New listening space.. new system

update

man I love living in the tri state area.. the craigslist finds are obscene.

I got my hands on a mint onkyo integra M-504- with recapped power supply!

I'm a huge fan of Integra stuff, hopefully this has some synergy with my Integra research pre/pro

going to use this for mids/highs in my NHT 3.3, and keep the brute hafler for the lows

BGJfeV4.jpg

vhSOSZv.jpg

LplLiFk.jpg

I'm so hyped man.. will report back after long listening session.

NHT 3.3 horizontal bi amped
Onkyo Integra M504 165wpc mids/highs
hafler P7000 350wpc for lows
van den hul MC magnum/AQ 4 speaker cable

PC foobar feeding pre/pro lossless thrugh a nuforce USB to SPDIF
Integra Research RDC 7.1 pre/pro
2 20amp dedicated lines with hubbel hospital outlets
panamax m5100ex power conditioner
mogami star quad XLR / Magnan Vi Reference RCA
definitive tech powerfield 12

my basement will also be start to be finished next week... dual 5/8 drywall all around with rockwool insulation and resilient channel all around!!

also breeze audio u8 interface in the mail..

I would like to hear your impression on the Breeze Du8
I have that one and a Dixo pro3a I am playing now
there is more in the USB to SPDIF then most people realize

I would like to hear your impression on the Breeze Du8
I have that one and a Dixo pro3a I am playing now
there is more in the USB to SPDIF then most people realize

my breeze audio u8 is still in the mail, I should have it next week

you are very correct though about USB to SPDIF interface

the breeze audio u8 has high quality usb controller usually XMOS chipsets, async usb, low noise power supply, and high quality clock can cut down on a lot of emi/rfi noise as well as tame the jitter on the signal going to the dac, giving you the best possible source signal

I know many like the gustard u12 interface as well, I went for the breeze over some comments on computer audiophile, can't wait to implement into my system

currently I use a async nuforce usb to spdif, its great but it relies on USB power which has its problems

The best info on this subject is on Head Fi by OP rb2013
check it out . I use a Uptone Regen powered by a IFI USB then go into my DIXO PRO 3a SPDIF convertor powered by its own IFI USB to my
METRUM Octave DAC . I am about to make a major change in my digital chain LAN to SPDIF using a Focusrite RedNet 3

The best info on this subject is on Head Fi by OP rb2013
check it out . I use a Uptone Regen powered by a IFI USB then go into my DIXO PRO 3a SPDIF convertor powered by its own IFI USB to my
METRUM Octave DAC . I am about to make a major change in my digital chain LAN to SPDIF using a Focusrite RedNet 3

thanks for info I will check it out, I read head fi quite often always great content there

I had luck using a usb 3.0 expansion pci card that gets power from the 4 pin MOLEX directly from the ATX PSU. I have a seasonic fanless ATX PSU, its power is very clean, this way my usb is completly decoupled from the very noisey motherboard BUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287016

your digital chain is impressive, and I think your going the right direction with the focusrite, the recording industry always make amazing digital interface/clock

a friend of mine uses a apogee big ben masterclock.. you may want to research it and consider for your system many believe its the best in the industry

its 1500usd msrp, but can be found on ebay used for under $600

Last edited:
nudes of the Hafler p7000- this class AB MOSFET gets hot.. not to mention the 300w idle draw haha

keEHXGs.jpg

the 2x 80mm fans aren't audible at listening levels that I use but i'm ordering some korean 24v ultra low db fans off the bay that should improve cooling and lower noise floor

Does anyone have advice how to proceed with upgrading the power cord? or Is it not worth it since I use dedicated lines/high quality outlets w. a panamax power conditioner?
Love MOSFET, beauty is in simplicity ,:jump:
Look at this capacitors,you Beauty:jump:

found another hafler p7000 local.. had to pick it up these are pretty rare in good condition

running 2x as monoblocks, bridged 1050w RMS @ 8ohm per

serious headroom, very impressive sound so far as these NHT 3.3 love power

KYx6wWK.jpg

Congrats on the Local Find.........Pushing Over 1000w :rockon::eek2::smoke:

Nice Setup.

,Mike.

Some beautiful serious gear there my friend - put me in your will? :rflmao:

haha thanks

Some great stuff to work with there! Looking forward to your impressions of the new amp combo.

onkyo m504 165wpc for mids/highs
hafler p7000 350wpc for lows

so far the m504 is everything the hafler was- just more refined and better midrange, I am very impressed. although its not a level playin field, the hafler was run 24/7 for 10+ yrs in a studio and needs a recap for sure!

