New life for old system

Ripshift

I'm having my Pioneer SA-9100 and TX-8100 restored after 30 years in the attic. The amp wouldn't come out of protection. Years ago it had blown a couple of different woofers on one channel. I found a Master Tech not to far from me and I've trusted him with my baby, I've always wanted to have it fixed so here we go!
He rebuilt the power board and got it running and one of the main filter caps pussed out he said, so those have been replaced. The tuner worked intermittent, bad ground. I could have picked it up for $270 but I'm going for total recap, LED bulb upgrade and a few other things for another $300

I put a new power switch in my Philips 212 turntable getting ready to order a new cartridge. I bought a new pair of Bose 301s to go with it. (I know, I know)
My friend works for Bose and got them for 1/2 price.

Actually it's another $350
$620 for both pieces. I'm very happy with that. Should be ready soon!
I'm running the new speakers with an Audio Source AMP 100 and Sony CD player and they sound great! With my somewhat open floor plan you can actually hear stereo from almost everywhere!
I can't wait to get my old amp back and tuner back. It's another biggie off my bucket list! It should sound just like it did in the '70s and look even better!

Don't know about the newer Bose 301's, but the old 301's were actually pretty darn good speakers. They had to be placed well, and somewhat unconventionally, but they delivered good sound across a nice soundstage. You'll have to let us know how you like yours when you get everything up and running.

Sounds like a good plan to me! I had a pair of Bose 301s back in 2001 and they sounded good through my technics receiver!

I always like the series 2 301's ... a lot of speaker in a small package. Should be a great little system and to bring it back from the "depths of the lonely attic" is commendable. I love the older Pioneer amp/tuner combos. Well worth putting the money into. You might have a few kinks to work out but ultimately they will probably last another 40 years! I have an old SPEC 2 amp I put a few dollars into and it just runs and runs ... I bet it will out live me. Great sound; I was running a set of Altec Model 14's and it was a classic 70's sound. Keep your eyes peeled for a deal on a set of HPM-100's. It's a formidable setup ...

You are going to love it. I enjoy my SA/TX 9100 combo almost every day in my office since a recap by BlHagstrom. It was having that typical protection problem that seems to be a n issue with these. If you tech still ends up with issues with the protection clicking on, tell him to check the darn internal fuse holders. I like to swap out different speakers all the time with it. Once lamp went out on the tuner dial after I had been in there so I need to get it taken care of here at some point. I am going to include a photo taken from where I am sitting now at my desk so I don't get barked at like you did above. :beatnik:
0821171332_resized.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg I tried it out with these to see if the speaker placement would work. Sounded quite nice with some Coverdale - Page cranked up! Then I ran the wires into the basement and up to the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom