New PC configuration: general use + music server

robert_kc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I’m not a PC expert – I’d appreciate any feedback about the following PC configuration.

My requirements for a new PC:

1. Quiet operation. (This PC will serve as a PC, and music server in my office.)
  2. I hate upgrading – I want this PC to last 6 – 8 years.
  3. Windows 10 installed
  4. No “adware”, “bloatware”, etc.
  5. General PC use: internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc (No gaming)
  6. Function as music server for high-res (24bit/192kHz) FLAC via USB DAC.
  7. Optical output for possible future use (e.g., possible future optical DAC)
  8. USB interfaces: at least 4. Adequate “clean” power for USB powered DAC.
  9. Analog audio output: good quality stereo 2 channel. (For when I don’t want to use DAC / hi-fi.)
  10. CD drive
  11. SD memory slot
  12. Ethernet jack.
  13. Wireless keyboard & mouse

I was pleased with the support that I received from the salesperson at MicroCenter today. He recommended a custom built PC as follows:

718171 Corsair RM750 Series 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply $ 134.99
582270 Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Mid-Tower Computer Case $ 64.99
207332 Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor $ 159.99
297267 Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) $ 79.99
572081 Crucial BX100 250GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive CT250BX100SSD1 $ 89.99
286161 Toshiba 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s Desktop 3.5" Internal Hard Drive PH3200U-1I72 $ 76.99
805424 Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit English - 1pk DSP OEM DVD $ 99.99
592147 Samsung SH-224FB/BSBE 24x SATA Internal DVD Burner - OEM $ 14.99
574582 Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING LGA1150 mATX $ 119.99
888438 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler $ 34.99
497966 Sabrent 75-in-1, 7-Slot USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader & Writer - Black $ 9.99
483172 Bytecc 3.5" Drive/Device Bracket For 5.25" Drive Bay, Black $ 5.99
930875 Logitech MK320 Series Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse $ 39.99

Estimate for pro services to build PC $ 140.00

Subtotal: $1,072.87

I didn’t shop for a monitor. I originally thought I’d re-use my 19” HP monitor that is 9 years old. Now I’m wondering if it would be wise to get a new one. I saw this one on MicroCenter’s web site:

569608 Acer 24" 1080p Full HD Widescreen LED Display - K242HL bd $ 119.99

And he didn’t include Microsoft Office. I’m not sure if this is the correct SKU:

241695 Microsoft Office ??? $ 139.99

If anyone has any suggested corrections or improvements to this configuration I’d appreciate it.

Is there a “factory made” PC that would be comparable?

After I live with the new Windows 10 PC for a while and experience its standard media player software, I will evaluate whether or not JRiver Media Center is a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks for any guidance!

P.S. Does anyone know of a DVD disk drive for a tower PC that plays SACDs in addition to CDs and DVDs? (The salesman at MicroCenter wasn't familiar with SACD.)

Last edited:
I would change out the processor to I7 for future proof and what is your backup strategy? Samsung makes good monitors to compare against the Acer. Sounds like a very good plan will watch the thread for updates.

Thanks jbailey930 for taking time to provide feedback.

I may ask MicroCenter (MC) to price the comparable good-quality Z170 motherboard vs. the good-quality Z97 board that’s currently configured. The gentleman at MC who helped me is very knowledgeable, and when I asked about the Z170 he said that he thought it was overkill for my needs. He recommended the “Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING LGA1150 mATX” with "Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor", 16GB RAM, a 256GB Solid State Drive (SSD) for the operating system, and 2 TB hard drive, based on my needs outlined above. He said that not only is the comparable quality Z170 board and i7 CPU more expensive, but memory for it is also more expensive. So the issue is how much to “over-buy” today in order to “future proof” the PC. I don’t want to be “penny wise and pound foolish”, but considering that I don’t do gaming, I don’t think that my CPU demands are that great. On the other hand, if I’m going to spend more than $1k on a PC, if the newer motherboard and memory is only a couple of hundred $ more, maybe it would be a wise investment. Any thoughts?

Another question at this point in time is whether or not to forgo an internal hard drive, and rely exclusively on a Solid State Drive (SSD). Again, the MC sales rep suggested that a 1TB SSD (approx $400) would be overkill for my needs. (I imagine that in a year or two PCs will be based solely on SSD, with no hard disk.)

Again, I’m not knowledgeable about PCs – so I’ll appreciate all advice.

Regarding backup, I currently have 2 USB hard drives. I just checked one of them – it’s 1.8 TB. I currently use them to store my FLAC files, plus provide PC backup. (Each USB drive is normally connected to one of my Oppo players.) I asked the gentleman at MC about differential backup software. He recommends just manually copying the “My Documents” folder (plus presumably exporting bookmarks, contact lists etc). I’d appreciate any thoughts on this.

Regarding monitors … I don’t have a clue at this point. I didn’t look at them when I was in MC today. I had assumed that I’d re-use my existing 19” HP monitor, but again – if I’m spending more than $1k on a PC, a new monitor might be worthwhile. I’ll look at the monitors when I go back to MC.

FWIW, I am pleased with the support that I’ve received from MicroCenter thus far. I went in with a list of my requirements and told them that I’m open to a laptop, a “factory made” PC, or a custom built PC. I think that my requirement for a quiet PC is probably what indicated a custom built PC with good-quality over-sized power supply, quiet CPU fan, and a cabinet with noise insulation. I may briefly shop elsewhere for a “factory built” PC, but right now I’m inclined to do business with MC.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
I love Microcenter. I was just at the local Fairfax store today. It is a surprising multi-billion dollar biz for 23 retail outlets! My last company worked with them to introduce mobile and wireless devices.

My bias is probably showing for the I7 rec. Depends on other uses you may have in the future.

I shoot digital images with Nikon D800 that produces 50mb files and my current machines are struggling with that load....The ssd hybrid config sounds like good strategy. You should configure a back process at least through Win to keep your backup up to date. The monitor is user preference and desktop real estate can play a factor.

My only questions about the build are: If you're not going to be gaming, why spend extra on a Z97 mobo vs an H97? Why an aftermarket CPU cooler, when the stock Intel ones are quiet and sufficient when not overclocking. Well, they're quiet enough for me, anyway--you might not think so.

I suggest running Windows off SSD, but allocate space for everything else (installed applications, data and backups) on a secondary HD.

Tbone289: Thanks for the feedback.

The MicroCenter person configured the proposal, so I’ll have to ask him about the Z97 motherboard when I go back. IIRC, one of the reasons is audio quality. One of my requirements is for good quality audio via the PC’s analog output, for when I don’t want to use my DAC / tube amp. (My current DAC isn't reliable, so I often use the analog output from my current PC, and I want to ensure that the new PC has good quality built-in audio.) The description for the Z97 motherboard that is currently configured reads: “GIGABYTE G1 Gaming motherboards are equipped with the GIGABYTE exclusive AMP-UP Audio Technology, which provides the industrys highest level of onboard audio features and technologies. With GIGABYTE AMP-UP Audio, gamers and audiophiles are able to experience crisp, ultra realistic sound effects while gaming, and the richest possible sound experience when listening to their favorite music and movies.” Is this relevant for 2 channel stereo? Bottom line, I don’t think the Z97 is much of a price premium over the H97 – but I need to double check the audio output capability of the proposed motherboard.

My current DAC has a USB interface. For future flexibility in using a different DAC, what other digital audio output (2 channel stereo) should the PC be equipped with?

One of my most important criteria is level of quietness. (My existing 9 yo PC is on its 3rd power supply, and I’ve learned that cheap power supplies start out loud, and get louder.) The MC rep recommended an oversized (750W) Corsair power supply so that its fan won’t run much, and he said that the CPU fan that’s configured is oversize and will generate less noise. He also recommended a PC case that’s supposed to dampen noise. Again I’m a novice regarding all of this - any other thoughts re noise reduction will be appreciated. (Unfortunately, I have a concern/complaint that the Google internet “modem” has a fan that I can hear ...)

I will be paying MC to build the machine. It is currently configured with a 250GB SSD. Am I correct that this SSD is large enough to run Windows 10, thereby improving performance vs. a hard disk? Is there anything special that MC needs to do when configuring the software?

Thanks again.

