New Pro-ject Tube Box DS on its way

Mellotronix

I took advantage of the recent price drop of the Pro-ject phono pre's and ordered a Tube Box DS. The lineup is in the midst of a massive overhaul, and the DS2 is already available. The information on the new box is auf Deutsch, und, ja, ich spreche Deutsch, aber, ich bin rusty. But as far as I can tell, the main upgrades on the new unit are cosmetic and there are push buttons for cart settings rather than jumpers, and the new unit handles two turntables. I'm certain that Pro-ject will tout all kinds of sonic upgrades because that's what is expected when you replace a popular item in your catalog.

Still, for $400, the old Tube Box DS is quite a bargain, especially since I don't have a super high end rig. I'm running a Pro-ject "The Classic" and a Grado Sonata Reference II cartridge into one of those new Yamaha integrated amps with 100w/channel. So the Tube Box is an excellent option. I don't switch out cartridges often and only have one TT connected to this system. My old phono stage is a Schiit Mani which is going to be moved into the home theater room to be used with my Pro-ject Esprit deck w/ Ortofon Blue cart. By the way, the Schiit Mani is a marvel for $130.

I'll let you know how it works with my deck and Grado wood cart. Reviews have been favorable for the Tube Box DS since its release in 2012 (don't quote me on that year...I'm guessing). Rock on.

Update. Got the new Tube Box DS. I'm a guitarist and I own a dozen or so tube amps, so I have lots of preamp tubes to choose from. So far, the stockers are still in the Tube Box until I have some time. It's always an "oh crap" moment whenever you fire up a new component, and that's followed by the sound of a drum kit collapsing and a totally anti-climactic moment. So, yeah, check on all of that.

First and foremost, I want to speak to the sound quality of the Schiit Mani that I'm replacing. You'd be hard pressed to find another device for $130 that competes with what that little wonder does. If you're still using the phono stage on your integrated amp, invest the $ on the Mani and thank me later.

Second, the Tube Box has not given up the goods yet, but I'm certain that it's more than capable. I've been switching jumpers (it's not nearly as fiddly as I was led to believe). I can't make up my mind between 40 and 50 db of gain. Right now I'm listening to 40db and it sounds about right--no distortion, but I'll keep experimenting when my ears aren't ringing. My Tinnitus gets bad after mixing music for a few hours, especially when high barometric pressure is in place. Once I settle on some NOS tubes, I'll crank it way up on 50db to listen for distortion.

I tried a couple of settings for capacitance, but that is irrelevant for the Grado MI Reference 2 Sonata cart that I'm using, so I removed all of those jumpers and it sounds punchy enough, but, like I said, my ears are not behaving today so I'll try again, hopefully tomorrow. More to follow. Rock on.

If the output of the cart is 4.8mv I would think 40db would be plenty of gain.

Not in the market for the Tube Box DS, but I like the look and features of the DS+ with the front LED panel and I'm considering one of those or the new MOFI Studio Phono, possibly some others in the same price range.

The Mani is a definitely good for the price, but if you live close to a radio station you could have issues with it.

If the output of the cart is 4.8mv I would think 40db would be plenty of gain.

Not in the market for the Tube Box DS, but I like the look and features of the DS+ with the front LED panel and I'm considering one of those or the new MOFI Studio Phono, possibly some others in the same price range.

The Mani is a definitely good for the price, but if you live close to a radio station you could have issues with it.

40 db is definitely enough. I gave my ears a rest and fired up the new component. My wife noticed the difference immediately. The low end is very hefty but not boomy or thumpy. Stereo separation is noticeably better. I am trying to figure out why the noise floor is so much improved, but it probably has little to do with the Tube Box and more to do with the fact that I did some routine maintenance on my Project TT (calibrating/adjusting etc.). Overall though, there's added weight to the whole presentation that sounds very natural. I have lots of other tube gear and I understand that, with modern audio design, a couple of 12AX7's are not going to make a world of difference like some folks might think. But if they are part of an otherwise well engineered piece of kit, they can add some subtle distortion characteristics and harmonics that can sound quite grand.

Back
Top Bottom