New Releases, 2016

eljr

Koyaanisqatsi
This thread is intended for all releases this year, of any genre. Weather you like it or not. Your opinion matters.

The hope is that each post of a new release will be accompanied by the posters thoughts on it and or a link with more info.

Even a simple thrubs up or thumbs down will be nice however all posts will be appreciated.

I know I have several 2016 releases on order, as they are released and listened to, I'll post them.

The 2015 thread is still running as, I know, I still have about a dozen albums to post from 15 so you can use that for things that are new now.

Thanks all!

k2-_0ce14492-a9be-4d1e-bcb0-b107b78f1eb5.v1.jpg

David Bowie
Blackstar

Release Date
January 8, 2016
Duration
41:13
Genre
Pop/Rock
Styles
Art RockExperimental RockContemporary Pop/Rock

Clearly David knew of his imminent demise and he left us all a present.
In context of his passing, it is very moving.
Musically it's as good as his best work which is saying tons.
Elegant, confident and hypnotic with precision studio value.
Just a winner, a great way to start the new year, thanks Mr Bowie.

All Music gave it a 4 stars.
I give it 4 1/2.

David Bowie
Blackstar

Release Date
January 8, 2016
Duration
Genre
Pop/Rock
Styles

I give it 4 1/2.

Good review.

I purchased this one Friday for my road trip home and had the chance to give it a few listens already. The fact that he knew he was dying completely changes the context of the album, especially the title track.

It is a beautiful album.

"Elegant, confident and hypnotic with precision studio value.

Just a winner, a great way to start the new year, thanks Mr Bowie."

~Well put eljr. Really nothing else needs to be said.

Thanks again to eljr for making a thread for the New Year in which to find and discuss brand new music!

David Bowie - Blackstar

pJW0lCQ.jpg

My first new album of the New Year, and what a listen! I'm now going on my third listen since Sunday.

I don't think I can add anything really to eljr's fine summation, but at the risk of embarrassing myself, I'll try. Prefatory remark: I am a Bowie fan, but not a real "deep" one (I still have only listened to his 90's and 2000's material just once or twice for instance) and know little about his life or circumstances surrounding this release, besides some highlights I've gleaned in recent days.

Hmm...well, this has many of the hallmarks that make a classic Bowie album imo: variances from maniac intensity (often at climatic moments) to quiet and contemplative atmospheric passages, enigmatic lyrics, a driving rhythmic base to many tracks, and moments of highly emotive lyrical and musical heights that force you to stop and listen (and even become emotional given his demise and the lyrical content), all contained in an art rock/experimental type package (with some nice jazz inflection) that melds the retro and contemporary seamlessly and is mostly mid-tempo and "dark" sounding (musically, but often lyrically as well). A very interesting and compelling listen; very meaningful music. It is always fortuitous when an artist who has been around for so long, and has put out so much material, can still create such enjoyable, engaging, and relevant, music. A very fitting swan song: I don't think it's premature to call it one of the best in the history of rock n' roll.

Favorites are: Blackstar, Lazarus, and I Can't Give Everything Away (my personal favorite, very tender...and an elegiac final word imo that is quickly becoming one of my favorite all time Bowie songs).

4 1/2 out of 5 for me as well, one of his best, and I don't feel this is an over-rating due to the resultant emotion surrounding this release which can inflate such ratings (at least temporarily), but as objective of an assessment as I can muster (for instance, in listening to some of his back catalog in the last couple days, I have not come to like in any greater degree material I am ambivalent about, nor like more that which I do like already; also, I am very rarely compelled to listen to any new-to-me album 3 times in a matter of days: that by itself is a high indication that I really am fond of the material and will remain so for the foreseeable future). At the very least, this will surely hold a 4/5 for me ultimately.

Thanks for this parting gift David, and for all the great music throughout the decades.

EDIT: The DR for this album, per the norm, on the CD is a lowly 5. I just ordered the vinyl which has a DR of 11: this one deserves it!

Last edited:
Thanks again to eljr for making a thread for the New Year in which to find and discuss brand new music!

David Bowie - Blackstar

pJW0lCQ.jpg

My first new album of the New Year, and what a listen! I'm now going on my third listen since Sunday.

I don't think I can add anything really to eljr's fine summation, but at the risk of embarrassing myself, I'll try. Prefatory remark: I am a Bowie fan, but not a real "deep" one (I still have only listened to his 90's and 2000's material just once or twice for instance) and know little about his life or circumstances surrounding this release, besides some highlights I've gleaned in recent days.

