New pics of my Fisher 1800!

chameloman72

Well, here she is all restored! The tuner string was a bitch, but i got er licked!:banana:

Attachments

• 1800 restored 002.jpg
    1800 restored 002.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 1800 restored 004.jpg
    1800 restored 004.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 104
Wow, that is a beautiful Fisher! Nice old style wood case too. Forgive me for being envious...:drool:

Very nice receiver, I've never seen a Fisher before.
When and where were they built.

Fisher built tube receivers from the mid 50s to about 1969. The 1800 was the last of the Fisher tube receivers, it was basically an 800C with the updated solid-state gear cosmetics. The Fisher tube gear was built in New York.

Fisher built tube receivers from the mid 50s to about 1969. The 1800 was the last of the Fisher tube receivers, it was basically an 800C with the updated solid-state gear cosmetics. The Fisher tube gear was built in New York.

How are they, quality wise, sound wise, from the best, comparable to who, and how hard is it to get one, providing they are good quality vintage equipment.
Thanks

How are they, quality wise, sound wise, from the best, comparable to who, and how hard is it to get one, providing they are good quality vintage equipment.
Thanks

I may be a bit biased, but Fisher tube gear is up there with the best from that era. HH Scott would have been a major competitor. The transformers are exceptional quality, and the components were top notch. As far as sound, I think Fisher can run with H/K and even McIntosh. Yeah, I just said that. But honestly, you won't be disappointed with vintage Fisher tube equipment. Don't let the Studio Standard stuff affect your view, it's totally unrelated to Avery Fisher's original company. And it's easy to find most Fisher gear, especially if you want to go the receiver route. A 500C would be an ideal place to start.

As far as sound, I think Fisher can run with H/K and even McIntosh. Yeah, I just said that. But honestly, you won't be disappointed with vintage Fisher tube equipment.

+2 :thmbsp:

I just listened to a KX200 for 4 hrs. I am so surprised at the performance.
It sounds different than my Cit2's or MC240, but it's a good different.

It slams the bass similar to my Cit2's. It is a little shy in the mid to upper mid range compared to the 240.

I just started hearing tube Fishers recently and am very (surprised) impressed with the sound.

Steve

I may be a bit biased, but Fisher tube gear is up there with the best from that era. HH Scott would have been a major competitor. The transformers are exceptional quality, and the components were top notch. As far as sound, I think Fisher can run with H/K and even McIntosh. Yeah, I just said that. But honestly, you won't be disappointed with vintage Fisher tube equipment. Don't let the Studio Standard stuff affect your view, it's totally unrelated to Avery Fisher's original company. And it's easy to find most Fisher gear, especially if you want to go the receiver route. A 500C would be an ideal place to start.

Thanks for your detailed point of view/explanation. Lately I've been thinking of going with tubes, but did'nt know if I should go with Mc (expensive), H/K (expensive) or a few other in the non-vintage gears. I will certainly now do more research on this brand, and as you said, especially from the 60s and not the new one. There are other vintage tubes gears, separate, integrated, and receivers, like, Sansui, and Pioneer to name a few, but every time I came across one of those, the price was very exaggerated and the amp was a real mess, not even worth repairing.
André

+2 :thmbsp:

I just listened to a KX200 for 4 hrs. I am so surprised at the performance.
It sounds different than my Cit2's or MC240, but it's a good different.

It slams the bass similar to my Cit2's. It is a little shy in the mid to upper mid range compared to the 240.

I just started hearing tube Fishers recently and am very (surprised) impressed with the sound.

Steve

Thanks for your input Steve, that re-enforce "Jailtime" input.
And, as I said earlier, "Chameloman72" as one nice vintage receiver.
André

Last edited:
The sound is wonderful. I took my 1800 to a Chicago area AK get-together last year, and it was quite well received.

Fisher gear is like an old American car. In an old American car, with the hood open, you can sit on the side of the car (I'm not talking show condition here) and reach down and disconnect and pull out the alternator.
Fishers are like that. Great point-to-point craftsmanship, top quality parts originally installed, plenty of working room (of course there are exceptions) and plenty of inventory to choose from.
Dip yer toe in the water . . . we'll walk along with ya and talk.

The sound is wonderful. I took my 1800 to a Chicago area AK get-together last year, and it was quite well received.

Fisher gear is like an old American car. In an old American car, with the hood open, you can sit on the side of the car (I'm not talking show condition here) and reach down and disconnect and pull out the alternator.
Fishers are like that. Great point-to-point craftsmanship, top quality parts originally installed, plenty of working room (of course there are exceptions) and plenty of inventory to choose from.
Dip yer toe in the water . . . we'll walk along with ya and talk.

Thanks for the inputs, I'll start my search in my own Province and see what's available. Price wise, I'll inquire in the future in the proper place, "dollars and sense".

Don brings up a good point, Fishers are really easy to work on compared to the Japanese tube receivers. Sansuis have loads of electrolytic caps that must be replaced, and they are all in tight quarters.

Back
Top Bottom