New Onkyo stereo integrated amp - the A-9150

soundboy

It's not on US Onkyo's website yet, but the owner's manual in the below link does mention a US model:

http://www.nl.onkyo.com/downloads/3/1/6/2/7/Manual_A-9150_En.pdf

Looks like 30 watts/channel into 8 ohms (full bandwith) and doubles the wattage into 4 ohms, MM/MC phono pre-amp, pre-outs/main-ins (but no dedicated sub out), 2 coax/2 Toslink digital inputs, aluminum front panel and volume knob, and 384 kHz/32 bit DAC from Asahi Kasei. Not pricing information yet, but the A-9150's predecessor, the A-9010, is available on Amazon for $300.00 (sometimes less).

A-9150__B__Front_R640x320.png

Looks like a solid unit. I like the more honest specs this time around. I could never find full bandwidth figures for the A-9050.

Looks like a decent amplifier, double the wattage at 4 ohms is a good indication that it has the ability to handle low impedance speakers.

The Dac is rediculous in it.....I wish it had a little more power...I'd have it instead of the TX-8270.....

This seems like an old school amp where you get a real 30WPC. I see specs on some new receivers where the ratings are for 40hz to 20Khz. And then the power doesn't double to 4 ohms.

I pondered a 9010 vs the Marantz PM6005. Had I known about this I might have gone this route. Although not sure what the "phase matching bass" is all about.

This seems like an old school amp where you get a real 30WPC. I see specs on some new receivers where the ratings are for 40hz to 20Khz. And then the power doesn't double to 4 ohms.

Yes, But 2x nothing is still nothing!

The Yamaha A S301 puts out 60w at 8 ohms, and 95 wpc @ 4 ohms (Europe). Its just a matter of fudging the numbers. The bottom line is the Onkyo is less powerful at 8 ohms, AND at 4 ohms than this Really Low End Yamaha. The Yamaha's ace in the hole is the variable loudness. The Onkyo might be a fine amp, But based on power, It is barely average regardless if it advertises doubling power at 4 ohms.

Last edited:
Yes, But 2x nothing is still nothing!

The Yamaha A S301 puts out 60w at 8 ohms, and 95 wpc @ 4 ohms (Europe). Its just a matter of fudging the numbers. The bottom line is the Onkyo is less powerful at 8 ohms, AND at 4 ohms than this Really Low End Yamaha. The Yamaha's ace in the hole is the variable loudness. The Onkyo might be a fine amp, But based on power, It is barely average regardless if it advertises doubling power at 4 ohms.
I never brought up another amp in particular here for comparison, just some opening price point receivers that make me cringe because they measure 100WPC from 40-20K. I think the Onkyo is old school in their approach with a nice DAC and MC/MM phono added. I just don't see much of a market for 30WPC amps. The Yamaha you mention does look nice. Would be nice to do an old school A/B too.

I never brought up another amp in particular here for comparison, just some opening price point receivers that make me cringe because they measure 100WPC from 40-20K. I think the Onkyo is old school in their approach with a nice DAC and MC/MM phono added. I just don't see much of a market for 30WPC amps. The Yamaha you mention does look nice. Would be nice to do an old school A/B too.

Yes I see your point. I like to think if we buy from a reputable brand that we get what we pay for. I'm confident that is the case with the Onkyo and Yamaha amps even at this price. But when I went looking for a new AVR, It looks like Onkyo has had more QC problems. Too bad because my 16 year Onkyo 575x AVR still works and sounds fine DD 5.1 and does a darn good job with stereo music too. No heat issues here.

This offering puzzles me due to the low power output. Why bother? What is the market like for a low power amp when most modern speakers are low sensitivity? Really would be more interesting at 100wpc 8ohm doubling that into 4ohm.

This offering puzzles me due to the low power output. Why bother? What is the market like for a low power amp when most modern speakers are low sensitivity? Really would be more interesting at 100wpc 8ohm doubling that into 4ohm.
Yep, 100 WPC channel makes the Onkyo something very interesting.

I think it sounds pretty good. A bit better then the 9010. it has a darker more solid tone, while the 9010 has a more presence and a bit thinner in tone. It does seems like the 9010 has more volume but the speakers seemed better controlled with the 9150

I notice the A-9150 doesn't have a dedicated sub-out. I have a Klipsch R10SW sub which has L/R line in RCAs. Would this work with the A-9150, using either of the pre-out or line-out? Any help with this would be appreciated as I have no experience with this due to my previous amp having a dedicated sub-out which allowed me to control the sub with the remote control.

My speakers are the easily driven Klipsch R-150Ms so the 30watts (into 8ohm) of the new Onkyo is plenty for me. I just like to turn on the sub occasionally :) I was considering the A 9030 until I read about the new A 9150.

Line out won't work as it is a fixed level output eg no volume control. Variable preouts will work. Does the sub have speaker level inputs? If so that is also an option.

Nope it don't. :no: Bummer if you wanted that amp. Or time to get a new sub with speaker level inputs?

OK thanks for the feedback. I've since been looking at the Yamaha A-S501. I still use a vintage 70's Yamaha system in the study which is based on a CA-610 (Originally a CA-710, but swapped out to put into service elsewhere), so I really like the Yamaha quality. The 501 has sub-out and gold plated RCA connectors which is nice too. Just for fun, here is a pic of the old Yammie system.
IMG_1985.JPG

Back
Top Bottom