Hmm...well, this has many of the hallmarks that make a classic Bowie album imo: variances from maniac intensity (often at climatic moments) to quiet and contemplative atmospheric passages, enigmatic lyrics, a driving rhythmic base to many tracks, and moments of highly emotive lyrical and musical heights that force you to stop and listen (and even become emotional given his demise and the lyrical content), all contained in an art rock/experimental type package (with some nice jazz inflection) that melds the retro and contemporary seamlessly and is mostly mid-tempo and "dark" sounding (musically, but often lyrically as well). A very interesting and compelling listen; very meaningful music. It is always fortuitous when an artist who has been around for so long, and has put out so much material, can still create such enjoyable, engaging, and relevant, music. A very fitting swan song: I don't think it's premature to call it one of the best in the history of rock n' roll.

Favorites are: Blackstar, Lazarus, and I Can't Give Everything Away (my personal favorite, very tender...and an elegiac final word imo that is quickly becoming one of my favorite all time Bowie songs).

4 1/2 out of 5 for me as well, one of his best, and I don't feel this is an over-rating due to the resultant emotion surrounding this release which can inflate such ratings (at least temporarily), but as objective of an assessment as I can muster (for instance, in listening to some of his back catalog in the last couple days, I have not come to like in any greater degree material I am ambivalent about, nor like more that which I do like already; also, I am very rarely compelled to listen to any new-to-me album 3 times in a matter of days: that by itself is a high indication that I really am fond of the material and will remain so for the foreseeable future). At the very least, this will surely hold a 4/5 for me ultimately.

Thanks for this parting gift David, and for all the great music throughout the decades.

EDIT: The DR for this album, per the norm, on the CD is a lowly 5. I just ordered the vinyl which has a DR of 11: this one deserves it!

I always enjoy your insightful posts on music. I am one to always review/understand in macro. I don't have the ability to explain as you do, the whys and what's that make an album great or good as you do.

My hat is off to you to you, well done.

MI0003989481.jpg

Robert Kulek / Simone Lamsma
Mendelssohn, Janácek, Schumann: Sonatas for Violin and Piano

Release Date
January 8, 2016
Duration

01:14:16
Genre

Classical
Styles

Chamber Music

I find no flaws in the playing or recording but honest, the presentation just seems to lay still. No vigor or energy, none that is contagious anyway.
Maybe it's just that I have not bonded with Mendelssohn. I can't say. All I know is that I was disappointed in my first delivery of 2016 pre-order.

All music has not rated it.
I give it 2 stars.

MI0003997516.jpg

Andrés Orozco-Estrada / hr_Sinfonieorchester (Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra)
Igor Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring; The Firebird (Suite 1919)

Release Date
February 12, 2016
Genre

Classical
Styles

Ballet

Just wonderful, a truly terrific experience. I have never heard Spring so determined to recapture the land!

The Firebird, of the magical realm of Koschei the Immortal, soars here when set free by Prince Ivan. You can just feel it.

The sound is audiophile quality which serves to enhance the performance.

This is a winner.

All Music has not rated it yet.

I give it 5 stars, very very rare for me.

BTW, I am just loving this label, PENTATONE.

David Bowie
Blackstar

Release Date
January 8, 2016
Duration
Genre
Pop/Rock
Styles

I give it 4 1/2.

I bought the digital to check out. And ya... he was a real artist. "Death? I can use this..." Truthfully he hasn't sounded this convincing & inspired for a few albums. When you look at all of the circumstances around the release, including his death - I can't help but think that he tried to plan as much as he could, for the ultimate artistic statement.

I agree with PW, one of the greatest "last kick at the can" albums in a while - at least since Johnny Cash.

005079810_500.jpg
brutalmoka.jpg
K7328.jpg

a0196039542_10.jpg

Massive Attack - Ritual Spirit
Moka Only - Brutal
Tricky - Skilled Mechanics
Adrian Younge - Something About April II

MI0003997513.jpg

Gustavo Núñez / Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Vivaldi: Bassoon Concertos

Release Date
February 12, 2016
Genre

Classical
Styles

Concerto

Yet another stellar recording due out in two weeks.
If you were waiting in anticipation for a Vivaldi bassoon recording, this is a winner.
For me, although I recognize it's excellence, it's a bit limited in texture.
Still though, it's a welcome addition to any classical collection.
All Music has not yet rated it, I give it a very solid 3 1/2 stars.

what can you tell me about this?

your impressions?

Its only an EP, 4 tracks. They are supposed to be dropping an album this year. Its awesome with an upbeat vibe. They collaborated with other artists for these tracks. If you like MA its a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom