New Sansui database

Morden2004

Relaxin'
I must have too much time on my hands :p:

I have been frustrated by the ugly mess that Sansui created when they used the 'dart-toss' technique to pick the next model number(s) for new products.

All those out there who agree, say "RIGHT". <yikes, what a racket>

With apologies to several others who went before me, I have collected together a mess of Sansui model data and cobbled together a prototype Sansui Models database. It's basic, it's crude but its running.

I have created a sample report from this database and I'll upload it shortly, or if you're in a hurry, you can just go to
[http://www.clarkeworks.com/Clarkeworks_Sansui.html]

The database has about 280+ Sansui products listed and many have the most recent eBay sale price and date.

If anyone thinks this is worthwhile, I'll need either;

1) Significant encouragement (I like Vodka), and/or
2) Others who have some computing background and have; a Windows-based system, Office 2000 (or XP) Pro and experience with MS Access.

The database is currently MS AccessXP (or 2000) but I can port it to a SQL database. We would have to find a home if we want it on-line so that everyone can access and update it. I don't really want to run it from my web site due to upload/download limitations with my ISP.

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul:

I applaud your effort to come up with the Sansui database you have in mind and have begun creating. I have also wanted to do the same thing, and not just with Sansui hi fi models, but also to contruct a computerized database pertaining to all my hi fi magzines, stereo buying guides etc.... Actually, someone already has put together a hi fi mag database, I believe his name is Roger Russel, he had moved his site to a new address recently but I have the link for it somewhere in my computer (or anyone can just do a Google search on his name, and it should come up, that is if I spelled it correctly based on whether its one or two s's and l's). His site is a good guideline to follow and I have also been wondering which would be the best database to use for such a project, Access? or maybe Excel, or perhaps FileMaker Pro? I have also heard that Easy Office (which is a free download) is said to be a much more intuitive program suite to use than Microsoft's Office.

As for the Sansui database - Have you checked with AK member, wjahn5? I have a xerox copy of the database he sent me- its a very similar layout to that used in the 'ol Audio magazine October Directory issues. His database spans the time period of 1970-to about '84 or '85.

The other thing is, are you interested in having a database for serial #'s as well? I have already begun that process with the Sansui models I own and it was posted in the Database section of Dave Compton's Yahoo Sansui Group. Unfortunately, due to some disagreements with Dave, I am no longer a member of his Group, so I am unable to access his site anymore (unless I wanted to reregister under another name which I have no interest in doing). I believe the s/n database that I suggested he create is still there, so you can have a look if you are so inclined. Since that time, I have bought & sold a few more Sansui models, so that d-base is in need of some updating.

If you might require a site to host your database, I suggest that you contact Isao who hosts the site www.sansui.us , or being that Isao and I are very good friends, I can contact him on your behalf. As Ive mentioned before here on AK, Isao and I, as well as AK member Sten, are working together to expand the sansui.us site to make it even bigger and better. Isao plans to visit his home country of Japan next year and there's a very good possibilty that he will personally meet with several Sansui ex-managers that he has been in recent email contact with. So for anyone who wants to get the best inside Info on Sansui, I hereby recommend www.sansui.us as THE place to go :)

I realize its alot of work to create and maintain the database. I did look over some of your stuff- if you havent seen wjahn's database you might want to, or check with me, there were numerous errors in your list regarding the dates of manufacture (example- AU-317 is not 73-74, AU-3900 is not 77-79 and there are quite alot more like that)As I said, I realize its alot of Work, but I think its better to take it more slowly and thus be more accurate rather than to go too fast and make mistakes.

Sincerely,

B/F

We may be able to host it here on AK if there is enough interest in it.

Grumpy

Sansui Database update

I have printed your message, BeatleFred, and I will prepare some thoughts shortly. It requires some serious coffee time to work up a reply.

Grumpy, it may well be a good idea to host this database on AK as that will give it proper exposure. As I stated earlier, I could do it but I would likely get shutdown for exceeding my Gbytes limits! I think we could at least try it on AK and see how everyone likes the service.

And Reel 2 Reel ... guess what? The database already HAS pictures in it! Well, at least I developed it to include pictures and there is a couple there already.

So, fellow Audiophiles/Equipmentphiles, there is a lot of work to do to get this embryonic database to a point where it will benefit all users. However, we may well have a nucleus of people here and elsewhere to make it happen.

I have also had interest from other Sansui'ites on another "board" and as I told him, this is a public offering I am working on. I don't intend to claim any ownership because this is a hobby for me and most of you, I expect. I gathered the initial data from all over the web and so it really is a composite of many other people's work - and for that I am grateful.

Paul

PS: For any readers who missed the intial thread, I have a sample Sansui database running - and there are reports available at

http://www.clarkeworks.com/Clarkeworks_Sansui.html

B/F:

I developed the prototype Sansui database in Microsoft Access simply because I’m an expert developer in Access/SQL. Therefore, it was automatic. However, that does not mean it can’t be switched to some other product if that make functional sense.

Next, it is really embryonic at this stage. I have simply cobbled together basic product data using the efforts of several who went before me. I did not perform any sort of requirements analysis nor data analysis before I started. I just jumped in feet first out of need. Initially, I used other people’s Sansui data while I was researching my first Sansui purchases on eBay. It was frustrating. Hence, my decision to merge all that data into one repository.

I have not been in contact with wjahn5 as I didn’t know he had Sansui data. If he’s here and reading this thread perhaps he’ll contact me.

