New Rack

jn229

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just finished building a new rack. I wanted a rack that was sturdy, acoustically dead, inexpensive and large enough to add more components.

The finished rack’s shelves are made with Baltic plywood. They are hollow, the top shelf is sand filled, but it turned out so heavy the other two shelves were foam filled. The surface is Arborite, trimmed with one by two pine. With the components in place it is very heavy and solid. You can bang on the top shelf till your knuckles are red and smarting with no audible/visual affect.

The components pictured:

The turntable: You will not recognize because it is a hand built DIY project, my brother in law’s mechanical mind conceived. Some of the unique features, are an on the fly adjustable VTA, brass pedestal, two inch Teflon platter (with inverted bearing) and multiple arm fixtures. The arm is a slightly modified Rega 300, with an Ortofon Kontrapunkt ‘a’.

The electronics:
‘Graham Slee Reflex Era Gold’ phono stage, coupled with a ‘Bryston step up transformer.
Audio Research LS3 Preamplifier
Kenwood L-07 mono block amplifiers

The speakers:
I always loved the old latticed grill look, so I modified an old pair of Sansui speakers. The cabinets were lined with three ¾” MDF on all 6 sides. Cross bracing added. The drivers; an Usher 10” woofer (tuned to 33 hertz), crossed at 350 hertz to a 5” Vifa midrange, crossed at 2800 Hertz to an Usher 1” dome tweeter. The cross over was designed with a Harris Tech program, and then tuned by ear over a period of 2 years.

Attachments

• rack 001.jpg
    rack 001.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 258
  • rack 002.jpg
    rack 002.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 141
  • rack 003.jpg
    rack 003.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 196
That's a beautiful DIY rack, man! Nice work. Gorgeous looking set up too; you must be very happy. I always admire systems with a DIY aspect.
:smoke:

Very nice. I like what you have done with the speakers. The Kabuki type speakers from Sansui and Pioneer have always had beautiful cabinets, but to many drivers. Which model Sansui did you use for your drivers? Did you remove the old baffle, or bulid over the existing one? If the grills come off, and chance of getting a pic of the drivers? Mirrored imaged as well?

Very, very nice work!

It looks great and I am sure it performs great.

Very nice looking set up you have!

What an outstanding job you did. With the top shelf... can you explain in detail how you sealed the sand in?

Looking good!

One thing that always gets on my mind, regarding racks/shelves here on AK though. Especially now, when it is custom made.

Why are they always so low, almost floor level? Is everyone on AK tiny people? ;) Are you lying on the floor as you listen to music? :D My shelf is about a meter tall, and I think even that is much too low.

i have been wanting to build a new rack for my system.
only problem is i want to make it out of steel and have a door that can lock on the front to keep my units secure and safe for when im away.
and thats a problem because i dont have any welding skills or scrap metal.. i dont have a welder for that matter either.
im wanting it to have metal framing with some kind of mesh pannels so that air can still circulate. i plan on having quiet fans inside in certain places.
also wanting the doors to be able to open and slide in the sides so they can be out of the way.

any idea where i can see prices of materials for something like this?

Looking good!

One thing that always gets on my mind, regarding racks/shelves here on AK though. Especially now, when it is custom made.

Why are they always so low, almost floor level? Is everyone on AK tiny people? ;) Are you lying on the floor as you listen to music? :D My shelf is about a meter tall, and I think even that is much too low.

it comes down to room for me. If have room on the bottom of a rack, Im gonna fill it with something.

Very nice. I like what you have done with the speakers. The Kabuki type speakers from Sansui and Pioneer have always had beautiful cabinets, but to many drivers. Which model Sansui did you use for your drivers? Did you remove the old baffle, or bulid over the existing one? If the grills come off, and chance of getting a pic of the drivers? Mirrored imaged as well?

The drivers are aligned vertically. I was thinking about taking a picture but, all the drivers are black and generic in looks. The front baffles were cut out and replaced. The backs come off these Sansui which is common for vintage floor standers. With the back off and front removed modifications are easy. The finish is Walnut that has been stripped, stained and clear finished.

Last edited:
What an outstanding job you did. With the top shelf... can you explain in detail how you sealed the sand in?

The shelves are 41” x 16”; two pieces of ply the same size were cut. Then a 1” strip placed around the outside edge to separate and form a hollow shelf when assembled. Two strips of 1” material was run from end to end to form 3 chambers on the inside. One end was left open so the sand could be added, then sealed. The outer edge was fitted with 1” x 2” pine to hide the rough plywood. Heavy and acoustically dead!!!

Back
Top Bottom