Love MOSFET, beauty is in simplicity ,:jump:
Look at this capacitors,you Beauty:jump:

I agree 100% I love the MOSFET sound, and the dual mono design with 36k uf capacitance per channel speaks for itself! the unit weighs like over 60 lbs haha
Congrats on the Local Find.........Pushing Over 1000w :rockon::eek2::smoke:

Nice Setup.

,Mike.

yea, I don't use the haflers as bridged monoblocks anymore but when I was.. pure SPL bliss!!!! serious headroom my man

While taking some of my gear in for refurb/checkups to my new tech, really a circuit designer who also does fix it work, in the many hours we've spent talking about things I mentioned I had a Hafler DH-500 but couldn't seem to find a pre that really worked well with it. We then got in to an educational discussion most of which was way over my head about many SS pre's are too fast(I think) for Mosfet's to respond well with. He talked extensively how a good tube pre matches well with any mosfet amp because their natures blend so well together. Got me to thinking that's for sure.

quot from web side; sound stage.com '' tubes and solid state benefit greatly from careful selection of associated equipment. There are amp-preamp combos in both categories which range from terrible to wonderful. Tube and solid state components both benefit from careful selection of the wires you use to connect them to each other and to the rest of your system.''
this quote above is from somebody i agree with.than i said,
knowledge is not everything:beatnik:,how about emotion,without it, you can't consume music :music: :smoke::thumbsup:

Wow. Color me impressed! (And ever so slightly green). Who needs tube amps to heat a basement in the winter when you have those Hafler's!

Wow. Color me impressed! (And ever so slightly green). Who needs tube amps to heat a basement in the winter when you have those Hafler's!

funny you say that.. while im refinishing my basement all my audio stuff is unhooked and in storage, I figured I would hook up one of the haflers in my VERY small bedroom with my PC and desk with from near field monitors just as a system to listen to some stuff.

I come back from work and my room is a straight sauna! crazy how much heat a PC + amp can dissipate. I never really realized it when I had such a large amount of sq footage.

even with a b&k integrated amp and my PC is enough to heat the room..

so I broke down my system and moved everything in a storage area to make room for the finishing of the basement

OM1B3vZ.jpg

all the amps I wasnt actively using, my integra equipment is on another rack

and I set up a temporary system for the 2 weeks the project should take, in a office I had upstairs

Monitor audio PMC 700 bookshelves
b&k av202 receiver- works great as for all analog circuitry with the direct stereo mode. 105wpc beefy torodial and caps
Pinnacle baby boomer, using the line level inputs with the built in xover at 70hz. It integrates with the monitor audios amazing
Ultra Fi iRoc TDA1543 based DAC, uses highly quality components and sounds amazing, not as refined as my dual different pcm1704s but its definitely more warm/analog like

basic system sounds great though. Near field listening is like cheating...

bX2Dhx0.jpg

nFpEmHf.jpg

Lot's of power! I dig that Onkyo 504. Iconic meters in that beast. Why did you swap the woofers for Madisound provided ones?

Lot's of power! I dig that Onkyo 504. Iconic meters in that beast. Why did you swap the woofers for Madisound provided ones?

I had a amp blow that cooked the vc of the NHT 1259 woofer, and there wasn't a used or NOS available that would match it, so I got 2 scanspeak woofer which modelled extremely well, even better than the stock woofer! they are designed by the guy who makes the scanspeak revelator line of drivers, that are very commonly used in recent high end speakers

the NHT 3.3s use true subwoofers, cross over @ 100hz, and in a 3cu ft sealed enclosure seperated from the rest of the drivers.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...s/scanspeak-discovery-30w/4558t-12-subwoofer/

N9YAsa1.jpg

now that the subwoofers are broken in they sound amazing, amazing SPL even at frequencies below 25hz

I had a amp blow that cooked the vc of the NHT 1259 woofer, and there wasn't a used or NOS available that would match it, so I got 2 scanspeak woofer which modelled extremely well, even better than the stock woofer! they are designed by the guy who makes the scanspeak revelator line of drivers, that are very commonly used in recent high end speakers

the NHT 3.3s use true subwoofers, cross over @ 100hz, and in a 3cu ft sealed enclosure seperated from the rest of the drivers.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...s/scanspeak-discovery-30w/4558t-12-subwoofer/

N9YAsa1.jpg

now that the subwoofers are broken in they sound amazing, amazing SPL even at frequencies below 25hz
That's cool. I've often contemplated swapping woofers in the 2 way infinities with the EMIT tweeters for something more capable. They're such easy speakers to come by and I love those ribbons

Back
Top Bottom