1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

New Music Seems To Be Super Bass Heavy

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Jayrosc, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Mr Creosote

Mr Creosote Active Member

Is it mixed for ear buds or the Hondas with 3000 watts and back seat full of 15" subs?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ev13wt

ev13wt Super Member

Because they can. Can't do it on LPs, can't really do it on tape.

3. ev13wt

ev13wt Super Member

So, uhm, what new low frequencies EXACTLY are they using in those new high res formats?

darkblue94 likes this.
  4. ev13wt

ev13wt Super Member

Notably great field artist!

DaveVoorhis and autoanalog like this.
  5. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

I think it comes from using ear buds instead of monitor loudspeakers....

mjw21a likes this.
  6. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep, not enough base fishing and to much bassment renovation.

imral3 likes this.

7. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

::Wins Internet for the day::

ev13wt, DaveVoorhis and imral3 like this.
  8. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

On the bass thing, I do think they are catering to the listening devices, but I also really think that folks these days (majority, not us AK types) want lots and lots of bass in their music.

imral3 likes this.
  9. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Yes Ma`am, and some of this over production compression techniques, I personally hold The late Sir. George Martin`s ultra heavy hand on the mix down compressor control, by his own gleeful admission in the DVD "The wreaking Crew" !!

10. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I want lots and lots of bass in some of my music. The bass that is there, though I don't need my system to plumb the depths into the teens (hz). My opinion is that there are several forces at work, often pushing in the same direction, and that part of the story includes better recordings. For instance, among those of us who love classical music, there have always been folks who appreciate a well-recorded tympani.

Not that there aren't older recordings that capture such very well - sometimes we underestimate the capability of 40s and 50s tech. But, overall, technology has advanced - and methods of using it, too (how to mic, etc) - making it possible to capture the power, dynamics and depths of music. Which also means someone will jack up bass during the recording process to suit their own sensibilities, and that inevitably some will love it. We use the tech to capture art, but we also use it to express art. A phat bass on a rap song can sound pretty good. Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat track has some prodigious bass. Quite a few of the rock recordings from the 60s and 70s, on the other hand, lack bass - but engineers often made recordings for a cheap radio, it seems.

I've often wished that the bass in some of the bebop jazz I love had been better recorded - sometimes they got it right, sometimes not so much. I think recordings now are more apt to capture what is there better. So, improved recording techniques is but one thread - others include artistic expression, listener's tastes, the quality of audio systems and even the decline of radio as a primary source for music. Although several folks have mentioned it, I'm not convinced that there have been very many recordings mixed/mastered specifically for use with cheap ear buds. I tend to agree with Gibsonian's conclusion that it may be more of a taste for bass thing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    TomBig58, Bodyblue and mjw21a like this.
  11. Jayrosc

Jayrosc Super Member

Well said Mate!
    Dare I ask for a couple suggestions of high quality Classical recordings with those delicious Timpani sounds?

12. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I'm easy. I just look for Telarc and DG labels. But I'm a CD guy. If you're talking vinyl... there are better guys to ask. Over in the Today's Classical Playlist thread in Music forum, guys like guiller, Beau Geste, RichPA and pmsummer and several others are the experts who I turn to for questions about best recordings, best performances, etc. They will deny they are expert, generally, but read their posts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  13. Nixxuz

Nixxuz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good lord yes. Babylon Sisters is crazy thumping from the start.

TomBig58 likes this.
  14. tom3

tom3 Super Member

Very timely subject here. I just bought a CD because of the bass, rare for me. Pardi, Dirt on my Boots song has a bass note that is probably 20 hz or so, really down there and smooth. First time I heard it in my old Camaro with a sub back there it surprised the heck out of me. Not sure how they did this, but I like it. Pretty decent CD overall too.

15. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just like how all our food is laced with sugar.

16. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Maybe, but bass won't rot your teeth or exacerbate your diabetes.

17. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The simple answer to the OP is yes, of course. Without a doubt, most popular music is and has been mixed heavier on the bass for years. All types of critical listening music, on the other hand, has mostly been mixed for truest reproduction, which includes the pure deep bass we all love. The quality of mainstream playback equipment, popular taste, artist and engineers preferences all come to play here. I first noticed it back in 1983 when, after a years long LP buying hiatus, I purchased Mellencamp's Uh Huh LP and found it a lot more bass heavy than my "older" LP's. Now I sometimes find my self adding a little bass to some vintage Doors, Who, etc.. That's why I'm still not in the "100% flat 100% of the time" camp. Minor tweaking usually gets the job done to my ears. Newer popular recordings that add bass for the sake of bass rarely get a second listen from me unless I really like it. Then it's back to fiddling! Most of my listening is rock, blues, alt-rock (rarely classic jazz or classical) and for the most part I'm happy with the controls set flat, or "for the heart of the sun" ;) when the mood strikes.

18. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Let's blame the car audio enthusiasts and their "competition" subs, whatever the hell that is.

19. enginedr

enginedr Well-Known Member

Having a DSP controlled distributed bass system in my room - Bring it on .

20. Anti_Skate

Anti_Skate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think the younger generation equates good sounding with lots of sub 40hz bass. Pop and country music these days have lots off it mixed in (for no musical reason) so people think it sounds good. I guess they need media content to justify the money spent on all that car audio.