1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

New Nelson Pass ACA Kits on pre-order

Discussion in 'DIY' started by botrytis, May 11, 2018.

1. Audioraven

Audioraven Active Member

:rflmao::rflmao:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

Robie likes this.
  3. Poultrygeist

4. Poultrygeist

StimpyWan likes this.
  5. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

^ you can buy those either way.

7. sachu888

sachu888 Spare the tigers, kill me Subscriber

Few years ago, I had built Amp camp on Diy audio member Rudi's layout. We had organised a GB for kits , including chassis and PCBs. The total cost including chassis was approx $100. My friend had provided chassis for us. Its my main amp since then. I am using it with Diy vintage University Difiaxial speakers. I have a separate thread here, but unfortunately all the pics are gone now due to photobucket policy http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/another-amp-camp-build.602303/
    Here are the old pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have recently bought complete Class D 3116 Amp(including chassis) from Ebay at $28 (free shipping). I have replaced all 470uf Sanyo(must be fake) Electrolyte caps with Low ESR Nichicon once and the sound is very good. The ACA has an edge but I have not connected 3116 with my main rig. This is the amp I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Power-Amplifier-HiFi-TPA3116-Stereo-2-0-Channel-Audio-Amp-50W-50W/262315996089?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    I am really thankful to MR Pass to share his designs with diyers.

Regards
    Sachin

tmtomh, Robie and slimecity like this.
  8. Poultrygeist

Yes and I have the original Volt+ but the upgraded Volt+D should arrive any day. It uses all films in the signal path, has selectable 20/26 db gain and the inductors are much larger. Doubling up the Texas Instrument 3118 chips produces up to 60 watts. Spent time with the ACA's driving back loaded horns and also prefer the Volt+. Usually the cheap class D boards are Chinese but the Volt+ comes from India. It's superior to all my other TPA's chip amps and I probably have 8 or 9 in a variety of configurations.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

There's a huge difference between cost-no-object, highly sophisticated designs that actually pushed the performance envelope, and bare minimum, bag-of-components-in-a-box designs, created merely as a cute little toy to build as a take-away from an 'Amp Camp', and you know it.

EngineerNate likes this.
  10. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

What is the input sensitivity of this thing?

11. Poultrygeist

The Volt+D arrived today from Bangalore, India.

[​IMG]

sachu888 likes this.

12. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Not China? Wow.

13. Pio1980

The ACA projects are instructive insofar as how little can do so much re SQ on a smaller scale.
    Reminds me of the console tube amp projects in other threads.

invaderzim likes this.
  14. sachu888

Nice product from my country.Made in India. I am also looking to design a class D amp with all through hole parts. My friend will help me.

Regards
    Sachin

tmtomh and Pio1980 like this.
  15. sachu888

Double post

16. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

In all fairness Mr Pass himself at Burning Amp 2017 described the ACA as not being designed to be the best sounding amp possible but to be easy to build as a way for people with no experience to cut their teeth in the DIY audio world.
    It is as easy of a way as possible for people to feel the pride of building something themselves. The simple layout makes it easier to see what is doing what in the circuit. Sure, the individuals didn't design or engineer it but if this gets more people to delve deeper into building other amps then more power to them.

There are people that build them without a PCB in a "dead bug" sort of layout for dirt cheap. The schematic and parts list is out there for anyone to use, which is nice.

I built one several years ago using their PCBs, sourced my own parts and mounted them on a cutting board with cheap auction site heatsinks. It was fun and relatively inexpensive going that route. The cases they sell are good quality and not cheap so that adds a lot to the price of the amps.

The boards are very well made and using laptop power supplies bypasses the fun of building a power supply so it is good for a simpler start. I don't really use it much, the sound is decent but not stunning; it goes plenty loud for background music. With their nice looking case it would be a perfectly good desktop amp for low volume use.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    tmtomh, barefootbrew, 1108 and 4 others like this.

17. Pio1980

See;
    The PLH Amplifier By Nelson Pass Introduction PDF @ 6moons.

18. Pio1980

19. Robie

Robie Live it or live with it. Subscriber

I also posted this on another site but am wondering in anticipation of a successful completion and build, what preamp has anyone used with this amp to good result. Tubes?

20. Jim Shearer

Jim Shearer Active Member

I use a Schiit Saga pre with my ACA monoblocks. I really like the idea of discrete resistors rather than a pot, and a buffer is needed (IMO) due to the low input impedance of the ACA. The Saga lets you choose between buffer and np buffer. Then there are the 5 inputs and remote control. I also make use of the two pairs of outputs on the Saga.

Robie likes this.