New Recruit from North Carolina

Smorgy

Vinyl Junky Speakerhaulic
Subscriber
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a setreohaulic. I guess I've always had the disease but it came into full bloom about 5 years ago.

I did run into the quad buzz-saw and managed to survive. I have a Sansui 5000x receiver and a Sansui QS-800 rear channel amp hooked to to 2 SP-200's and 2 SP 2000's. Lesson learned: I only have 2 ears. The whole quad thing just was too much for me. The problem was in finding a good place in the room to actually hear quad and then always nit-picking the sound...was it correct, balanced, too much front? too much rear? too much left? too much right? Grrrrr. I still have the gear, but I'm back to basic stereo and happy.

Speakers seem to find their way into my home at will. I can't resist real wood speakers with non-foam surrounds, but my next project will be learning to refoam a pair of EPI 100v speakers and then a pair of Optimus T-200's.

The Optimus speakers have two 10" active woofers in each cabinet with a resistance of 16 ohms each. (16 ohms + 16 ohms = 8 ohms). To keep the speakers working, I bought four 10" woofers, but only 8 ohms each, so I had to wire them in parallel instead of series. I'd like to get back to the original configuration.

I don't have a good list of my stuff handy, but I did pile it up against the wall a couple years ago (my wall of sound avatar) and I've been adding to the pile since. I enjoy getting a new piece of gear and putting it to work to see if its good enough to replace one of my main pieces.

Feel free to say hello. Hopefully I will be able to find my way around without too much problem.

Cheers!
Mike

I'm in Kernersville, Macaltec. Yes, I will be checking out the speaker forum and more. It takes some time to get through the wealth of data here!

I'm in Kernersville, Macaltec. Yes, I will be checking out the speaker forum and more. It takes some time to get through the wealth of data here!

Seems we are not too far apart. And there are other members even closer to you than I. You busy next Saturday?

More NC'ers?!? Man, the average IQ around here is being dragged D-O-W-N ..... :D

Welcome!

I think you should check your grammer "dragged" is not the correct form of that word. And you're crackin on us Rednecks for bein' stoopid :scratch2: :D.

I think you should check your grammer "dragged" is not the correct form of that word. And you're crackin on us Rednecks for bein' stoopid :scratch2: :D.

I would, except it's "grammar", not "grammer". Grammer is what you call your Grand Mother before you can speak the King's English.... :D

I would, except it's "grammar", not "grammer". Grammer is what you call your Grand Mother before you can speak the King's English.... :D

Dang, you got me. I guess we are bringing down the collective IQ. I'm going back to the bike forum.

*EDIT* Well the bike forum is still down, so you's guy's are stuck with me for a bit longer.

Awe sh*t another Southerner!

We just don't get that many newbies from the midwest...

Maybe I should move south, I've got more friend in your neck of the woods here :D

Welcome to AK Smorgy, enjoy yer stay!

Back
Top Bottom