New LG Nano Cell 4k TV not bad at all.

Well they'll continue to drop, so when your ready you'll be getting an excellent TV for inexpensive. I feel you on Uncle Sam, he has to get his money, especially this time of year.

Audiofreak71

There are always killer deals around the holidays as well. Once I am ready, I will have to decide which OLED series of LG I want to go with. There were two different OLED offerings at Micro Center, and one was several hundred more than the other at the same screen size. I'll look into it more once I'm ready to buy. I really should get a 55" but man, that 65" was just so nice... ;)

I will likely get a different TV for the living room, but sooner. It has to be smaller, on the order of 40-43 inches, and my better half is not all that fussy about picture quality. A nice 4K would do well in that location, I'd think.

There are always killer deals around the holidays as well. Once I am ready, I will have to decide which OLED series of LG I want to go with. There were two different OLED offerings at Micro Center, and one was several hundred more than the other at the same screen size. I'll look into it more once I'm ready to buy. I really should get a 55" but man, that 65" was just so nice... ;)

I will likely get a different TV for the living room, but sooner. It has to be smaller, on the order of 40-43 inches, and my better half is not all that fussy about picture quality. A nice 4K would do well in that location, I'd think.
I was concerned that the 55in was way to small for my space, however one factor is my seating is 10ft from the screen. Once it was mounted it not only does not look small (despite having almost no bezels) but once watching a movie when my room is dark the picture looks quite big and appears to be floating. The picture is so good that size doesn't become a factor, at least for me its not.

Audiofreak71

I bought an LG OLED55B7 towards the end of November to replace a 50" Pioneer Kuro 5080. It was part of pretty big upgrade as I also bought a OPPO UDP-203, an Outlaw Audio 976 pre/pro and Harmony 950 remote. I also upgraded my cable box that, along with some flaky IR/RF remote issues, has probably been the toughest to integrate into the system (long story that still isn't fully resolved). I mocked up a 65" LG with some cardboard but it was too big for my room and location over my fireplace. Regardless, the 55" LG is virtually the same size as the 50" Pioneer because of the narrow bezel on the LG.

I plan to get the LG calibrated but was advised to wait for at least 100 hours by the ISF tech so the LG will stabilize. I've made some picture adjustments in the interim and it looks really good. Amazing blacks and my simple adjustments show the potential once it is calibrated. Reminds me, I have more than enough hours to get the LG calibrated. :)

I bought an LG OLED55B7 towards the end of November to replace a 50" Pioneer Kuro 5080. It was part of pretty big upgrade as I also bought a OPPO UDP-203, an Outlaw Audio 976 pre/pro and Harmony 950 remote. I also upgraded my cable box that, along with some flaky IR/RF remote issues, has probably been the toughest to integrate into the system (long story that still isn't fully resolved). I mocked up a 65" LG with some cardboard but it was too big for my room and location over my fireplace. Regardless, the 55" LG is virtually the same size as the 50" Pioneer because of the narrow bezel on the LG.

I plan to get the LG calibrated but was advised to wait for at least 100 hours by the ISF tech so the LG will stabilize. I've made some picture adjustments in the interim and it looks really good. Amazing blacks and my simple adjustments show the potential once it is calibrated. Reminds me, I have more than enough hours to get the LG calibrated. :)
You have the exact same setup I'm running, I have the oppo udp 203 and the LG b7 oled, I'm going through the run in process as well before it's calibrated but I was advised for at least 200hrs before it's calibrated by my tech. Either way you are most definitely correct the picture is stunning and it's blacks are as good if not better than my Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 151fd. I'm very happy so far with this purchase after painfully going through the crap with all the leds. I will never buy an led again, it's oled or better from here on out, or else I'll just go back to a used pioneer elite Kuro.

Audiofreak71

I mocked up a 65" LG with some cardboard but it was too big for my room and location over my fireplace.
My current 50 inch Sony HDTV is a rear projection "table top" model (if that makes sense) that has a wide frame on it. Overall, it is about the size of a 60 inch panel. I have the wall space here in this room for a 65 inch, but a few things would hold me back. First--it's not a really large room (14x17), so I don't really need a 65 inch. Second--either will fit my room right now, but what if I move? This isn't a set of curtains I could replace when I move. Plus, it has to live nicely among my 2-channel audio rig. Third--55 inch is still a larger picture than my 50 inch, so I am still gaining. And the big fourth--there is quite a jump in price between 55 inch and 65 inch, which is more than my budget for a TV. (I don't use it enough to justify putting a lot of money into a larger screen and an entire home theater system, as I could see myself falling down that rabbit hole.)

