New or Vintage Amps?

If it sounds good I don't care what year it was made. The "good" new stuff is out of my reach, to replace my 1981 Luxman integrated with a modern equivalent Luxman integrated will set me back about $12,000, that is why I run vintage. Winning the lottery would change everything. ;)

New, tubes. Just sit and enjoy your music instead of working constantly on the old equipment. You pay more for this but win time and peace of mind.

New, tubes. Just sit and enjoy your music instead of working constantly on the old equipment. You pay more for this but win time and peace of mind.
By the time you swap out every bad cap, resistors, and rectifier in the old tube amp, all you have left is the point to point wiring, chassis, and transformer. Maybe I should change my answer to mostly new :(

By the time you swap out every bad cap, resistors, and rectifier in the old tube amp, all you have left is the point to point wiring, chassis, and transformer. Maybe I should change my answer to mostly new :(

And don't forget the (frequent) biasing and calibration procedures. Several new tube amps have self-biasing schemes and are a joy to use daily (at least this is my own experience).

Vintage tube with nos tubes
Ideal, but we have run out of most NOS output tubes.
I am going to have a SS Scott restored and listen to it through a "tube buffer" consisting of a pair of 6SN7's because they are not in short supply. Hopefully, it will give me enough of the tube sound, which I love.

Ideal, but we have run out of most NOS output tubes.
I am going to have a SS Scott restored and listen to it through a "tube buffer" consisting of a pair of 6SN7's because they are not in short supply. Hopefully, it will give me enough of the tube sound, which I love.
I know they are becoming unobtainium. Sadly, the old stashes couldn't last forever. Your idea of filtering with available tubes is great. Thanks Doc.

Based on three units, I like the sound of new Marantz stuff. The units are my SA15-s2 SACD player (superlative), my friend's SR7008 AVR, and my NR1504 AVR. My 2002-era MM9000 five-channel THX amp is no slouch either. I wouldn't bet against their new amplifiers. Expect a sweet top end, completely free of gratuitous tizz, if my SACD player is representative.

A mix ... new power amps (Outlaw M200 monoblocks), refurbed old, tubed preamp (ARC SP-6) and tuner (Fisher 90B), new CD and streaming (Oppos 105), old Thiel speakers (3.5's), old Teac tape gear (4070 and 180), relatively new Marantz CD recorder. In my second system, mostly old .... Carver C2 preamp, Amber 70 power amp, Carver TX-2 tuner, Sony SCD SACD player (2002), and Theil speakers. In my bedroom system I go old and good, but cheap: KLH model 5 speakers (1967,) Onkyo receiver (2000), and a Nakamichi cassette deck.

The key thing is .... there are good sounding "old" and bad sounding "old". There is good condition "old" or bad conditioned "old". There is also a wide range of quality and price of new gear. I use live music and my guide, and then apply a reasonable place on the price-performance curve. In general, I find this leads me to a lot of older gear.

In a ten year period you are going to spend a lot of money if you want your tube amps to stay top notch. I'll stick with SS

I got lucky and got my hands on (2) Yamaha P2200 amps for $100. Replaced all caps and bulbs. Reflowed some solder joints and added RCA plugs. I have less than $200 in both amps.

240wpc and really cool VU meters. Super solid amps with great SQ and built like tanks. I know that there are much better amps out there but you will never touch it for that kind of money.

I dont have the cash for a $2000 amplifier so I go for vintage.

On the other hand, I have a Yamaha CR 1020. Its a fantastic sounding and beautiful receiver but it will cost a fortune to get it serviced. I have attempted to take it apart but it is just too much work and too much room for error, I will just use it as a decoration for now.

Back
Top Bottom