New Project: 'Junk Parts' Amp build - Voltage / Bias question

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Wharfcreek, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:29 AM.

1. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek AK Subscriber Subscriber

I shall give that a shot. Will be interesting to see how close the 'calculation' comes to what the actual PS voltage is. One question: Is the 5AR4 really going to drop 35 volts? I was under the impression that this tube dropped significantly less than that. Also, will capacitor value in uf make any difference in this? My experience has been that in using 30 and 47 uf caps in the PS, that voltages got pretty high. However, when I dropped those values some, and like I mentioned above, used a 10uf right off the rectifier pin 8...... I found voltages within the PS dropped measurably....by like 15 or so volts as I recall. TSD

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kward

kward AK Subscriber Subscriber

Voltage drop at rectifier depends on the current. I'm going from memory. It might be a bit less

My experience is the DC on the B+ doesnt change much if first cap is like 22 uF or larger. Depends on current though.

3. kward

By the way my moto amp uses a 3V rectifier -- a 3DG4, and its voltage drop is right around 15V at the current demanded from my amp, but I believe the 5AR4 drops more than the 3DG4 under similar conditions.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM
  4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I really don't like tapping the output transformers after a resistor. The more impedance you add to the supply, the more things sag and that does nothing good for power output or distortion. OPT comes straight off the first cap, anything else can go where it needs to. If I have a choice about it, I try to not have the screens after a really big resistor either. Maybe tap that after the choke.

5. 6DZ7

6DZ7 Super Member

Y'all, et al. C'm on....

6. FlaCharlie

FlaCharlie AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just noticed that the Channel Master also uses a 12AU7 in front of a pair of 12AX7s. I think a lot has to do with the strength of your source signal. If its a CD or similar 2v source you might just be able to eliminate that first tube. Lots of amps just use two 12AX7s. I'm listening to a Fisher SA-16 using iTunes and it seems to work fine with that setup. The Maggies and others do fine too.

7. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

The 12AU7 stage is to make up for the signal loss in the tone controls.

8. kward

Something on your mind, 6?

I'd be okay with it as long as the resistor is small. Even a small resistor (say 47 ohms) kills ripple down quite a bit if used in conjunction with fairly large filter cap after it; I'd prefer a choke though, instead of a plain old resistor.

I know--ripple (mostly) cancels in a balanced stage if tubes are reasonably well matched. In any case it will be less of an issue if EFB is used, since EFB will track the voltage sag and auto adjust the bias accordingly. Thought I heard Wharf mention maybe using EFB on this amp if things work out...

9. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

Beautiful job, as usual Scott!!! Really like that blue... Thanks for the thread Tom,,, more lessons to be gained here!

s-petersen likes this.
  10. 6DZ7

6DZ7 Super Member

If WC sticks to the parts list specs there's 140mA to use. No sweat for the rectifier. If 30uF > choke 56R > 20uF = B+ to handle a 70W amp we all know and love, then just give me a dozen ea. 33uF, C-354, 47uf caps for any dozen EL-84 amps.

11. FlaCharlie

FlaCharlie AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe I'm just a simpleton but I have no idea what your point is. And what's a C-354?

12. s-petersen

s-petersen Scott Subscriber

C-354 is a Dynaco choke

13. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

If you want less sag in a PS , a Choke from what gadget73 and a few others are saying you want one with with lower resistance , like close to 20 ohms, and Edcor has them for reasonable $.

14. 6DZ7

6DZ7 Super Member

Dynaco's little basic @1.5H, @60R, 200mA choke. The chokes in common Magnavox amps have similar specs. They are inexpensive, small, fit anywhere. I just refer to them because they're common and are maybe a bit higher value than other common 1H low R chokes.

CLC.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:15 PM
  15. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

16. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek AK Subscriber Subscriber

OK, good thoughts here on the choke. But, as indicated about the ST-70 and the C-354 choke, I believe those Dynaco folks figured that the DC power supply was OK with this choke in line. The Hammond 156R has nearly the same specs as the C-354 with the same 50 ish ohms of DC resistance, and 1.5 H induction. The 354 is I believe rated at roughly the same 200 ma of current as the 156. So, I'm thinking that since I have a 156 here, that's what I'll use. Also, I might add that the OTs in this build are perhaps a bit less demanding than those in other EL84 builds.....and certainly less so than those in the ST-70. As this amp isn't intended to be anything other than a 'functional daily drive / work horse' type unit.... I think that 156 will be fine. There's still a chance that I'll need a dropping resistor some place in the PS as well. So, as all this is still a 'work in process'.... I think I'll have to do some 'punting' down the road. WC