New listening space/mancave in the works!

Guest158

I am in the process of building a listening room with workbench space. Didn't think this was going to be happening here in Tn. but thanks to a awesome friend I was given part of a 30'x80' building to tear down & repurpose. Thank you Larry Deberry! New building is 12'x18'. WOOHOO!IMG_20171219_115802.jpg IMG_20171125_094453.jpg IMG_20171125_103549.jpg

Don't forget to run power to the building.....:biggrin:

Keep us informed of your progress with pics....Thanks & Good Luck:thumbsup:

Thanks squirrelnest will post progress. Power will be drop cord temporarily- only have a 15amp outlet available. Pics were from yesterday - got siding on one end & part of one long wall today. Forecasting some major rain next couple days but well see. Should have got some pics of me putting metal roof on in rain yesterday lol.

Very cool.....good luck with the project and be safe!!

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Free building is always nice. Looks like a great listening area. Nice views thru the windows there also. Would like to see the speakers when you get everything installed.

Walls will be a mishmash - short wall behind speakers will be tongue & groove like floors. Rest will probably be siding like on the outside or bare. Do have some insulation to scavenge yet & maybe some paneling....

Ok. Since you have not yet installed any inside wall coverings, consider furring out 3 of them so that none of the interior wall surfaces are parallel. Still want them planar and flat, that just looks better, but making the room just a couple inches out of square on the inside. Same with the ceiling ridge if possible. Not enough to be noticable except upon close inspection, and extertior walls should still be square and plumb. It's a bit extra work, but will help prevent standing waves in the listening room.

No pics but got it enclosed & a door up today brrr. Now been reading on room treatments, man a lot to absorb but will try my best to diffuse the situation!

Got the wall up where speakers will sit - good bad or ugly idea dunno. I had some panels that were an old counter front so I put them in the corners toed like the speakers will sit, with lots of insulation behind.IMG_20171228_134756.jpg IMG_20171228_134751.jpg IMG_20171228_134803.jpg

Built a workbench across back wall today, put carpet padding on speaker wall, put some crappy blue shag carpet on floor & drug the speakers in. Moving speakers in was premature as I will have to move them around now but just had to see them in there.
Yeah they are kind of ugly...IMG_20171229_125352.jpg

I have not spent very much at all on Room treatment. Look around craigslist for cubicle dividers they are the little fake walls and are made of sound absorption material and can be used as reflection points and then talk to people who rebuild offices and they use "sound and safe" in the rebuild and that is the material for bass traps

Back
Top Bottom