1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

(New) L100 Quadrex Foam

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by SaturationPt, Nov 20, 2018.

1. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

So, ... now that the new L100 is available, is the grille foam available as a service part?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Well-Known Member

Be aware the new L100 is essentially a brand new speaker, with a white woofer and grill resembling the original. That's it.
    The cabinet dimensions are different, so if you are hoping to buy a pair of new grills and fit them to your original L100's, it won't work. The original L100 dimensions are 23.5×14.5×13.75 inches vs the new L100 measures 25.06 x 15.34 x 14.625 inches.
    The grill foam for the original L100 Century is available from sculpted foam innovation, great quality. I bought all three colours (blue, orange and black) and am very satisfied.

3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

What color corduroys did one wear with L100s sportin' orange grilles?

4. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

Yep I'm aware that the new grille is larger, but that's better than the new grille being smaller (stretch vs trim). I am closely related to a JBL dealer so the availability of service parts makes this possibility more interesting.

The Sculpted Foam ones are nice but honestly I have a hard time with the idea of $300/pair for the foam. As I'd prefer the original color (russet brown P/N G100 BR) and it's not available from any source, I'm looking at buying a set of orange or blue ones to sit in the closet, thus my desire to spend less on closet fodder.

Thanks for the info regardless, and if I do find a pair of re-issue grilles in my possession I will report.

And damac: maroon.

5. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Well-Known Member

Understood. I found the price of the grills from Sculpted Foam hard to swallow at first, but the quality of the product is absolutely top notch. I could not be more pleased. I'm still hoping one day to get the opportunity to see/hear the new L100 Classic's in person. I have contacted Erikson Consumer, the company that represents JBL in Canada, to see if they can point me toward a local retailer. So far, no help there.