New member. Excited to share my score! (Ads stands available soon)

Edited to clean up my mess:

Your early version ADS/Braun 810s came with the LF700 stands (can see the paired mounting holes) - these are made of cast aluminum and obviously are more difficult to fabricate. Pictured here on some Braun L810s and early ADS L810s:
View attachment 1105268
View attachment 1105273

ADS F800 stands will work great too and will be easier to make.
Dimensions in this thread provided by @Duffinator:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-speaker-stands-improve-sound.89835/page-2

All are outer dimensions. The bar stock is 1" square, the upright bar stock is 1" x 2". The top back support piece is about 1/12" flat plate with rounded corners on the top and the two holes are about 1/2" in from the tops and sides to the center of the hole and it's 2" x 14". You can calculate the angle from the dimensions given as they may be different from the dimensions given for the earlier (Braun?) style stands.

Bottom-
Front to back: 11.25"
Side to side: 14"

Top-
Front to back: 9.75"

Top-
Height at back: 8.25"
Height at front: 9.25"

View attachment 1105193
View attachment 1105294
View attachment 1105295

Thanks for the info on the proper stands. I’d lean going that way. Producing them from cast aluminum would be extremely difficult without the casted pieces or molds. I do however see reproducing them from aluminum tubing and flat stock, to get a very close appearance. Even solid stock possibly, in order to give it the rounded edges which would be nice.

I’m going to sift through the pics and dimensions and try and come up with material needs to mimic the originals as closely as possible. I can certainly cut and modify rectangle tubing to taper down as those do.

Just another project for my ever growing list!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-braun-kangaroo-legs-project.696998/#post-9402514

Will look forward to the project! Please keep us updated.

I will say that the LF700 stands are somewhat small in scale relative to the 810s (better match in my opinion with the smaller Braun 710/830 size). The F800 stands look really cool too and have the benefit of fitting other speakers - will fit a JBL L100/L112 for instance.

Edit: Hopefully @baco99 will chime in to prove me wrong on the scale thing with a picture of the LF700s holding the even bigger LV1020s!

Edited to clean up my mess:

Your early version ADS/Braun 810s came with the LF700 stands (can see the paired mounting holes) - these are made of cast aluminum and obviously are more difficult to fabricate. Pictured here on some Braun L810s and early ADS L810s:
View attachment 1105268
View attachment 1105273

ADS F800 stands will work great too and will be easier to make.
Dimensions in this thread provided by @Duffinator:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-speaker-stands-improve-sound.89835/page-2

All are outer dimensions. The bar stock is 1" square, the upright bar stock is 1" x 2". The top back support piece is about 1/12" flat plate with rounded corners on the top and the two holes are about 1/2" in from the tops and sides to the center of the hole and it's 2" x 14". You can calculate the angle from the dimensions given as they may be different from the dimensions given for the earlier (Braun?) style stands.

Bottom-
Front to back: 11.25"

Top-
Front to back: 9.75"

Top-
Height at back: 8.25"
Height at front: 9.25"

View attachment 1105193
View attachment 1105294
View attachment 1105295
Those original stands are beauties! The feet have a similar profile to the 910 stands.

By the way, are you saying you could produce molds and from the original stands and then reproduce new cast aluminum stands?

$40 for a pair of 810's and a free SX 828....I suppose next, you're going to taunt us with tales of the nymphomaniac widow offering you her dead husband's Thorens turntable for some "plumbing repair."
Congratulations on a great entry into vintage audio.
If you had copper in the grill, it sounds like the tinsel wire from one of the sticky domes. Get yourself a paper towel tube and listen to each of the drivers indivudially and make sure that they're working.
Fortuantely, Richard So in Phoenix (Mesa) had the OEM parts to fix those.

View attachment 1105296
This is my favorite post on the entire site so far!

I feel very fortunate to have the equipment I do for a total investment of $40 so far. I know that’s not how things usually go, and I’ve never had that kind of luck in the past...but I’m not complaining.

As far as the copper... It was definitely a piece from the grill fabric. The little copper wires are all visible and present on the mids and tweeters.

By the way, are you saying you could produce molds and from the original stands and then reproduce new cast aluminum stands?

That’s a definite possibility. I was more saying I’d produce copies from aluminum stock. Which isn’t as cost effective If you’re making a lot of them, but for a handful...wouldn’t be too major an endeavor.

Not sure at the moment if you could make molds from a set of originals without breaking them down into the pieces that were molded initially. Doubt it would take a sacrificial set, but one might have to be willing to see their originals broken down. Really have to get a better look at them to know what options exist.

You could certainly make a close match with bar stock without the spherical rounded tops based on measurements.

Right on. Reason I ask is that there's another ADS speaker that is often found sans aluminum stands (910) that many have tried desperately to reproduce.

Let me know if you need detailed pics of the LF700s.

You could certainly make a close match with bar stock without the spherical rounded tops based on measurements.

Yeah. I think so too, and could even cap and work the ends to look pretty darn close. Especially if I had originals to work from. Even going off pics and measurements, I think I could produce a really attractive clone

Right on. Reason I ask is that there's another ADS speaker that is often found sans aluminum stands (910) that many have tried desperately to reproduce.

