New knife

gogofast

Addicted Member
While picking up a few things at a Japanese grocery store, I spotted a Nakiri knife made by Kai, and for $40 with tax, I thought I'd try it out. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but wanted to ask if anyone has experience with 'em. Or any input on the line's quality.
n.jpg

Those look nice. KAI owns a few nice knife companies. Shun being one.
Ah, that's good to know. Did not know the connection with the Shun knives.

I had a chance to try it out tonight. Everything cuts like butter. I'm thinking about ordering a whole set. Definitely a great bang for buck knife.

Yep, Kershaw knives are of great quality for sure. I have a few for hunting, fishing and camping purposes.

The Japanese knives are typically ground much thinner than their Euro counterparts, which contributes greatly to their scalpel-like cutting ability. Steel is probably VG-10, or something similar. Quite hard, too....Don`t use a traditional tungsten steel on these, invest $35 or so in a DMT diamond-impregnated rod, 600 grit will do just fine.

Those look very nice. If they are VG-10 they hold up pretty well too! I'm going to keep an eye out at my local Asian Market. Down here in Miami most are "Asian" with Japanese, Chinese and Korean all lumped together.

Those look very nice. If they are VG-10 they hold up pretty well too! I'm going to keep an eye out at my local Asian Market. Down here in Miami most are "Asian" with Japanese, Chinese and Korean all lumped together.

You can find some killer deals in those markets....one of my all-time favorite kitchen blades cost me the princely sum of six bucks (!) back in 1972. It`s a "3 Rams" brand, carbon steel, holds an incredible edge very well. Shown with my homemade sheath.
upload_2017-5-24_23-36-8.png

upload_2017-5-24_23-37-31.png

Wow, that looks like a serious cleaver style knife.

The Japanese knives are typically ground much thinner than their Euro counterparts, which contributes greatly to their scalpel-like cutting ability. Steel is probably VG-10, or something similar. Quite hard, too....Don`t use a traditional tungsten steel on these, invest $35 or so in a DMT diamond-impregnated rod, 600 grit will do just fine.
I've used it all day today, and it's really nice. slicing water melon feels like running the knife through jello.

I only use wet stone for all my knives.:thumbsup:

I would think probably not VG10 for that price, but it looks like a nice knife none the less.

Are they single bevel?

I would think probably not VG10 for that price, but it looks like a nice knife none the less.

Are they single bevel?

It's made of Daido 1K6 steel. Not VG10 but respectable grade with 57-58 HRC according to my research.
This particular knife is double beveled, but some other knives from the set is single bevel.

With single bevel knives available, do they give you the option of left or right handed?

With single bevel knives available, do they give you the option of left or right handed?

I've heard a left handed chef friend complaining about single bevel knives designed for right handed only. Also seen some of them grind down and then create single bevel whichever way they like.

Last edited:
Got my knives in Maniago, IT while deployed to Aviano during "Deny Flight" over Bosnia-Herzegovina. The fine German steel from the likes of Henkel, etc at a fraction of the cost.

Got my knives in Maniago, IT while deployed to Aviano during "Deny Flight" over Bosnia-Herzegovina. The fine German steel from the likes of Henkel, etc at a fraction of the cost.

My newest favorite is a super thin Henckels paring knife.
It's the one I always reach for first whenever I need a smaller blade.

Maniago is the Italian equivalent of Solingen, Seki City, and Sheffield. Knives produced there are excellent quality, at a reasonable price.

Yep. From what I understood at the time, they would get the steel blanks grind, polish and put haandles on them, and ship most of them back to Germany where they would then be stamped with whichever manufacturer sent them the steel.

I have a few folders from the region, this one from Lionsteel is really nicely done, the blade is Raindrop Damascus, the handle is one-piece, machined from a solid block of titanium, very cool !

upload_2017-5-31_0-18-16.png

Back
Top Bottom