For some reason, my days on the old CompuServe CE Video forums came to mind. That goes back almost 25 years ago, and I remember some of our fellow members dreaming about a television we could hang on a wall like a picture frame. Now they are commonplace. :)

This is what we have, in both a 40" and 50" model. Both were nearly free, with one needing a repair, and the other a new bulb. They are more bulky than a panel, but the advantage is that they have better built-in speakers (it even has a "subwoofer" mounted in the back--a 5-inch bass driver). My 50 inch takes up about the same space as a 60 inch panel in width and (a little less height).

upload_2018-2-26_10-27-5.png

My highly rated Panasonic plasma died at age 3. I suspect it was due to the high heat that plasmas produce. My new 65" 4K Vizio runs much cooler and should last. I have a 32" Vizio LCD that has given me great service for the last 15 years.

My current 50 inch Sony HDTV is a rear projection "table top" model (if that makes sense) that has a wide frame on it. Overall, it is about the size of a 60 inch panel. I have the wall space here in this room for a 65 inch, but a few things would hold me back. First--it's not a really large room (14x17), so I don't really need a 65 inch. Second--either will fit my room right now, but what if I move? This isn't a set of curtains I could replace when I move. Plus, it has to live nicely among my 2-channel audio rig. Third--55 inch is still a larger picture than my 50 inch, so I am still gaining. And the big fourth--there is quite a jump in price between 55 inch and 65 inch, which is more than my budget for a TV. (I don't use it enough to justify putting a lot of money into a larger screen and an entire home theater system, as I could see myself falling down that rabbit hole.)

For some reason, my days on the old CompuServe CE Video forums came to mind. That goes back almost 25 years ago, and I remember some of our fellow members dreaming about a television we could hang on a wall like a picture frame. Now they are commonplace. :)

This is what we have, in both a 40" and 50" model. Both were nearly free, with one needing a repair, and the other a new bulb. They are more bulky than a panel, but the advantage is that they have better built-in speakers (it even has a "subwoofer" mounted in the back--a 5-inch bass driver). My 50 inch takes up about the same space as a 60 inch panel in width and (a little less height).

View attachment 1124342

I remember the first time I saw a 42" flat screen in a retail store and I was simply amazed that a TV that could hang on the wall. The "slim" form factor opened up so many options for placement that would not work with a CRT TV. None of my family room walls are just walls. One has a sliding glass door, another a doorway, the back of the family room opens to the kitchen and the last wall has a fireplace. I don't like having to mount the TV above the fireplace but it is the only place to put it in my family room. So the TV sits above the center speaker which is on top of the mantle locking in how high the bottom of the TV will be. So when I mocked up a 65" the top of the TV was higher by around 6". Doesn't sound like much but when you are looking up at it, even with a tilt mount, it was too high. FYI, my seating distance is about 10' and I would have bought the 65" if the TV was lower. It would have been a more immersive experience!

One has a sliding glass door, another a doorway, the back of the family room opens to the kitchen and the last wall has a fireplace. I don't like having to mount the TV above the fireplace but it is the only place to put it in my family room. So the TV sits above the center speaker which is on top of the mantle locking in how high the bottom of the TV will be.
I am lucky in that I have most of a 14x8 wall to play with, or a 17x8 if I rearrange the room. I have this Sony on a long IKEA TV table, so the screen is at eye level. I would possibly mount the panel a little bit higher, but not too much. (My neighbors have theirs mounted up high, and it doesn't look too comfortable.) That is a good point, though--if I do end up in another house with a fireplace as a centerpiece in a room, the 55 inch would be easier to accommodate.

You have the exact same setup I'm running, I have the oppo udp 203 and the LG b7 old,...

Audiofreak71

Excellent! Have you had any issues playing 4K HDR or Dolby Vision movies? I had to set the OPPO's output resolution to UHD 24Hz to get the few 4K movies I have to play. UHD Auto, 50Hz or 60Hz did a stop/start thing, flashed images or just went to black. I used an 18Gbps HDMI cable that supposedly could handle 4K at 60Hz. Its a puzzle.

I am lucky in that I have most of a 14x8 wall to play with, or a 17x8 if I rearrange the room. I have this Sony on a long IKEA TV table, so the screen is at eye level. I would possibly mount the panel a little bit higher, but not too much. (My neighbors have theirs mounted up high, and it doesn't look too comfortable.) That is a good point, though--if I do end up in another house with a fireplace as a centerpiece in a room, the 55 inch would be easier to accommodate.