Let me know if you need detailed pics of the LF700s.

Honestly, that 700 stand looks like a breeze to reproduce. Unless I’m missing some subtle tapers or something that’s not coming across in the photos.

Looks like tubing in the right dimensions would copy those almost exactly, and a strip of flat stock for mounting holes

To be honest...if I made those for myself. I’d probably go stainless and make them in an afternoon

Oops! Meant 800 series stand

Last edited:
Yes, rear fenders are uncut and original. It’s a spartan rig for sure. I have power steering, but no power brakes. I’ve addressed most rattles and nuisance noises, but it’ll never approach what you get now days. Part of it’s charm to me.

Give me a metal dash, metal hard top that “oil cans” with the windows down and some air flying into it, and the inability to hear the person sitting in the passenger seat next to me trying to talk any day! There’s no hope for a vintage sound system in that. My music is the sound of the engine and wind.

My only regret in owning it, is leaving the sunshine and beautiful weather of Southern California. It’s never seen a spec of road salt, and never will. Which greatly reduces the days I’m able to enjoy it here in the rust belt.

Very nice - not a lot of uncut examples out there anymore! I can understand keeping it off the roads there in the winter - I brought mine with me up from CO, and it had rust issues from the winters there. SoCal weather would be hard for me to leave!
I see great examples of the factory ADS stands have been provided - looking forward to seeing what you put together.

So, for me to make the 700 series stands, I can see the angle at which it tips the speaker back. I think I read 7 1/2 degrees.

I see there’s another angle I’d need. It appears they angle away from the speaker as you go toward the ground.

Anyone have, or know where I could find the following info?

Length of the feet

Length of the vertical leg

And a measurement between the feet when mounted to the speakers. It’s evidently greater than the width of the speaker.

Here are some more pics as promised, after wiping all of the dust off. The wood seems very dry, kind of catches the micro fiber cloth I used to wipe them down if I go against the grain.

The cabinets are decent in my opinion, but there’s no disguising that they are likely about as old as I am. I’d say they’ve fared better aging than I have.

I would like suggestions on what I could do to care for them. Not just the cabinets, but everything. I’m a novice, but a quick learner...and once I’ve developed a passion for something, I’m a sponge for knowledge and appreciate the wisdom of others.

That grill cloth is as handsome as a British sport coat. If it's in need of replacement, I hope you don't fall prey to the urge to replace it with some drab, modern black stuff. Mojotone sells vintage amp cloth that may be more suitable for your vintage.
As for the cabinets, I'm not sure whether the early ADS stuff was lacquered like my 780's were, but if they are, don't count on smearing on any of the oil stuff like Howard's Restore-A-Finish unless you plan on sanding all of the lacquer off - it will just bleed through any scratches and cause dark "scars" in the veneer beneath.
Your crossovers would be gravy as I think there's only 1 electrolytic capacitor in the woofer leg. The other caps would be film, which are pretty durable. I'd think about replacing the resistors as long as you're in there. Even the premium Mills resistors wont cost an arm or leg,
and resistors are a wear item.

It's a great time to be a "sponge" - the internet is a wealth of information just there for the absorbing. As long as you have the ability to take everything with a grain of salt and sort out good information from bad, the DIY world is your oyster.

The pictured red fuses are not part of the original drawing.

ADS_Crossovers.JPG

Appears to be basically 20 1/2” tall, with 12 1/2” foot. Thickness, basically just under an inch. 3/4-7/8 would probably look nice.

The two angles are all I’m missing. The tilt back (7.5 degrees?), and how far away the feet tail away in comparison to where they mount to cabinet (distance between the feet when mounted) I have the cabinet width :)

Definitely a helpful start. It looks like I have the length, height, and thickness of each leg just from that attachment. Thanks!
Even though I went a different direction for "stands" for my 780's, I'd be more than happy to purchase a pair of those LF-700 style stands to help offset the overall cost should you decide to tool up and make some.

Even though I went a different direction for "stands" for my 780's, I'd be more than happy to purchase a pair of those LF-700 style stands to help offset the overall cost should you decide to tool up and make some.

The first set will take me a little time (I’m very detail oriented and perfection will be my goal), but once I make up some jigs, and have material and cut lists figured out...I think I could knock a set out rather quickly. Maybe a weekend?

Because I have a good amount of stainless available, I’m probably going to make the first set from that.

It’s stronger, much quicker to weld (TIG) and modify, and because I’ll be able to go much thinner wall than would be necessary for aluminum to hold the same weight, will likely weigh about the same as being made from aluminum. Besides, I won’t have to powder coat them and they’ll look great. Though, one easily could if they chose to.

Btw, these l810a’s are tanks! I’ve handled many a speaker, and these things really surprised me! Have to be around 50lbs a piece!

Welcome aboard. Just setup a pair of L810's in my office system recently and I have several other pair of ADS models. As you have already confirmed, ADS is a well regarded brand here in AK. If you can get some stands made, lots of potential interest here, for sure.

I really like that grill cloth color, had not seen it prior.

Back
Top Bottom