1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

New Marantz 2-channel vs Vintage 70's Receiver

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by _tk, Jul 10, 2018.

1. _tk

_tk New Member

I heard this is the place to be for Marantz questions and I have a question that hopefully folks can help me out with.

I have a few vintage 70's Marantz Receivers that I've picked up over the years (2226B, 2252, 2265B). Currently, I'm using my 2265B as my main 2-channel unit in my den. I previously had a Yamaha A-S701 and was completely unsatisfied with the sound of it (way too "sterile" vs the older Marantz units).

I'm in need of a unit in another location in the house that's more modern and one that the kids and wife can play with. It'll do vinyl, streaming, CD, etc. I was looking really hard at the PM8005 and PM8006 Int. amps, but no one has them around to listen to. Obviously they probably won't duplicate that sound from the 70's, but are they even remotely close? I read thoughts of these on the internet and opinions are all over the place on them. Some say the Bass is lacking, some say they sound scratchy, etc. All seem to agree that the phono is decent and they have decent power.

Anyone with any experience on the PM8005/8006 units? I'm not going to use a sub, so if the bass is lacking it might be an issue. On my 2265B if the bass is 3/4 the way up it runs you out of the room (which sometimes I don't mind). Buying one from the online retailers for a demo is really my last resort, but it may come to that. Otherwise, should I be looking at a different brand or model?

Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. airtime

airtime Super Member

I have the PM8004 and to be very honest I think there is something very wrong with it. A horribly rolled off top end. What the heck were the engineers thinking???????? Because I wasn't the only one with that review. Now I think the newer lines MAY have corrected that?

But on the plus side it did have a full lush warm sound. The Tritone controls are great and it has EXCELLENT built quality parts. Elna Silmic caps and REAL resistors, not SMD resistors. The thing looks like a million bucks but a vintage unit rebuilt will BLOW it away.

wlhd1610 likes this.
  3. _tk

_tk New Member

So my redone 2265B will probably sound way better than the PM8006? I saw the internal pics of the 8006 and I was impressed (compared to other units, like the Yamaha that I sold).

What about the phono section? I haven't really put a lot of listening time into the phono section on my older units so I"m not sure how they compare to today's units.

4. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Sponsor Subscriber

The 2265B is very similar to the 2285B and both are very fine units once fully restored.

Bob

5. airtime

airtime Super Member

Like I said the built quality and the parts quality are excellent. But the sonics or voicing of the unit is a disappointment.

Trust me I have the 8004 - Get the 2265b rebuilt.

6. charles 1973

charles 1973 Super Member

It probably depends on which vintage receiver we are comparing the new one to. My guess is the new Marantz may outshine some vintage units that have fallen out of spec. That said, Marantz (and some other brands too) made some very good receivers in the 70's. I would not be surprised if the 2265B is as good or better than a bunch of new receivers and amps, Including some Marantz for overall SQ. Those vintage Marantz receivers are among my favorite.

Synergy play's a big role between receivers/amps and speakers too. While it is unlikely to match many vintage Marantz receivers, My new Yamaha Aventage Dolby Atmos Rx-A770 AVR still does an commendable job in stereo with my Energy RC-30 Tower speakers. Some speakers work best with amps voiced on the lean (or what some call sterile) side. Most speakers probably work better with amps voiced more on the neutral or warm side though.

I like the features of new amps like the Marantz 8006 and it seems to some fine reviews. I also like Rega's Brio, and wouldn't hesitate to buy either one if I needed another amp.

7. _tk

_tk New Member

I really wanted to use a new unit in this particular room though. Yes, I could put one of my vintage units in there, but I don't need my kids and their friends mashing the buttons on the front or spinning the wheel. I wanted something with a remote that I could hide.

But this will also be for me, so I wanted something with that classic sound. I was hoping the PM8006 would be the unit, but so far it seems that even though it's well built, it might not be anything like the old ones.

8. airtime

airtime Super Member

Why not order from Crutchfield that has a 30 day return policy. I'd sell you mine but I already tried recapping it in an attempt to get more treble out of it.

9. _tk

_tk New Member

That's odd. Most new amps seem to have too much treble and not enough bass.

Crutchfield is the plan if I end up pulling the trigger on the 8006.

10. Stratman

Stratman AK Subscriber Subscriber

My fully restored 2265B was an absolute gem. I don't think you're missing much by using an old unit.

airtime likes this.
  11. rob Brandt

rob Brandt Active Member

The TOL Marantz gear is extraordinary (think $25,000.00)--but they also admit they were built along the lines of the old gear--60's and 70's. HT shit is just that. If you want the best HT gear, buy the Marantz. Then get a vintage unit for your music. I had two systems in my listening/viewing room for years. At some point I stopped using the Yamaha for movies and then, finally, removed all of the digital gear entirely. Gave my 14 year old the Yamaha--only until I rebuild another 105B to go with the 140 and 1060 I put away for him years ago when he was a baby. I still have a Mac mini which serves as a digital file server. But mostly that's for movies and when I'm lazy and want some muzak.