New Led Zeppelin? Greta Van Fleet May be the Ones

@ bobsvinyl, friend turned me on to these guys about 3 weeks ago.

Lots of promise, catchy tunes.

For those decrying the obvious Zeppelin influence, let us remind ourselves of the blatant theft that LZ committed throughout their entire career.

Oh, and the lead vocalist can do a pretty mean Geddy Lee vocal as well (for whatever THAT is worth).

Yeah, I'm one of those..................

Please tell us what the "blatant theft that LZ committed" has to do with this band? I think it only shows your distain for Led Zeppelin, that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions.

"through out their entire career" How on earth do you come-up with "entire career" Are you telling us that every LP Led Zeppelin put out they were taken to court over some kind of violations? That would be their "entire career", every LP.

You act like Led Zeppelin have been the only ones to be sued over similar violations. Check the facts, your head would spin.

You act like Led Zeppelin have been the only ones to be sued over similar violations.
No he didn't he just stated the truth, the list is very long as to the songs zep didn't even write. I was going to mention that at least Greta Van Fleet is writing their own songs but felt, someone would get their panties in a bunch for saying the truth. And I love Zep and think their one of the greatest rock bands in history.

Now this thread isn't a debate and the OP is just drawing attention to a fine young group and it should stay that way.

So I supported the group today and bought the CD. It's not an easy CD to get as they are really selling it out. The record store only had one that he opened and was playing in the store, I bought it. It's only a $5.00 EP

These guys have been on the radio for awhile, here in Wisconsin. There back story is pretty cool. Playing from bar open til bar close, for practice and experience. I actually like the fact you can hear a LZ influence In their music. They still seem pretty raw. Hopefully they’ll come along into their own, and bring us something amazing to listen to!

I discovered a blues artist from the early 1900’s, named Lead Belly. Check out some of his songs. You’ve heard lots of them covered from Ramjam, to Nirvana, the animals, and of course Led Zepplins Gallows pole, came from this blues musician.

Oh, and the lead vocalist can do a pretty mean Geddy Lee vocal as well (for whatever THAT is worth).

I agree here, Black Smoke Rising sounds like Rush to me, Im listening to the CD now though my system.

Track #1) Highway Tune:
Track #2) Safari Song: Led Zep sounding
Track #3) Flower Power: Undecided
Track #4) Black Smoke Rising: sounds like Rush style to me

So let me critique some more.

Watching this vid you can see a lot of Jimmy's mannerisms in the guitarist, the lean back look.

Remember Acid Rock? the formula....

Same with the singer going for that zep style and sound

Yeah, I'm one of those..................

Please tell us what the "blatant theft that LZ committed" has to do with this band? I think it only shows your distain for Led Zeppelin, that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions.

"through out their entire career" How on earth do you come-up with "entire career" Are you telling us that every LP Led Zeppelin put out they were taken to court over some kind of violations? That would be their "entire career", every LP.

You act like Led Zeppelin have been the only ones to be sued over similar violations. Check the facts, your head would spin.

Hello, and good day.

First highlighted point - My opinion of Led Zeppelin is that they are, at the absolute least, one of the 3 greatest rock bands ever. I have enjoyed them for 4 decades, and will continue to enjoy them.

Second highlighted point - Not acting like that in the slightest, sir. However, only a perfunctory look at their catalog would highlight countless episodes of artistic "borrowing".

I wasn't setting out to upset you, or to disparage LZ. Hey, I'm a fan.

"A good musician borrows.......a great musician steals." - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (so the story goes).

I used to do record shows and now I sell at the flea market in the summer and I can't tell you how many young people have talked to me about how they wish they had grown up in the 60s and early 70s. They've also told me they have no interest in the music from their generation. Greta Van Fleet has tapped into this, I'm not sure if they realized how much attention they would receive from taking the path they did.

If you read the above-referenced WSJ article, you'll see they've got some big promoters behind them, business-wise. But will the kids listen to them?

No he didn't he just stated the truth, the list is very long as to the songs zep didn't even write. I was going to mention that at least Greta Van Fleet is writing their own songs but felt, someone would get their panties in a bunch for saying the truth. And I love Zep and think their one of the greatest rock bands in history.

Now this thread isn't a debate and the OP is just drawing attention to a fine young group and it should stay that way.

No debate.............
Two out of the first 26 tracks released were acknowledged as full Wille Dixon and one as Dixon - Lenoir. That's 3 songs out of first 26 tracks that Led Zeppelin didn't even write.
As we all know other people are mentioned in song credits, but not given full song rights.
Yes, it's a shame Wille & company weren't given their proper due in the beginning, but Wille and company did cash-in on LZ's millions.
...and that's that.

No debate.............
Two out of the first 26 tracks released were acknowledged as full Wille Dixon and one as Dixon - Lenoir. That's 3 songs out of first 26 tracks that Led Zeppelin didn't even write.
As we all know other people are mentioned in song credits, but not given full song rights.
Yes, it's a shame Wille & company weren't given their proper due in the beginning, but Wille and company did cash-in on LZ's millions.
...and that's that.
No debate? Hardly.
Love 'em, but they grabbed a whole lotta(;)) stuff from others, and didn't give proper due until they were called out on it.
Not a single credit was given to anybody besides themselves on II. At least not on the copy I have.

Yeah, Dixon 'cashed in'. But so did Zep by using material by one of the greatest songwriters ever. Dixon deserved it.

I first heard of this band when I posted an article about a couple getting arrested for having sex in an outhouse, after previously trying to do it in the woman's restroom in a bar...that Greta Van Fleet was playing at.

Whatever that means?

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 5.42.06 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom