New LPR35 tape..Question?

MOPARWIZ

Audio Angler
I recently purchased three 10.5 reels of LPR35 tape from US Recording. I am using it on a freshly restored RT-909 and one that hasnt been restored.

The problem is that the tape keeps loosing oxide. I am not talking about a little bit, but what I feel like is alot in my book. I can only record half of one side before having to totally clean the heads. I have talked to some other people that are having the same problem.

My question is, Is there anyone else that has had an issue with this?

I have contacted US Recording and have been given some reasons that I find are a little on the lame side such as the first ten foot needs to be cut off of the reel before playing etc. Even after doing this on a fresh reel, I still get oxide shed. Not sticky shed. Oxide loss would be the better term.

I plan on calling RMGI and finding out what the scoop is and as soon as I find out anything I will post. Meanwhile if you have never purchased this tape, you might want to reconsider before you do at least untill some light is SHED on the subject.

Interesting. I have two reels of LPR35, and have had no problems with them. I've run them on a modified Tascam 34B, an Akai GX-630 and an Ampex 354.

Is the shedding only manifest on one deck, or does the same reel misbehave the same way regardless of the machine it's run on? If it's only on one deck, look closely to determine where the shedding tends to collect. There may be a burr on a fixed tape guide or post scratching the oxide off the tape as it passes over it. Years of use of a tape machine will wear grooves in more places than just the heads. (Look for frayed taped edges or scratch lines running down the length of the tape.)

Or do all the other tapes you have run, play and record just fine?

When you say that the deck has been freshly restored, have the heads been relapped?

Those pioneers have very soft heads that can wear some pretty deep groves. If your heads have groves, that will cause most tapes tapes to shed along the edges. If have have adjusted the azimuth on your heads, and they have groves, then that can really cause problems as the tape scrapes its way along the sides of the grove walls.

All of the heads were relaped. I have since checked all the guides and they were fine. I cleaned the heads again last night, de maged and started recording on a fresh reel. As of now I have had no more problems. I think that there could have been something on the erase head that was causing the problem. What ever the problem was it seems to be solved at this point. I have not lost any oxide since the last cleaning.

Glad to hear it is working OK now. Please keep an eye on this for us and report back. I was going to buy a ton of this tape for my Otaris for some live recording, and I can't afford to have oxide shedding all over the place!

This unit has had the transport completely disassembled/cleaned/adjusted, the heads relapped, all guides rotated to fresh surfaces, tension rollers rebuilt, all motor and brake torques dialed in, complete recap, complete REC/PLAY calibration...the whole works.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom