New or Used McIntosh?

Crazeehorse

I am currently researching and pricing McIntosh gear. It's time to take the plunge so I was wondering what the general conscientious is where buying new vs used is concerned. I don't want anything older than say 5 years or so if possible. New would be great and I am looking at the C52 and the MC302 and I can't seem to find a good deal on them. The other option is a C48 and maybe a used MC302 or MC252. I've also looked at an integrated, the local retailer here in St. Louis said they can do a MC7900 for $6400 out the door. Separates basically double that but I know I like separates. I would consider an integrated though.

I bought a McIntosh C2500 used from Audio Classics. They rated it B1 in there condition rating system. It was packed in the original McIntosh boxes and shipped to me. When it arrived and I unpacked it the C2500 looked brand new and had that new equipment smell when I turned it on. I would recommend buying used McIntosh equipment from a McIntosh dealer like Audio Classics.

Have you looked at Audiogon and Audio Classics yet? Also, you haven't mentioned a budget.

Used is used. What matters is what kind of condition it is in, the honesty of the seller and finding components you want to purchase.

Audio Classics is a great source for used, reconditioned and quality gear. They have a great reputation which they totally deserve.

Integrated units are nice when you don't have the space for separates. And they sound good. Seeing that you have some flexibility in choosing separates or an integrated gives you many more choices, hopefully not so much that you get totally lost.

How are you establishing your preferred components? Cost? Power? Compatibility with other components and/or speakers?

And what is your definition of a "good deal"?

Thanks for the input guys. My budget is between 5k and 7k right now. Sundown One gave me a quote for a MA7900 of $6300. The Sound Room in STL gave me a $6400 quote for the same integrated and $5400 for a MC302, $6300 for a C52 and $3800 for a C47. I know of a MC252 for sale local for 3k. If I went with the 252 I could recover quicker and get a C52 by the end of the summer. If I went for separates I would have to build a piece at a time and I would start with the amp and let my old Yamaha CX1000 be the pre for now, and let the Oppo 105 handle the digital processing. I play a ton of vinyl and need to have a MC phono stage. I do cd's and FLAC as well. All of these preamps and integrateds have the MC phono so that's good.. All of my gear is in mint condition and has been refurbed but its old and I am leaning towards brand new but good grief the price! :)

Wow - that's a huge budget to start with. You don't give us much to go on as far as what you're looking for but ...

Preamps - C33, C40, C42, C46, C100
Amps - MC2255, MC7270, MC7300, MC352, MC402

Audio Classics in NY would be a great place to shop.

What speakers are you driving? i used a Yamaha R2000 as a pre to drive Mcintosh amp for a bit. It actually was surprisingly very nice. I went vintage McIntosh but bought big MC2500 amps at first. If your moving up from Yamaha amps. Any McIntosh will surprise you with dynamics if speakers are fairly tough to drive. The autoformers will convert you. With a clean pre biggest change is the amp. Then go pre with better than 110 dB SNR pre. I would buy an amp that you can run in Mono bridge or parallel to leave upgrade pathway.

I'm driving a pair of Klipsch RF7iis with a pair of SVS SB-13Ultra's. Right now my amp is a Yamaha MX-1000. I am trying to stay away from anything more that 5 years old or so if possible. Could stretch out to being 10 years old if I know the history of the unit. New to 5 year old separates would be the desire but would consider an integrated. Sorry for having such a wide net to cast on this. Are there any amps or pres to stay away from?

Since I have extended experience with them, I give a shout out to the hard to find MC252. If the one available locally looks to be in great condition, you can't go wrong and it will drive your speakers without breaking a sweat. Pair that with the new C47 and you'll have an outstanding separates system that falls within your current budget and you won't need to wait for what I feel is an "overkill" C52.

Well the used MC252 was sold before I could get it. So I just ordered a new MC302. They came off MSRP buy a good margin because of their grand reopening. I sure hope I hear a difference in this MC302 vs my old Yamaha MX-1000. :)

Well the used MC252 was sold before I could get it. So I just ordered a new MC302. They came off MSRP buy a good margin because of their grand reopening. I sure hope I hear a difference in this MC302 vs my old Yamaha MX-1000. :)
I have a Yamaha PC2602 comparable to MX1000. The MC2500 is a considerable improvement in lows and mids. But my speakers are less efficient. In the highs I predict yamaha close.

Thanks for the input guys. My budget is between 5k and 7k right now. Sundown One gave me a quote for a MA7900 of $6300. The Sound Room in STL gave me a $6400 quote for the same integrated and $5400 for a MC302, $6300 for a C52 and $3800 for a C47. I know of a MC252 for sale local for 3k. If I went with the 252 I could recover quicker and get a C52 by the end of the summer. If I went for separates I would have to build a piece at a time and I would start with the amp and let my old Yamaha CX1000 be the pre for now, and let the Oppo 105 handle the digital processing. I play a ton of vinyl and need to have a MC phono stage. I do cd's and FLAC as well. All of these preamps and integrateds have the MC phono so that's good.. All of my gear is in mint condition and has been refurbed but its old and I am leaning towards brand new but good grief the price! :)

With a budget of $5k to $7k, you have a chance of piecing together a McIntosh audio system worthy for everyone. I would not be in a hurry. Take your time and have patentience, and the fruits of your labor will be worth your effort. Good luck and keep us posted.

I buy used Mc gear because, well, I can't afford new. :dunno: My first piece of Mc gear was a MC2120, which I got a local deal on for all of $200. I tried to find a matching preamp to go with it, but most of what I found was too expensive for my tastes. I now own a MC2505 and C26, which I found at a local electronics store for $800. I have since picked up a nice MR73 for $300, but I can't see my Mc setup going too far past this unless I manage a winning lottery ticket or two......... :rolleyes:
-Adam
Certified (Certifiable?) Cheap Bastard

I buy used Mc gear because, well, I can't afford new. :dunno: My first piece of Mc gear was a MC2120, which I got a local deal on for all of $200. I tried to find a matching preamp to go with it, but most of what I found was too expensive for my tastes. I now own a MC2505 and C26, which I found at a local electronics store for $800. I have since picked up a nice MR73 for $300, but I can't see my Mc setup going too far past this unless I manage a winning lottery ticket or two......... :rolleyes:
-Adam
Certified (Certifiable?) Cheap Bastard
You could sure do a lot worse you cheap bastard!

Back
Top Bottom