As for serial #’s – well I’m intrigued by how Sansui seems to have had a policy of “no policy” regarding the creation of both model numbers and serial numbers. I have been gathering sample serial numbers just so I could analyze them to see what coding may lie therein. The database has a “serial #” element that allows me to store one (1) sample number per model. However, I can easily add a new data structure (probably 2 additional tables) to save serial numbers. If we do this, what data would we collect? Who owns the equipment? Dates? Etc.? I did look on Dave’s Sansui Group site and did copy the serial number database. It gave me some of my insight into Sansui data.

As you probably have seen already, Grumpy has proposed the possibility of hosting the (new) database on AK. I think that is a good idea. In fact, I think it should go beyond Sansui and be used by members to store all audio equipment data so that everyone’s favourite poison is there!

I am familiar with www.sansui.us as well as I visit there often. I don’t know Isao but I’m open to any thoughts as to placement of an on-line version of this database. In fact, why not two or three? On some sites, like www.sansui.us it may well be loaded only with Sansui data whereas here on AK it could be all manufacturers.

As to your comments about ERRORS – what errors? I don’t got no stinkin’ errors! Maybe it’s your computer. Dirty screen? Faulty wiring? Ground loops?

:p:

Hope I covered everything. I am willing to work on on this project but I definitely would like assistance. I can create a lot of the programming components – and others can do so as well – but hosting the database, updating it and the maintenance is beyond my capability and interests.

Paul

Hi Paul:

I'm not sure what you feel could be better regarding how Sansui shouldve named their model #'s, do you think other audio companies had a better system?

As for the serial #'s, my interest in them is to establish when the earliest and latest times were that any particular model was made. I recall seeing an AU-X1 that was from December 1978 on Ebay and I was surprised by that because I didnt think there were any made before '79. So, I am curious to know about some other Sansui models, if I might come across any more little surprises, for example, if there were any BA-5000's or 9090DB's made in 1978. They might be listed in a 1978 Stereo Buyers Guide, but the guide couldve been published in the latter part of '77, so I'd like to officially see the proof on an actual Sansui unit via its serial # in the back.

As for the s/n code itself, its nothing that complicated, simply look at the 3rd-5th digits to determine its Year/Month, as Ive mentioned quite a few times before here on AK.

Here's an AU-717 from November 1978 for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3055953053&category=3284

B/F

Sansui prices falling!

The Sansui database is now up to 346 units. Also, I have updated the database with the latest eBay sales and we now have 115 Sansui items with a "last sale" price.

Overall, the average final price for Sansui sales on eBay went down this week for most models.

The database is still not on-line to users but all the data is dumped into reports on a weekly basis. Reports were produced just a few minutes ago.

These reports can be accessed at http://www.clarkeworks.com/Clarkeworks_Sansui.html

Hope these reports are useful to Sansui fans. It does take a fair bit of time to gather and update the data. I'm hoping that someone will offer to host the database (AK?) so that we can get it on-line for users to update as changes are happening.

Paul

You supply the completed data base and we will host it on AK.

Grumpy

That's great. Can you run MS Access 2000 or XP? Or can I dump it into some other format for you?

PM me with details of where to FTP it and I'll give you a copy.

Paul

This is a pretty cool concept. I have auction data on a selection of products that I was interested in on ebay dating back to at least July 2001 in Excel (there's a total of over 5160 auctions in there right now). I'd be happy to share the Sansui stuff from it if you'd like - PM me.

Heck, I'd probably like to get a copy of the DB itself as well...would that be possible?

New Improved Sansui Database

Update:

I have been made an offer to host the Sansui database here at AK. I'm happy to do so. I'm just waiting for details about how and what we'll do with it.

In the meantime, I have done some more development on it as per some suggestions from AK members.

First, I have expanded the data structure to include SERIAL NUMBERS as a relational table and EBAY SALES as a relational table. What this means is that we can now store HISTORY of both serial numbers and eBay sales.

In fact, I have entered some serial numbers and eBay sales as history and modified one report (the Sansui - All Products (see link below)) to show sales history and the Lo-Hi prices obtained thru eBay sales.

Next, I'll prepare a Serial Number report for those interested in tracking serial numbers.

Continue to enjoy the reports in the meantime at http://www.clarkeworks.com/Clarkeworks_Sansui.html while we figure out how to make this database available to everyone on-line here at AK.

Paul

B/F

Thanks, I now have that s/n in.

I watch each eBay item I enter to see if either they have mentioned the s/n or if I can see it in the pics.

Slowly we're getting the job done.

Paul

Who wants Sansui data?

I am prepared to make available the Sansui database as an Excel spreadsheet output. I can also make it available as a CSV format file.

If there is enough interest, I'll get busy on that too!

You would be able to download it from my server.

Paul

Anyone using the Sansui database?

Just curious? Is anyone using the Sansui database? If so, do you find the data useful?

Still a lot of work to do before it is really a great resource but it's getting better (bigger). We're up to 353 Sansui models and 237 eBay price records.

Paul

PS: Almost forgot - you can now download the whole Sansui database as an Excel spreadsheet. Just head on over to http://www.clarkeworks.com/Clarkeworks_Sansui.html and look for the link.

Last edited:
Latest Additions - eBay Sales 12-Nov-03:

Model Last eBay Sale Price
1000 $52.00
2000 $10.50
2000 $33.50
2000 $15.50
2000A $45.99
210 $15.05
7070 $125.00
AU-4900 $36.00
AU-717 $200.00