New McIntosh System

rocknroll1

I am thinking about a new system. The reason is to convert 2 systems into 1. Currently I have a Accuphase P400/c240 running my JBL 300's and MC 30's/c20 (completely restored by audio classics) running my cornwalls in my main listening room. I am very happy with both systems the way they are matched now but would like to find a system that would run both sets of speakers (not at the same time). I felt the MC 30's was not pushing the 300's which are my favorite speakers but sounded awesome with the cornwalls. I play mostly vinyl thru my VPI TNT TT/ MP 100 phone pre amp when listening in this room so digital is not that important. I love that TT but have to move it back and forth between systems. I will save streaming for my downstairs system. I might at some point add a CD player. Sorry for the long explanation but this brings me to my question, what would y'all recommend, I just am not that familiar with the newer gear. I would probably stay with mcintosh new but not scared of used. I was looking at a c2600 but I think thats more towards digital.

Since the C240 has two pairs of output jacks, why not simply use them to feed both the MC30s and the P400 and in turn their respective speakers. If you wish retain use of the C20 ahead of the MC30s, use the C240's REC output jacks to the C20's AUX jacks.

L300's are 6 to 7 db less efficient than your Cornwalls. So that means you need 4 times the power. Paul Klipsch recommended 20 watt amps for Corner horns and 100 watt amps for Cornwalls after listening and living with CD's for long periods. That isn't really necessary FOR MOST FOLKS unless in very soft large rooms .
Most of the time I lived with Corn walls 1 watt was plenty for me. I would think 100 watts is all you will every need for your L300's with 2 to 3 watts most of the time. I would recommend a MC 7100 or a MC 754 to keep a lid on prices. I'm not really fond of the 2000 series of SS amps. Though a 2255 is a very special piece. I will say if you like tubes the new 275 is much improved over the original. A 275 might just be the answer to tame the Accuphase .

L300's are 6 to 7 db less efficient than your Cornwalls. So that means you need 4 times the power. Paul Klipsch recommended 20 watt amps for Corner horns and 100 watt amps for Cornwalls after listening and living with CD's for long periods. That isn't really necessary FOR MOST FOLKS unless in very soft large rooms .
Most of the time I lived with Corn walls 1 watt was plenty for me. I would think 100 watts is all you will every need for your L300's with 2 to 3 watts most of the time. I would recommend a MC 7100 or a MC 754 to keep a lid on prices. I'm not really fond of the 2000 series of SS amps. Though a 2255 is a very special piece. I will say if you like tubes the new 275 is much improved over the original. A 275 might just be the answer to tame the Accuphase .

MC 275 is kind of what I was thinking about. Specs say 75 WPC, if you run them as mono blocks does that mean 150 WPC? Can you hook up 2 sets of speakers and A and B them?

Last edited:
MC 275 is kind of what I was thinking about. Specs say 75 WPC, if you run them as mono blocks does that mean 150 WPC? Can you hook up 2 sets of speakers and AQ and B them?
Personally I would mix it up, get a mac preamp like a c2300, c2500, c100, c200
Use your mc30s as one power source for one pair of speakers, the cornwalls

Get a SS amp for the L300s, and I would be looking at power here, 300, 400+ watts, they love power and will sound different with a lot of it.

Get a SS amp for the L300s, and I would be looking at power here, 300, 400+ watts, they love power and will sound different with a lot of it.
Pretty much what I already have already with the exception the SS p400 is only 200 wpc. I am happy with what I have if I don't get 1 system to run it all.

I thought the idea was to use your existing equipment to create "one system out of two". I don't see how an MC275 fits into this. I must be missing something.

Get a SS amp for the L300s, and I would be looking at power here, 300, 400+ watts, they love power and will sound different with a lot of it.[/QUOTE

Do those pre amps support 2 different amps hooked up at the same time? What newer SS amps push 300-400 WPC?

Newer McAmps pushing 300 - 400 would be the MC352, MC452, MC501 (monoblocks), MC601 (ditto), MC 611 (ditto), MC301 (ditto), MC302, plus the integrated MA9000 & MA8000.

I gotta say that even though my MC501's are "older" amps, my pair sound fantastic. I was fortunate enough to find a low hours pair that a former dealer had purchased, then stashed away for a system he ended up not building.

Since the C240 has two pairs of output jacks, why not simply use them to feed both the MC30s and the P400 and in turn their respective speakers. If you wish retain use of the C20 ahead of the MC30s, use the C240's REC output jacks to the C20's AUX jacks.
I am pretty sure it has 1 set of balanced and 1 set of unbalanced. I am using the balanced with the P400. Could i hook the mc30's to the unbalanced as long as they are both not turned on at the same time? Would that mean it is only sending signal to the unit turned on? I kind of like your idea of using the c240 rec out > c20 aux in. Will that be as clean of a signal with c240 injected into the path?

I am pretty sure it has 1 set of balanced and 1 set of unbalanced. I am using the balanced with the P400. Could i hook the mc30's to the unbalanced as long as they are both not turned on at the same time? Would that mean it is only sending signal to the unit turned on? I kind of like your idea of using the c240 rec out > c20 aux in. Will that be as clean of a signal with c240 injected into the path?
At least with Mac you can use to XLR and RCAs at the same time. I don’t see why you couldn’t as well with the preamp you have.

Looks to me like it has 2 sets of unbalanced outputs + 1 set of balanced outputs for a total of 3. No reason the unbalanced & unbalanced outputs cannot be used simultaneously unless the manual indicates otherwise.

Generally it's preferable to keep the signal path as simple as possible as a general rule but by no means is it imperative. Keeping the C20 in the system will give you the benefit of independent regulation of tone and volume to the speakers connected to the MC30s. Frankly I don't think there will be much audible detriment going with the REC OUT> C20> MC30s arrangement, if at all.

1693542-for-sale-accuphase-c240-preamp-with-wooden-case.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom