New MC 452, First Impressions

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JosephH, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

I understand the piece about thinking about the MC601’s. I very much get the frustration with the Meter issue. I encountered that with a restored Sansui 2110SC Deck, but got the meter situation resolved. The left one was not moving. Another issue I had was with the Gas Tube green light on the power Toggle switch of the Acurus A250 Amp, it flickered and went out, but managed to get that fixed. I do not like it when gear is not working properly. Sounds like the MC452 or a pair of 601’s are in your future.

gmc likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. quartersaw

quartersaw Well-Known Member

The front glass gave me pause. The '452 sat bolted to the bottom of the carton for two days before I got it up, and running. The displaced Mc2300 is still sitting in the Foyer on the floor...

3. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Was the front glass plate on MC452 undamaged? Am a little worried now. Mine has been sitting for a week on the Living Room Floor in the box. What are your plans for MC2300?

4. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

No worries! The 452 was packed to survive a bomb blast! I just had to get it up and running!

5. JosephH

Thanks! I have a long way to go yet..... I will be sure to get pictures along the way.

6. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Good to hear, I broke down and bought some Cherry shelves today. All good will place a couple of pairs of iso-acoustic pucks on the Maple board to isolate it from the shelf. Question now is setup configuration and placement. I think sometimes I think too much about this.

7. JosephH

It's almost impossible to do this, and why would you? System set up is very important and part of the fun of getting new gear! Enjoy the entire process!

8. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Great, looking forward to it

9. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Yes, True I did enjoy the last time I put in a piece, thx for reminder, will take my time and take it all in.

10. quartersaw

I just wanted to be careful with the 110 lb. amp, since my lower back is not in the greatest shape. The ‘452 is in fine condition.
    I’ve got the 2300 on Craigslist, but if it doesn’t move soon, I’m going to put it back into ‘strapped’ mode.

11. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Sorry to hear about your Back. Know what that is like, my Back is not great either. Have you had much success with Craigslist? I have my Rotel RB1572 Amp up for grabs and had an offer from a fellow audiophile at our local shop, but he cannot pick up until mid-July.

12. quartersaw

Not much of an Audiophile audience on Craigslist. No bites so far, but I've become leery of E Bay in the last few years. I'd rather sell to someone who can see, and audition the amp, anyway. I don't want to deal with the remote possibility of a 140 lb. return via the 'Bay..

13. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Feel the same way about having individual audition before buying.

14. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

15. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

16. JosephH

My concerns exactly. I have been procrastinating some things myself. Even if you do everything right, E-bay gives the buyer an awful lot of leeway with returns. Out McIntosh gear is too precious to allow it to fall into the hands of a part swapping fraudster. .

quartersaw likes this.

17. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

So there is no MC462?

18. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Do not get, 10watts? What did I miss?

19. JosephH

It will be interesting to find out what we missed by a mere month. Check out the link above. Some members speculated incremental improvements such as more dynamic headroom. I am certainly hitting the PG lights more often than I thought I would! :rockon:

quartersaw and ps7256 like this.
  20. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

Great marketing ploy. There will always be some audiophiles who have the insatiable need to own the latest and greatest even if they owned the last one for only a week. The saliva will keep running out of their mouths.

ps7256 likes this.