New MC275 Red Plating Out of the Box

I'm not sure how they handle.
I was just thinking if magnolia was the dealer , perhaps they'd give you a tube or 2 for testing or if they have one on display, you could bring your tubes in (maybe # them with painters tape to keep placement straight)
And they could swap your tubes into demo unit one at a time until bad one shows.
It may seem convoluted but I'd rather travel with a small box of tubes than a 50 lb amp that could get damaged moving back and forth.:idea:

(67lbs)!
And no I'm not naive about how heavy the big SS get:rolleyes:

Finally got some cables and swapped the outer KT88s: same results. Swapped the inner KT88s: same results. Small three left channel tubes light up red after about 10-15 seconds.

The second KT88 from the left feels like it's getting way hotter than any of the other tubes and it doesn't feel like it's seated properly no matter how much I try. Maybe it's a bad socket?

Finally got some cables and swapped the outer KT88s: same results. Swapped the inner KT88s: same results. Small three left channel tubes light up red after about 10-15 seconds.

The second KT88 from the left feels like it's getting way hotter than any of the other tubes and it doesn't feel like it's seated properly no matter how much I try. Maybe it's a bad socket?
Take it back to the dealer and ask that they exchange it - you bought a new amp with a warranty.

As said before, a SMALL tube can be defective and cause this protection trip...

Thanks,
Ron-C

I think if the dealer were a large mac dealer with heavy volume they might give him a set of tubes to swap (maybe with a deposit , or not) returning the defective set and submitting to mac for reimbursement/ replacement. I suspect (and i could be entirely wrong) Magnolia gives mac wide spread exposure and distribution. I think few people in the store would know much about this.
This is just my take, granted. I think you have a new buyer (who aside from having the tube light up issues seems to feel there's a possibly defective socket) I have a good handle on this and if it were me i'd bring it back and have them make it right (if it were just a defective tube which it likely is, let them change it) I don't really see there being an issue. They'll make it right and he'll be happy at the end of the day.

Magnolia can handle the tube issue as they have a lot of experience with the MC275.

Tube amps are heavy and it is often easier to change a tube rather than lug the amp around. This is why the Sentry Monitor circuit was designed to steer the user to the correct channel. Replacing a defective tube is part of the tube experience.
The dealer will replace any defective tube for 90 days as has always been the case since 1949.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I'm happy to try out some troubleshooting, as I work in IT and it's certainly helpful to have the end user provide some more information while working on an issue. That being said I fiddled with the smaller tubes as well to no avail.

Rather than risk breaking something further I contacted my Magnolia dealer and they had a new 275 in hand within a couple of days. I brought it home, got it set up, and we're good to go. I had tubes at one point a long time ago and am quickly coming up to speed on the quirks associated with this type of equipment. I appreciate all the helpful feedback and am excited to finally be a part of the McIntosh family. Now to find a good pre-amp to match...

Glad to hear everything is working out for you. Let us know which preamp you choose please.

Back
Top Bottom