MI0004131057.jpg

Leila Josefowicz / David Robertson / Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
John Adams: Scheherazade.2

3 1/2 / 5

My favorite releases this year...

The Similitude of a Dream - The Neal Morse Band
Sorceress - Opeth
Origins Vol.1 - Ace Frehley
Last of the Teenage Idols (box set) - Alex Harvey / The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Any Way You Love, We Know How You Feel - Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Blackstar - David Bowie
Beautiful Broken - Heart
Hollow Bones - Rival Sons
Santana IV - Santana

Calling the new Stones blues album "new" is kind of a stretch, but I picked up the digital version. Will likely get the overpriced 45rpm double album just because. Oh yeah, Mick sounds great.

j1523_stones_packshot-digital-4000x4000-layered-f23ca9df-dee7-4b99-a7d4-a18b920f3501.jpg
Hey Ken, What about Keef???

Solid and reliable, as always. I hear lots of Ronnie's tone. In a good way.
Thanks I have high hopes for this project & have often wished they had gone full on blues instead of releasing middling rock albums. Hopefully Santa sees his way clear to drop one off for Christmas.

Thanks I have high hopes for this project & have often wished they had gone full on blues instead of releasing middling rock albums. Hopefully Santa sees his way clear to drop one off for Christmas.

Clapton is also on this in a few places. Most songs were done in just a few takes with no overdubs, live in the studio style (much like Some Girls). It's no audiophile masterpiece and is intentionally overdriven, hot, and trebly like an old blues album. I suspect Santa will throw the LP next to my stocking. I've been a good boy this year.

MI0004139937.jpg

Galilei Consort / Benjamin Chenier
Giovanni Rovetta: Messe pour la Naissance de Louis XIV

3/5

"With “Ashes” on the stereo and with eyes closed memory fragments, glowing emotions and pure dreams fly through your soul."

Hope the album is as good as the hype line.

Albert af Ekenstam ~ Ashes

albert-af-ekenstam.jpg

Sean Foran ~ Frame of Reference

Reminiscent of Lyle Mays or Aaron Parks stuff, with a feeling of ECM light.

“The music is more chamber based that my trio material, and also more textural. The saxophone, guitar, and cello complement each other in a really interesting way and open the music up to so many possibilities for melodic and harmonic interactions. Most of all, there’s space for everyone to improvise… it feels very open and melodic…I think there’s a sense of optimism in the music, a sense of calm”, Foran notes. “Recording it was actually quite relaxed…it was the first time we were all playing the tunes, but there was a strong sense of cohesiveness that really comes across in the music."

Sounds from Foran’s love of minimalist composers including Steve Reich, Phillip Glass and modern jazz masters such as Pat Metheny are evident in the music. Rhythmic and hypnotic, but always with a clear melodic focus.

foran.jpg

Back
Top Bottom