new receiver..distortion in left channel..help!

fabchef

Hi everyone i recently picked up a pioneer sx-580 receiver..i cleaned out all the pots and switches( no not with deoxit but something like it)..and i have distortion coming out of the left channel. IT starts at low volume and gets lounder as the volume goes up. I changed out all the fuses in the unit as well. i tried switching speakers (left for right) and the distoriton is still on the left channel. I even tried connecting on speaker B and the distortion is on the one too..any ideas? thanks
fab

Hi everyone i recently picked up a pioneer sx-580 receiver..i cleaned out all the pots and switches( no not with deoxit but something like it)..and i have distortion coming out of the left channel. IT starts at low volume and gets lounder as the volume goes up. I changed out all the fuses in the unit as well. i tried switching speakers (left for right) and the distoriton is still on the left channel. I even tried connecting on speaker B and the distortion is on the one too..any ideas? thanks
fab

The amplifier modules are socketed. After the power has been off at least overnight, swap the modules left to right and see if the distortion moves to the other channel.

Swapping from speaker a to speaker b and getting a change would be a rare occasion indeed. :D

MArk...okay..so the amp module are the snap in black triangual style shape ones right? so if it's that the issue i can just buy a new one and swap it out? it seems like there is a glue on the back of it or something..what is that stuff and what can i use? thanks
fabs

MArk...YOU DA MAN! so i did what you suggested i switched amp modules and it seems to be that...the left channel is good and the right is now distorted, so where can i find these modules? it's a:
Darlington Power PAck stk-0029
are these ones hard to find? if so are there any substitute ones that can work? thanks
fab

Try Digikey.com, BDENT.com, mcmelectronics.com

Stay away from NTE products.

update***
I ended up finding out at a local "vintage audio" shop (this place is the untimate time warp shop), i picked up a small tube of (computer) heat sink coumpound (i hope this is okay for audio gear) and will attach it tonight...
fabs

MArk...YOU DA MAN! so i did what you suggested i switched amp modules and it seems to be that...the left channel is good and the right is now distorted, so where can i find these modules? it's a:
Darlington Power PAck stk-0029
are these ones hard to find? if so are there any substitute ones that can work? thanks
fab

http://www.electronix.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=stk0029&x=0&y=0

for 6 bucks

bdent seems out

same with mcm

have to be careful with heat sink compound - in this case you are ok because the case is isolated, but usually the heat sink compound we use has to be non-conductive - and SOME computer heat sink compound IS conductive.

Back
Top Bottom