New listening space/mancave in the works!

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by 81spirit, Dec 21, 2017.

1. HunterMcD

HunterMcD Everything louder than everyone else Subscriber

Awesome! Nice to see building materials put to good use rather than end up in a dumpster. Hers a pic of what I did in my space for sound treatments. I used the safe and sound insulation that djnagle mentioned. They’re just 2x4 frames with the battens put vertically in between them. Build the frames about an inch smaller on each side and they stay in place fine. Covered them with a roll of cheap burlap. Made a huge difference in the sound, and the room is all brick! EFB42FAC-E627-477E-B0B9-CF937371CCA9.jpeg

KDAC and 81spirit like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

I think I can scrounge enough stuff for some traps & have found a simple design for some diffuser panels. Going to have to do something to ceiling for sure also.

3. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

HunterMcD likes this.
  4. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Thanks dj that is the one I downloaded list night. Looks simple enough & I do have plenty 1x!

5. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

I am building one 12 feet by 3 feet thst will go on the wall behind my speakers. I already have one for the back of the room. I like diffusion because it does not deaden the room .

6. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Enjoyed some listening today, awesome but need to work on some subs. Better bass than the Altec A-7s in my last setup but still need more! My phone/picture skills suck - going to enlist wifes help after this lol.

Attached Files:

Old Guy8 and judsonw like this.

7. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Have some bass in the place now. Friend gave me a Dean Markley powered mixer with rca in - 100watts running a 10" Peerless sub in cheapo ported Yamaha cabinet. Then ran a 100 watt mono Altec amp powering a RF car sub in sealed box. Both have homebrew passive x overs that should be 100-150hz . Bunch of moving around produced better than expected results. Happy with it but the car sub specs close enough to run in a BFM THTLP folded horn sub cabinet & I have plywood...

Attached Files:

8. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Added another sub(bucket sub), painted stands & got most of the parts cut for the folded horn sub.

Attached Files:

HunterMcD likes this.
  9. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Here's a pic of what my speaker cabs were originally. They were a curb find - still had the EV mid horns & drivers which I ebayed. Modified them quite a bit. Cut the tops off where the mid horns were & put Altec 811b horns on top. Then added to the depth of cabinets to make up volume loss. With JBL G-135 woofers & Altec 806 drivers they sounded pretty good. Then I found a pair of Altec A-7 cabinets. The Kustoms then went into storage until moving time, stuck the 619s in & sold to daughters bf. Glad he sold them back!

Attached Files:

10. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Spirit81,
    Colors and patterns take me right back to 1970. Don't know if that's what you were going for.
    Old Guy

11. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Mostly tye dyes in my wardrobe Old Guy.
    Did many things wrong but new sub turned out awesome - only need the one now.
    Driver didn't quite meet specs & plywood is 3/8 instead of 1/2, not Baltic birch.....

Attached Files:

Old Guy8 likes this.

12. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Changes! Brought out the Onkyo HT receiver from house & promptly blew both tweeters in the Altec 619s. Fortunately had brought along some horns from a previous ewave type project. Added some $9 MCM compression drivers. Also got a 2.1 preamp(with sub filter & level controls $10) off aliexpress & put it in the box with 2 TPA 3116 amps for bi-amping. Picked up a dual channel Peavey mixer - main channel for tuba sub - monitor powering 2 Cubo 12 subs. Sources are Roku & Samsung bluray.
    El cheapo pre & amps wont crank like the 100wpc receiver but sounds WAY better!
    Done changing things up for awhile.

Attached Files:

13. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like your style. Don't get stuck in there. A common problem with men and there man caves

djnagle and 81spirit like this.