New Op Amps for a Music Hall DAC 25.3

Ok, so it is not that you can't get Wasapi to work with your hardware but rather that WMP doesn't work with Wasapi, make more sense then.

Yeah, sorry. I was using "Windows 10" when I meant WMP 12 (that comes with Windows 10).

There was a freeware download that allowed WASAPI to work with earlier versions of WMP. They say it might work with Windows 10/WMP 12, but no one has tried it. They say one is welcome to write their own code.

Seeing how I can't manage EEC, JRiver, or MusicBee...code writing is not in my future.

My FLAC files of the remastered Houses of the Holy sound fabulous via ASIO.

Thanks to the Burson V6 Vivids. !!!!

Microsoft gave us the option of FLAC in WMP 12. WASAPI was just too much to ask for...

Last edited:
Absolutely agree about the OPA 1612 .But it's not at OP AMP FET. It'a bipolar OP AMP. The OPA 1642 FET op amp sounds more detailed and spacious than the OPA 627 and the OP A827, IMHO... :)

Well you're a bit late to this wingding as I've already made the purchase, but not assembled. How much are the 1642's? And is it better sounding than the 1612's??

Mine are socketed too. Thanks for the list — I'll study it, and may have follow-on questions, if you don't mind...? You have far more knowledge in this area than I do...

If it's on the list Burson will back it. If not email them on your application. They will stand by their product. Just make sure you have realistate to fit them, that' the main thing, and sufficient voltage swing in the Burson's for whatever you are sticking them in. With V5's I had an issue in one application and had to revert back to V4's to make it work.

I'm sorry for the delay . About the prices https://www.mouser.it/Texas-Instruments/Audio-Amplifiers/OPA1612-Series/_/N-1z0zls6Z4gxtfZ1yxz1ls ;https://www2.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=OPA1612AID . About the sound. The OPA 1642 and the OPA 1612 replaced the NCR 2068 (bipolar) and the M5238 P (fet) Op Amps in my end power mono Denon POA 6600a (see pics). This was the best possible solution after testing the OPA 627, the OPA 827 and the LME 4999020180403_070202(0).jpg 20180403_070212.jpg 20180403_072751.jpg First row on the left up : OPA 627 ; Second ow on the left down OPA 827 ; First row on the right up : LME49990; Second row on the right down OPA 1612 . Some were bought by Chinese sellers on Ebay but they are authentic and all working. :)

Absolutely agree about the OPA 1612 .But it's not at OP AMP FET. It'a bipolar OP AMP. The OPA 1642 FET op amp sounds more detailed and spacious than the OPA 627 and the OP A827, IMHO... :)

Installed the 1642's in 3 per channel positions in the active crossover today and so far so good. Listening to FM only so far but it never sounded this good before. Digital and phono to come later this evening. We may have a jewel here, Thanks for the heads up Beau.

...The OPA 1642 and the OPA 1612 replaced the NCR 2068 (bipolar) and the M5238 P (fet) Op Amps in my end power mono Denon POA 6600a (see pics). This was the best possible solution after testing the OPA 627, the OPA 827 and the LME 49990View attachment 1153640 View attachment 1153641 View attachment 1153642 First row on the left up : OPA 627 ; Second ow on the left down OPA 827 ; First row on the right up : LME49990; Second row on the right down OPA 1612 . Some were bought by Chinese sellers on Ebay but they are authentic and all working. :)

Just tell me why you replaced the stock opamps in the Denon? You mention 'testing'. What tests did you perform and what exactly improved?

Installed the 1642's in 3 per channel positions in the active crossover today and so far so good. Listening to FM only so far but it never sounded this good before. Digital and phono to come later this evening. We may have a jewel here, Thanks for the heads up Beau.
My pleasure :)

90 day review...the Bursons are working great.

I'm listening to The Weight by The Band. My system sounds better than ever before.

I'm loving the Bursons so far.

system; PC/Paul Pang v2>Singxer F-1>MusicHall 25.3 (upgraded)>Sansui AU-X701>ADS 1290/IIs.

90 day review...the Bursons are working great...I'm loving the Bursons so far.
Glad to hear. Over the weekend, I removed the tube from my DAC as it is only used for single ended output. In the garage closet with 98 degree weather, it gets kinda toasty in the garage closet and there's no need for another heat source.

And the Bursons remain leak-free now four plus months in. :)

Glad to hear. Over the weekend, I removed the tube from my DAC as it is only used for single ended output. In the garage closet with 98 degree weather, it gets kinda toasty in the garage closet and there's no need for another heat source.

And the Bursons remain leak-free now four plus months in. :)
They say balanced outputs don't do anything if your cable run is shorter than 50'. I've never used them so I don't have an opinion.

If you ever see a Mullard CV2493 tube, grab it. Try that and some nice RCA interconnects.

That buffer, where the electrons jump through the vacuum, it's got to be doing something.

:D
Maybe for wintertime in the garage.

They say balanced outputs don't do anything if your cable run is shorter than 50'.
That's a broad overview only in terms of noise. Balanced connections remove many of the cable metric effects experienced in system operation. Mine drives the power amp directly. While the output impedance of the Music Hall is higher with balanced, it is consistent across the frequency range - unlike that of single ended operation.

While in a different system, the Audio Research SP20 was designed from the outset for balanced operation and clearly performs better.

Try that and some nice RCA interconnects.
The amp supports balanced inputs only.

Back
Top Bottom