New marantz 2500 transformer

shroomdog

Did anyone here buy the 2500 transformer on that auction site last week ? I saw it at 3.30 am with what I know was a really really good price . I was going to buy it as a spare but have seen on here how a few people need them .I saw it sold by 6.00 or close to that . I would have gotten it but realize how lucky I am and that there are alot of great techs and people on here who share their wealth of knowledge at no cost to people like me , who love our Marantzs. God bless you all . If any of the techs who were trying to find a place to rewind these transformer needs some help with the finacial end of developement and the time it takes to accomplish such a feat , I for one would like to help since I can do basic repairs but would rather just turn up the volume on my receiver. I remember some techs talking about pursuing rewinding the 2500 transformer , I think it was about Patfronts 2500 just quit working . Any updates ? I for one would be in for a couple replacements as I have a couple friends with 2500s . Thanks again everyone ,especially all the great techs ,
Shroomdog

blhagstrom is working on getting some replacements made,be patient.

Bob

ps- I just checked ebay completed sales .
Someone got a hell of a deal for $200 for a nos 2500 transformer!!

ps- I just checked ebay completed sales .
Someone got a hell of a deal for $200 for a nos 2500 transformer!!

Sheesh, no kidding. It came and went before my followed search even notified me. Gah! :mad: Every time I press the 2500's power button, I wonder if today's the day...

Every time I press the 2500's power button, I wonder if today's the day...

That is why I would rather have my 2385, it doesn't have the transformer issue that the 2500/2600 have and there is no fan to worry about, and at 185 WPC ( true output is probably closer to 200 WPC ) it is more than powerful enough for me. The scope and extra power just don't seem to be worth the risk, IMHO. :no:

It was anderslober's 2500 that died one day.
Its here now.
I am working to get new ones designed and made and as expected it is taking time.

FWIW, I am concerned that used ones may not be reliable. Both 120v and multi volt versions die.
I suspect the potting epoxy or winding process on the originals is causing an age related weakness.

Just saw a 2500 on eBay come on go quick with a dead tranny.

That is why I would rather have my 2385, it doesn't have the transformer issue that the 2500/2600 have and there is no fan to worry about, and at 185 WPC ( true output is probably closer to 200 WPC ) it is more than powerful enough for me. The scope and extra power just don't seem to be worth the risk, IMHO. :no:

I don't necessarily disagree. See that 2385 sitting next to the 2500 in my sig? It gets used a whole lot more than its older brother for that reason. The 2500 is a beautiful piece though, and I applaud blhagstrom's effort's to support them. I'd definitely buy one of his forthcoming trannys to keep on hand as a spare.

I don't necessarily disagree. See that 2385 sitting next to the 2500 in my sig? It gets used a whole lot more than its older brother for that reason. The 2500 is a beautiful piece though, and I applaud blhagstrom's effort's to support them. I'd definitely buy one of his forthcoming trannys to keep on hand as a spare.
+1

Yes I do, and I am envious that you have a 2385 "and" a 2500! :) Other than power output, do they sound similar to each other?

Honest answer, I don't think I could differentiate between the two in a blind test in most listening situations. The 2500 does a better job filling out the sound stage of big dynamics or power thirsty planars, but I rarely have occasion to turn it loose in a large enough space to notice.

Honest answer, I don't think I could differentiate between the two in a blind test in most listening situations. The 2500 does a better job filling out the sound stage of big dynamics or power thirsty planars, but I rarely have occasion to turn it loose in a large enough space to notice.

Yup, I have 2385 and have run 2500 a bit. One goes to 10, the other goes to 11. But most listening is at 1.

They do have nice "fat bottoms" though. The bass is lucious.

I'm chomping at the bit to get my 2500 restored!! Anxious to hear what all of you are hearing.
"Fat bottoms" is my kinda sound. Now I need to get a 2385 of course :p

Yup, I have 2385 and have run 2500 a bit. One goes to 10, the other goes to 11. But most listening is at 1.

They do have nice "fat bottoms" though. The bass is lucious.

Have you ever checked to see what the actual output of your 2385 is? If so, I am curious to know what the true output is. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that it is in 220 wpc range, that seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but Marantz was famous for under rating there gear.

Have you ever checked to see what the actual output of your 2385 is? If so, I am curious to know what the true output is. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that it is in 220 wpc range, that seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but Marantz was famous for under rating there gear.
Output Ratings were the guaranteed minimum power output at a specified distortion.
Variances in parts forced the rating to be on the low side.
Actual output could be much higher but may be outside the distortion spec.
I doubt any buyers ever had a performance lab set up to test their new gear for spec compliance.
Hearing a difference in one one hundredth of a percent distortion at 200wpc would be difficult.

Know anyone that took a new car and floored it to see if it really could go as fast as the speedometer says?

Thanks for the reply.

Know anyone that took a new car and floored it to see if it really could go as fast as the speedometer says?

When I was 17 year old teenager I tried that with my 1973 Impala, if I remember right the speedo went up to 120 mph, It got real light and unstable around 90 mph, scared the hell out of me! lesson learned.

Thanks for the reply.

When I was 17 year old teenager I tried that with my 1973 Impala, if I remember right the speedo went up to 120 mph, It got real light and unstable around 90 mph, scared the hell out of me! lesson learned.

Completely off-topic, but in the early 90s (pre-cell phone days) I had a worn out 6-cylinder 65 Mustang well north of 100mph trying to get away from a drunk or drugged driver who kept trying to hit me on the interstate. The needle was bouncing at the top of the speedometer scale. That was a bit of a white knuckle ride, for sure.

Still off topic...

In my younger days (no wife and kids- early 90s), I had a 5.0l injected V8 VN Berlina (Aussie Commodore) and its speedo went to 220km/hr. I took it off the clock several times late at night when nobody was in sight for several km along a dead straight section of freeway. (circa 230-235km/hr)

Haven't gone over 110km/hr now for decades. Must be gettin' old.

Off topic,
I had to drill consecutive 1/8" holes through the plastic that covers my chevy truck speedo past 100mph so i could see how fast it went after putting a Ramjet 383 in it. The truck is a 3/4 ton and was quite stabler over 120.
I went 135mph in my 69 chevelle SS about 35 years ago. That car almost killed me a few times. It was never right after i spun it around in the road on a curve, sliding across the other lane into the ditch @ 80mph and bending the frame.
Ahh, the good old days....

To get a little on topic.

I have tried to reach the manufacturer for over a week now and left messages and had the receptionist promise to tell them to contact me.

Still waiting.

That's the problem being a "small" customer with "special" needs. We become a little side project deal.

Back
Top Bottom