NEW Norah Jones album

I think it gets released tomorrow. I'm headed to Target first thing in the morning as they have a special version with a couple extra songs. I'm a big fan of hers and will report impressions once I give it a listen.

I pre-ordered the 180 gram vinyl LP from Barnes and Noble and it arrived yesterday... on my third listen and here are my impressions.

Norah is back at the piano with a focus on jazz; she excels in this genre. Her voice is as beautiful as I've ever heard it and I love her homage to Horace Silver and Duke on this recording. Her cover of Neil Young's "Don't Be Denied" is fantastic and Wayne Shorter's presence on four of the tracks is very nicely done.

I enjoy Day Breaks as much as any of her previous offerings because of the return to her jazz roots; if you're a fan you need to pick up a copy.

Norah is an American Treasure...

Sounds great - I'll look out for it after payday!

I pre-ordered the 180 gram vinyl LP from Barnes and Noble and it arrived yesterday... on my third listen and here are my impressions.

Norah is back at the piano with a focus on jazz; she excels in this genre. Her voice is as beautiful as I've ever heard it and I love her homage to Horace Silver and Duke on this recording. Her cover of Neil Young's "Don't Be Denied" is fantastic and Wayne Shorter's presence on four of the tracks is very nicely done.

I enjoy Day Breaks as much as any of her previous offerings because of the return to her jazz roots; if you're a fan you need to pick up a copy.

Norah is an American Treasure...
Thank You. It's safe to say that I was going to get a copy either way. Any impressions regarding the sound quality of this pressing?

It always takes me awhile to get into a new album. I think I'll like this as much as her previous efforts.

For the most part, to my ears, it's not as traditional/classically structured as her first album - there's more of a modern vibe to the , even though it's jazz influenced for sure.

Sound quality wise, it strikes me as warmer/darker and less clear/bright than some of her previous albums, but I'm not 100% sure on this as I was a playing with some gear combos while playing this.

Less clear/bright might be a good thing on the average system ... I do know that Come Away With Me was the incentive for me to do some room tuning, as her voice and piano drove spikes into my brain due to some seriously bad reflections off the ceiling.

Nothing some good room treatments couldn't cure though. Still one of my go to test albums ... if Norah's gently licking my ear, it's all good. <G>

It always takes me awhile to get into a new album. I think I'll like this as much as her previous efforts.

For the most part, to my ears, it's not as traditional/classically structured as her first album - there's more of a modern vibe to the , even though it's jazz influenced for sure.

Sound quality wise, it strikes me as warmer/darker and less clear/bright than some of her previous albums, but I'm not 100% sure on this as I was a playing with some gear combos while playing this.

Agreed on the warmer/darker and less clear/bright sound... Norah's voice, at least to my receptive ears, is as sweet and beautiful as ever.

I just wish she would return my calls... :naughty:

I found out its available to audition streaming, if you have Amazon Prime -
I put it on the Magnepans today while I was reading and - its a fine album ...
sound is great - encouraged me to buy it!

I found out its available to audition streaming, if you have Amazon Prime -
I put it on the Magnepans today while I was reading and - its a fine album ...
sound is great - encouraged me to buy it!

But then again, the Maggies make everything sound better, eh? Wish I had a pair...

Okay folks, I was able to bring Norah home with me this afternoon and I sure am glad I did. The only real question was which form she would be in. Vinyl or polycarbonate? Vinyl won the day and I just finished up with the initial spin so the results are in : :hug: :music::trebon: .

My wife is a fan so I am sure that I will end up buying this for her. Norah Jones doing "Don't Be Denied" by Neil Young? Off his long out of print "Time Fades Away" album? That in & of itself deserves a listen.

Pre-ordered from Amazon so streamed the Prime version twice. Recording didn't seem as good as her better ones. Was listening to it on a train and when I got home the CD was on the porch. Looking forward to hearing it on a real system soon.

Historically her recording quality has varied with the boyfriend doing the production. I know she's into the sound but as I recall an article about her apartment system focused on her TT and the rest of the system was semi-mediocre. The fact that Neumann produced a microphone just for her is impressive. At least someone cares about the sound. KMS 104 Plus is her primary mic, intended to enhance the low-end of the female voice.

I found the SQ on the CD I bought to be extremely muffled/rolled off in the high end. So much so that I thought something was wrong with my system, but it is the CD. I can't listen to it and it's going back. I've heard a few others say the same. I'm wondering if there isn't a bad batch out there. It's that bad.

Yeah, I feel the same. Truly a shame that someone in her production crew can't tell that their sound is muffled. Wonder what monitors they use in mastering? There really is quite a difference between her albums in production quality and that's a real shame.

Her background vocal on the new Doyle Bramhall, II's new album Rich Man, is totally different in that you can hear her as the high part yet her earthy-throaty signature sound still comes through. By the way, this is a very well engineered engaging album:

20160812_152817_5155_938872.jpeg

I actually think someone dropped the ball after the mix and during the encoding. Vinyl apparently sounds fine. Going to see if the stream is any different.

I actually think someone dropped the ball after the mix and during the encoding. Vinyl apparently sounds fine. Going to see if the stream is any different.

I've only heard the vinyl, and while I like it, I find it on the "muffled" side as well. It's a very soft sounding recording, definitely a late night vibe. Maybe somebody who has both the cd and vinyl can comment on differences, but this, along with the new Weir lp, both sound like they have a blanket over them. IMO, of course.

My wife is a fan so I am sure that I will end up buying this for her. Norah Jones doing "Don't Be Denied" by Neil Young? Off his long out of print "Time Fades Away" album? That in & of itself deserves a listen.
Unusual selection, but I can imagine it on piano.

Back
Top Bottom