I recall from all my reading about home theater layout that the optimal height of the screen was to have 1/3 of the screen below your eye level and 2/3rds above. That setup would certainly be easier on my neck than what I have now!

I recall from all my reading about home theater layout that the optimal height of the screen was to have 1/3 of the screen below your eye level and 2/3rds above. That setup would certainly be easier on my neck than what I have now!
Good to know. I'm right about dead center at the moment. But I do want to mount a panel to the wall, as opposed to sticking it on the TV stand/table, which would put a 55 inch lower than what I have now, and that is not ideal.

My neck hurts when watching a flat screen mounted above a fireplace mantle. But you see so many new houses with wiring already in place for that location. Thankfully I went with a stand from Sam's Club which gives me the correct height for viewing. If I had small kids around I'd probably do a wall anchor.

P8080060.jpg

Excellent! Have you had any issues playing 4K HDR or Dolby Vision movies? I had to set the OPPO's output resolution to UHD 24Hz to get the few 4K movies I have to play. UHD Auto, 50Hz or 60Hz did a stop/start thing, flashed images or just went to black. I used an 18Gbps HDMI cable that supposedly could handle 4K at 60Hz. Its a puzzle.
I am so glad that I'm not crazy and you brought that up. I have experienced that weird glitching and I thought it was just me as it doesn't do it all the time it's very sporadic. So I called oppo and they asked if it could possibly be my hdmi cable, Well I have a brand new high end 18gbps cable but just to troubleshoot I swapped in another new hdmi cable and it did the same thing. So then I called LG and they had me do a reset on the TV and that seemed to work until me and my son Sat down to watch the new planet of the apes movie in 4k and it started to do it again. So I was messing with settings etc trying to figure what the hell was going on. I had it on the new technicolor setting so I switched it to home cinema and that seemed to resolve it but I still don't have a warm and fuzzy about it.

So is this an Oppo issue or LG issue?. I'll set the oppo to 24hz and hopefully that fixes it. How did you come to the conclusion that setting the oppo to 24hz would resolve that issue. With high end products like this I feel that we shouldn't have to walk on eggshells like this. Anyway I appreciate the heads up and im glad this isn't an isolated issue.

Audiofreak71

My neck hurts when watching a flat screen mounted above a fireplace mantle.

For the life of me I can't understand why so many folks mount their TV's above their fireplace mantels. Mounting them at that height causes one (at least me) to get a crick in their neck when watching. Plus, it's simply not very comfortable.

When viewing TV/movies you want to look straight ahead not up.

For the life of me I can't understand why so many folks mount their TV's above their fireplace mantels. Mounting them at that height causes one (at least me) to get a crick in their neck when watching. Plus, it's simply not very comfortable.

When viewing TV/movies you want to look straight ahead not up.
Actually when watching movies it is recommended that tge TV is slightly above head height in a living room where the couch is facing the TV, reason being is because most people while watching a movie will recline there seats back which then puts you at a proper angle (looking upward) to watch the movie. Now if you don't recline your seats then that's a different story and I agree if you are just watching regular TV, looking up all the time would become a big pita

Audiofreak71

My neck hurts when watching a flat screen mounted above a fireplace mantle. But you see so many new houses with wiring already in place for that location. Thankfully I went with a stand from Sam's Club which gives me the correct height for viewing. If I had small kids around I'd probably do a wall anchor.

View attachment 1124483
It's a fad. Driven by form over function.

Actually when watching movies it is recommended that tge TV is slightly above head height in a living room where the couch is facing the TV, reason being is because most people while watching a movie will recline there seats back which then puts you at a proper angle (looking upward) to watch the movie. Now if you don't recline your seats then that's a different story and I agree if you are just watching regular TV, looking up all the time would become a big pita

Audiofreak71

The rule is that the middle of the screen should be at the same height as your eyes as you are seated in a normal fashion to relieve neck strain. This was something that was passed along by Joe kane during his ISF days. This was a broadcast standard.

The rule is that the middle of the screen should be at the same height as your eyes as you are seated in a normal fashion to relieve neck strain. This was something that was passed along by Joe kane during his ISF days. This was a broadcast standard.
I don't remember where I read about having the TV slightly higher than your head so I can't post a link, however I did read it. But to each there own and whatever works for the individual is also that matters. For my home theater having my oled positioned higher provides optimal viewing in the laid back couch position.

Audiofreak71

I’ve observed that most folks have their sets mounted too high as well...

Back
Top Bottom