 044 and seem to be in good shape. Are these correct?

The drivers are both labeled LE10H-1 and have been refoamed. The refoam job looks like it was done correctly, and the seller claimed that Rick Cobb surrounds were used. However upon removal it looks like the metal label and a ring is missing from the magnets. Any reason for this? I can’t understand why these parts would have been removed. It’s the same on both drivers.

Lastly, the grills are in very nice shape but upon closer inspection I noticed that the badges do not match. Which type is correct? This is a smaller thing, but I might correct it down the road if I can.

Here are several pictures showing what I have. I had thought that I was buying a nice set of well kept JBL’s, but it’s looking more like what I’ve ended up with is a nice collection of parts that have been pieced together. I’m looking forward to some feedback on these and also any advice on what I should do to make them correct.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DavidF

DavidF Active Member

You have yourself some gems for speakers. Only the mids look off-spec. You are correct that the OEM was the LE5-12. There is a significant difference in the -5 and -12 to make it worth sourcing the originals. The -5 has a different response and a bit more efficient. There is no issue with using these -5 models other than some sonic differences. The -12 can be replaced by -6, -8 or -10 models but, I believe, all those frames are painted black.

The woofers look fine. Many consumer drivers did not have the aluminum label on the back. The foam in the coil vents is missing and likely disintegrated due to age. Hopefully that debris did not find its way to the gap. I have had, and used, several woofers of that era and had no issues related to the disintegrated foam.

Overall these models look to be in great shape.

3. Motnick

Motnick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thank you for the feedback DavidF! I will try to source the correct LE5-12 mids. I would like to return these speakers to the original configuration if I can. Perhaps I can resell my LE5-5 mids down the road and recoup some of the additional costs of the LE5-12's.

Good to know that some of the woofers did not have the metal labels. What about the black ring that seems to be missing from mine? It seems that pictures of other LE10H-1 woofers that I have seen online have some black metal/plastic ring around the magnets. Was that also missing from some of the consumer drivers?

4. johnlcnm

johnlcnm Member

The black rubber ring around the ceramic magnets was only used on raw or exposed commercial drivers sold by JBL. They were not used on the enclosed speakers.