New Participant - Like Akai

dubwicht

I am a new subscriber to the Audio Karma forum and have recently become interested in vintage receivers. I am looking at buying an Akai AA-8500 and was wondering if any of the Akai lovers here know anything about it. The vendor says it has a wicked tuner section. I did find a photo on a site but no specs. Schematics are available. I am interested in Akai because it seems to me many of their products have flown under the radar of collectors and are good value.

I currently have the following vintage and DIY stuff:

Kenwood KW-6400
Yamaha CR-1020
Yamaha R-7
Carver Receiver HR-742
JVC QL-Y5F Turntable
Modified Thorens TD-150 (with Origin Live motor and Rega Tonearm)
Bang & Olufsen Beogram 2000 Linear Tracking Turntable
Mitsubishi DA-A30 Power Amplifier
Nakamichi RX-202 Tape Deck
John Bowers Active Control Unit Preamplifier
Bryston 3B Power Amplifier (Early 80's)
Yamaha CT-810 Tuner
Nikko Gamma 1 Tuner
Thorens TD-160 Turntable
Various and Sundry DIY speakers including three designs from Zaph audio, column speakers designed by Jim Griffin and a set of Vaders from the Speaker building 201 book. Also a home brew subwoofer.
Several vintage Radios
Home brew E-Linear Tube amplifier designed by Pete Millett
Elliot Sound amplifier P3A, P88 preamplifier, and P06 Phono Preamp

I have been involved in audio since my high school days and over the past 5 year have become interested in speaker building. I do not design my own but build from others designs. I have also built several tube and solid state amplifiers.

:D

Welcome to AK dubwicht! :music: Always nice to have a "builder" in the crowd.

Also nice to see the Yamaha CR in your gear. :thmbsp:

Welcome man...
Hang around and you sure to find others that will help with your Akai search...
Pretty much all manufactures are represented here in some form....:yes:

Bill

Welcome Dubwicht,
Super gear! Don't know much about Akai except I remember the made good reel to reel tape decks when I was much younger.

Bob

My brother had nice little Akai back in early 80'2. Int amp ~40 watts with matching tuner. That was a very good tuner.

Welcome! Nice list of gear. I'm an Akai fan of old, but am more into the R2Rs and cassette decks than receivers. But stay tuned, lots of good info here.

Akai

Welcome , I don't know about their receivers, but I saw a very impressive set of late 60's speakers once, about 5 yrs ago and been booting myself in the butt ever since for not buying them.
I love the tapedecks that Akai makes, IMHO they do that better than anyone, even my favorite brand, Sansui...
Casey

Back
Top Bottom