New MC 452, First Impressions

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JosephH, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Same for my 452, but it still in the box in the living room.

kevzep likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

You have NO credibility until your "neglected" MC 452 is released from its cardboard jail and sings!!! ;)

kevzep likes this.
  3. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

HaHa, Totally Agree! The Build is feeling Goood!:beerchug:

4. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

It looks as though the price for the McIntosh MC462 will be $9000 USD.

ps7256 likes this.
  5. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

I wonder how this piece really compares to the 601’s. With stated increase from 1.8db to 3.0db, 66% DH and improved base.

6. gmc

gmc AK Subscriber Subscriber

What do you mean by improved base? If you mean aesthetically, I actually prefer the MC452 (though the differences, to me, aren't too drastic).

The increase in dynamic headroom looks impressive, but is the MC452 lacking, at all, in this regard? Is this something that is easily perceived, or just something that looks good on paper? I know the MC462 was just announced, and that no previous MC452 owners have a MC462 yet. As somebody who is contemplating a MC452, or MC601, purchase, I am looking for answers, not trying to stir the pot.

ps7256 likes this.

7. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Hi GMC, meant Bass, my error. I as well prefer the flow of the MC452 more, not partial to the squareness of the case for Transformer and Aurtoformers. It will be interesting to look at the Reviews that come out and listen at my Dealers when they arrive, but will have to wait and hear. I remember when I brought the Demo MC452 home before purchasing and was immediately taken by not just detail in the Tracks I enjoy the most, but music at lower volume. C47 and MC452 are another great match. I am wondering about now the new MC611 Monoblocks.

8. gmc

I heard the MC611s a few weeks ago, but don't recall them sounding any more impressive than the MC601s. Granted, my time with each set up was limited, and each were driving different speakers. I do recall the MC601s sounding better than the MC452 but, again, they were driving different speaker systems.

Since before the announcement of the MC462, or even the MC611s, I have been trying to decide between the MC452, and MC601s, as my next amps. Because I will likely be buying used, the "old" models are likely still my choices. The MC601s were my first choice but, thinking about it, I don't have a lot of space in my rack, and I may not get around to converting my 15A outlets to 20A anytime soon. Plus, the MC452 is so beautiful, and a lot less expensive;
    I am, maybe, having second thoughts.

ps7256 likes this.
  9. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

This is a quote from an owner of both MC601 and MC452 on AA.
    ‘I own 3 601s and a 452 they are very close. Power wise the 452 is a real 550 watt amp at 2 4 or 8 ohm loads and will drive most everything, is very fast, quiet amazing 2ch amp. I think the best MAC has every made no question. [​IMG]

On the 601s, they are closer to 800+ watts and the main diff other than more power is that the separation seems a slight bit better, and maybe they are a tab bit faster.

But the 452 you wont go wrong[​IMG]

quartersaw likes this.
  10. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Worry not. You'll be able to drive MC601s to Power Guard flashing levels on a single 15A outlet. I personally want to see you maximize what you already have before upgrading.

11. gmc

I realize this, but, then again, if he owns three MC601s, it is likely for home theater, which wouldn't be my application.

I know that a single MC452 is likely all I will ever need, however, having experienced strapped MC2300s, I am aware of how much of a difference going from a single stereo amp, to mono blocks, made. With the MC452 the point may by moot, but I've got to shake the thought that the MC601s would be worth the extra time, and money, that it would take, before completely abandoning the idea.

That is good to hear!
    I sent you a PM, so as not to derail this thread.

12. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

This comparison makes a lot of sense. I just couldn't justify the significant difference in price to step up from the 452 to 601/611's. Mono blocks will always win the separation comparison, but the 452 is as quiet and dynamic as almost anything out there. The extra headroom with the 462 would be nice, but again, the upgraded price from what I paid for an end of cycle 452 just doesn't make sense.

gmc and ps7256 like this.
  13. gmc

All of you guys with MC452s are definitely sitting pretty.

ps7256 likes this.
  14. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

My MC452 is still in the box. Called my dealer Friday to find out what the cost difference would be to pick up the MC462. If it is reasonable I might do it, but suffice it to say I was smitten when I demoed the MC452 5 weeks ago. Either way I am feeling good. The increased specs for the MC462 will be interesting at low to moderate volume levels.

15. ps7256

ps7256 New Member

Thx gmc