New Sangean HD Tuner On Amazon

musichal

poet emeritus
Looks interesting. I don't recall having seen tuners from Sangean in the past, though I do own one of their stereo radios, the PR-D5, which does a nice job. However one feels about SQ of HD, it does sometimes offer nice programming alternatives to the main analog transmission. And the tuner comes with a remote control. Oddly, the current copy on Amazon claims it has bass and treble controls... maybe so, since they are more accustomed to producing radios v tuners. Model no. is HDT-20. Seems to have dual alarms and a sleep timer - supposed to leave amp on for alarms? IDK. To be released 8-19; a couple weeks. Priced at $199.

Looks to be regular component width (Amazon says 19+ inches but that will be the size of the box); low profile, which I like. I may try one for my bedroom, where I need remote control that comes with the unit, Yamaha. But no decisions yet on that front. New tuners are getting rare, and I thought some of you might be interested in knowing about a product like this from Sangean.

Thanks for passing this along. Hopefully someone will review it when it comes out. I wasn't able to find any tuner specs in the marketing materials.

Most new tuners and receivers have no meaningful rf specs. Sangean makes good radios and they did make an HD tuner for awhile. I am glad they are coming out with a new one. I will wait for a review.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks fairly similar to their earlier HD tuner but I like that big tuning knob.

Sangean makes a good tuner, but sound quality out of them is a weakness. They tend to be geared towards "Communications grade and Talk Radio" than HiFi.

I had the original version for a while. Worked ok, needed a pretty substantial antenna to pull hd reliably ( I run an outdoor antenna for fm so no biggie.

FWIW - and I'm probably just doing it wrong - I can no longer bring up this item on Amazon.

s.

Sangean makes a good tuner, but sound quality out of them is a weakness. They tend to be geared towards "Communications grade and Talk Radio" than HiFi.

It's a tuner, so I don't imagine SQ will be an issue if the signal processing is up to snuff.

I had the original version for a while. Worked ok, needed a pretty substantial antenna to pull hd reliably ( I run an outdoor antenna for fm so no biggie.

Any HD Radio needs a good antenna - just the nature of the animal, as it doesn't carry as far as standard analog FM. That said, I'm able to pull in my favorite low watt college station here 20+ miles away over a major metro using an Antenna Craft FM6 yagi ...

PS ... back when I was in the market, only decent "available" tuner was the Sony, and those were pricey due to limited availability. No worries ... I found a nice Sony auto head that does the job nicely, even if it is a bit gaudy.

hd-radio-wgvu.jpg

Good to see some life in the tech ... I'm a fan, but a lot depends on what you've got available in the local market I guess.

I inclined to give it a try. At least it will be something interesting to test and measure. It might offer some tinkering possibilities too.

I certainly wouldn't want it, if all the settings and memory presets are quickly cleared from power outages.

Then stay away from the well-regarded Sony XDR-F1HD if one comes available. The Sony loses all your presets with a power outage. It still drives me nuts after several years. A modification for the Sony exists to add power backup, so I suspect doing the same for the Sangean (given the case size) wouldn't be too hard. I added a small cooling fan to my Sony, but haven't really wanted to do the power mod.

I wonder how many people will buy this not understanding the HD concept of the FM signal. And there are not a lot of sub channels around unless you're in a big city. I can't pick up one digital signal in my area. Would probably make a pretty decent tuner with the remote though. I have couple portable Sangean radios and they are excellent

Supposedly it has digital output, if the sound quality of the unit isn't great I wonder if digital into a good DAC would be the way to go.

FWIW I run my Sony through a tube buffer, seems to mellow out the sound a bit.
In Boston we have some great HD channels, likely not the case in "Podunk".

Back
Top Bottom