Some good feedback so far, I would add that I think the power supply is to big and overkill for your build. Also for home use I see no reason not to get a larger ssd and scrap the hdd. There is not much sense in buying a 250gb ssd anymore when 500gb and larger are getting cheap. I personally like smaller cases for home, non gaming use. You could buy something pre built, that is "thin mini" based and probably meet all you requirements. If you need more HD space with one of these there are really small, large capacity usb drives available for b/u and flac storage.

The MC rep is full of caca about the oversize psu fan.

silentpcreveiw is a great place to read on silent computing
jonnyguru is a good place to read about psu's

Is this just for office, internet browsing and music serving? Or do you plan on doing more?

For example I use these for general computing. They are silent and I have 960GB ssd's in them. They have wireless, infrared and cat5 connections as well as usb and hdmi.
0902151841a.jpg

0902151841.jpg

Last edited:
Beercan: Thanks very much for sharing your expertise. I’ll start studying the links you recommended.

My usage will be:

General PC usage: web browsing, email, Word, Excel, Powerpoint. (No gaming)

Music server: Hi-res (24bit/192kHz) FLAC (perhaps several dozen albums), CDs (approximately 100 - 200 CDs) that have been copied to disk, and I’d like to have access to internet radio such as kusc.org. Plus I’d like the flexibility to try premium services like Spotify Premium, Tidal, etc.

I’ll need a variety of options for physical connectivity.
SD slots.
My car has an SD card slot for audio. I’d like to be able to copy MP3s to an SD card.
Am I correct that some digital cameras use SD cards?
Am I correct that there a 2 different sizes of SD cards? I’d like to buy a PC that offers flexibility for the future – i.e., both sizes.​
USB: DAC, my existing camera, USB hard drive. At least 3 USB.

Would an optical interface provide me with future flexibility for a different DAC? Is this TosLink? Any specs that I need to be concerned with?

I need a CD drive in order to copy my CDs. Is there a CD drive that will play SACDs?​

I think that I want the flexibility to have decent quality 2 channel analog audio output built into the PC. (My existing DAC isn’t reliable.) This may not be essential, I suppose. Again, I’d like some flexibility for future use.

I want the PC to last me for at least 6 years. (My existing XP PC is 9 years old … and still chugging along.)

I plan to eventually do in-home networking of hi-res music. I plan to buy a smartphone or tablet to control the music server.​

What is the make and model of the computer that you are showing in the pic? Does the keyboard/mouse connect wireless?

If there is a Windows 10 based factory-made computer that has a 0.5TB or 1TB SSD, and is low noise, and has the capabilities that I need? I could wait until late 2015 if there will be more product options on the market.

I just checked the “My Music” folder on my existing PC - according to “properties” it is currently 50GB – so I assume that it might triple to 150GB.

The SSD currently priced in the configuration recommended by MC is 250GB for $90. It appears that the comparable 500GB SSD is $180. I don’t want to be “penny wise and pound foolish” – considering that the PC would currently cost approximately $1300 including software (e.g., Microsoft Office) – I’d gladly spend an extra $90 for the larger SSD – if there will be a benefit. (The built-in 2TB hard disk is $77.) How does the user control where programs are stored? Where files are stored – simply “save as” SSD: file-directory-location? Is there a benefit to having my music on the SSD? Your thoughts?

Switching gears to software, I see that you use JRiver. Have you compared it with the standard Windows 10 media player? Do you use a JRiver “Id Pi” for in-home music networking? http://jriver.com/Id/

Sorry for all of the questions – and thanks again. I imagine there are others who are in the market for a new PC – and who like me aren’t PC gurus – who will benefit from this discussion.

I agree with the comment about PS sizing. You don't need more than a 400watt Corsair. I have virtually the same configuration as the proposed one except with H97, 1 SSD and 2-2TB HDs plus a gaming video card (GTX 960) and my 400 watt Corsair runs it all with plenty of overhead at full tilt, and very quiet and cool. As I type this, I'm sitting 3 ft away from my system with stock CPU cooler and I can't hear it.

The only benefits of the Z97 chipset over the H97 are the overclocking options and more capacity for gaming video cards. You're right, the price of a Z97 over an H97 isn't substantial, but why buy what you'll never need regardless?

My ASUS H97 MB has very good SPDIF coax out, and optical is an option on some.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom