New MC275 and Revel Salons

truman

I have Revel Salon speakers. They have a rated sensitivity of 86 db, with nominal impedance of 6 ohms and minimum impedance of 3 ohms. They use a 4-way design, with three 8" bass woofers, one 6.5" midbass driver, a 4" midrange driver, and both front and backfiring 1" tweeters. I am currently driving them with Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 12 monos (200 wpc). The preamp is a Meridian 861 processor, with XLR outputs.

I would like to try a tube amp, and am interested in the new version of the MC 275 (my dad had one, and he would get a real kick seeing it in my system). Does anyone have an opinion as to how well a stereo MC 275 or two 275s run in mono mode would drive the Salons, for both music and theater applications?

If you don't think the 275 will work, and have any experience comparing Jeff Rowland amps with big Mac SS amps (especially the 501 monos), I would be curious to hear about that as well.

Hi truman
I have a JRDG Model 10 and a Mc275CE, driving either ML Sequel II or Tannoy Turnberry.
The pre is a JRDG Synergy IIi with XLR.

And I'm really happy with :cool: Both amps are neutral, a bit warm.
GO and pick your dad's amp !!! and give us a report !
One Mc275MkIV may work, it depends on your room size and listening levels.

Happy listening

Hi, welcome aboard.
My speakers have almost identical specs to your Revels and I drive them very comfortably with an MC 240. I also occasionally drive them with a pair of MC 754's bridged (200wpc) as well but the 240 is really the amp I prefer. I can't imagine that a 275 would be anything but magic in your system. I've never had a problem with any of my McAmps driving any speakers at all (this is not true of some other well respected amps that I have tried).
However, be forewarned.... you'll need a couple of days off work to rediscover your music collection... Report back soon!
Regrdz
Bill

Back
Top Bottom