New releases, 2015

Rudresh Mahanthappa / Bird Calls

MI0003826404.jpg

The Oh Hellos - Dear Wormwood (2015)

o4gUYX3.jpg

Folk rock sibling duo. First album I've heard from them. It's good, and ranges from atmospheric and sparse vocals and instrumentation to the rollicking crescendos of a full band with group vocals (they even reach moments of hard rock). A very Americana sound imo, with bluegrass influences, but eclectic in that it seems many diverse (folk) sub genres are fused together. The mood seems to me mostly upbeat, even jubilant (at least on the more dynamic songs), with a soft pleasantness in the more laid back pieces. Quite a diverse album with a lot of things going on, it's an interesting listen that I feel will only get better with more examination.

4/5

This song is a fair representation of their sound, but that sound is diverse enough that I feel no one song can encompass it, so really the whole album must be heard in order to "get" them imo:

EDIT: I thought maybe these guys were mentioned itt before! Ethan mentioned them in this post and while I didn't quite "get" them upon my cursory listen to what he linked, I'm glad I gave them another shot and tried this album in its whole (which I came across in my independent searching and had forgotten that the band was mentioned itt before!).

Just got this on vinyl in the mail, and dang is it good!!!

ohhello.jpg ohello3.png

MI0003989511.jpg

Isabelle van Keulen Ensemble
Ástor Piazzolla: Grand Tango!

SACD

Release Date
October 23, 2015
Duration
59:36
Genre
ClassicalInternational
Styles
Chamber MusicTangoSouth American Traditions
Recording Date
May 18, 2015 - May 20, 2015

Late 2015 release just now available here in the states on the Challenge Recordings, a wonderful studio who takes great pains to capture the pure performance as they did on this.

Refreshing to hear Tango, it's been a while.

All Music does not rate it (as with many of my spinns, seems I am not mainstream enough)
I give it 3 1/2. It has a place.

cutsofguilt_artwork.jpeg

Merzbow, Gustafsson, Pándi, Moore / Cuts Of Guilt, Cuts Deeper / Rare Noise Records

I picked up on this from a year-end list someplace and ordered a copy; it was a March 2015 release I think. The trio of Merzbow (electronics), Mats Gustafsson (sax and electronics) and Balazs Pandi (drums), who already recorded one album of improvised music, met up with Thurston Moore at a combination skate park & recording studio in London, and this is the result. It sits somewhere between improvised noise and the free jazz of Coleman and Coltrane. There are four long pieces across the double LP/double CD. I quite like it, but I doubt very few of my fellow AKers would be up for something this far out.

https://soundcloud.com/rarenoiserecords/sets/cuts-of-guilt-cuts-deeper-snippets

MI0003986050.jpg

Beatrice Rana / Antonio Pappano / Accademia di Santa Cecilia Orchestra
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 2; Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1

Release Date
November 27, 2015
Duration
01:07:00
Genre
Classical
Styles
Concerto
Recording Date
July 13, 2015 - July 17, 2015

another charm from 2015.
great musicianship, lot's of energy
what a gift this young lady is
This debut album is impressive, very impressive. What fire, what skill from this Italian temptress!
All Music gave this album 4 1/2 stars, I, 4.

Last edited:
MI0003942588.jpg

Laurie Anderson
Heart of a Dog

Release Date

October 23, 2015
Duration

01:14:46
Genre

Stage & ScreenAvant-GardePop/Rock
Styles

SoundtracksExperimentalMixed MediaAlternative/Indie RockExperimental Rock

I listened to this a few months ago and it really turned me off. The lyrics I though, unsettling, uncomfortable.
Musically it sounded good if not very good. I decide to wait till I spun it again or a few more times before rating it.
As a big Anderson fan I wanted to give it every benefit
Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to spin it again.

So... I need be honest say I pretty much don'y think it her better stuff, for the reason stated.
All Music loved it and gave it 4 stars. 15 voluntary raters on All Music gave it and average of 4 1/2 stars.
I can give it but 2 stars if I am honest.

FFS (Franz Ferdinand & Sparks) - FFS

MI0003854339.jpg

A long-simmering collaboration between the two bands, I missed this when it was released last summer. I saw it on an end-of-year list where it looked to be witty and fun (one track is titled "Collaborations Don't Work") and it does not disappoint. I've got some albums by both bands, but now I feel the need to explore further.

I've got "Pretty Pimpin'" stuck in my head. I'm really enjoying this one. Nice blend of his last two efforts, but I think his lyrics are getting even better. Double LP vinyl is a quiet pressing with good dynamics if vinyl is your thing. Decent price for a double LP, too. Comes with an MP3 DL.

Well I finally got off my arse and bought B'lieve I'm Going Down and am enjoying it immensely. It's a quieter album than Kuirt Vile's previous ones but that suits me just fine. I was overseas when he was touring in Australia, so might have to wait a couple of years to see him.

MI0003877208.jpg

Bruce Brubaker
Glass Piano

Release Date

June 2, 2015
Duration

01:02:35
Genre

Classical
Styles

Keyboard

Not sure how I missed this release previous but I did. On the surface it looks to be a winner but for me, it just never seemed to get "going"
This presentation just does not produce the energy necessary to make this material work optimally.
It just sounds hollow but not lonely which would be redemptive.
With all the great Glass releases last year, this cannot be considered disappointing but it's not one I can endorse.

All Music left it unrated, I gave it 2 1/2.

Back
Top Bottom