New Sansui tuner in the house

PhotonDon

BeatleFred's adventures in Sansui land have worn me down and I have joined the club. Scored a TU 919 last week, perfect faceplate, all lamps glow, and Lord have mercy, that beautiful ivory dial face!

When tuned to the lower end of the dial (100.0 on down) it does not want to easily tune to a station, the tuning needle wanting to jump back and forth. I can only fine tune with a good deal of effort. Also there is a bit of noise when I travel up and down the dial (again, only in the lower half of the spectrum). Off it goes to Mike Zaccaro in SanDiego for some TLC.

Sonically, it is nearly identical to the Yammie T2, with good bass and great mids. The Marantz 10B still has the upper hand for long term and classical listenin'.

Happy listening and Happy holidays, everybody.

Don

Congratulations on the TU-919! I'm sure once Mike checks it out and probably gives it an alignment, it should be 100%. Please let us know when you get it back, how it performs.

Regards, B/F.

Thanks, B/F

I guess now the obvious question is what is the integrated amp that mated with this tuner?

Don

Zowie!
First, Lefty scores a TU-X1, now P'Don gets a TU-917!

The 917 matched up with the AU-717, 719, 819, & 919.
I s'pose y'all could throw in the AU-11000A & AU-20000, kinda overlapped models.
The CA-3000/BA-5000 or 3000 would be ideal partners, IYAM.

congrats,
pete

Yep, thats her. I had forgotten just how pretty these things are. Not much quality Sansui around these parts.
Oh, there is/was one. A guy who worked with me tried to sell me his G22000 for $100. Didn't have a place for it, so I passed. I was an audio snob at the time and didn't know what he had. D'OH!
Don, livin' and learnin'

Hi Don:

The matching amp to the TU-919 is very simply the AU-919. (Just like the amp for the TU-717 is the AU-717 and amp for the TU-719 is the AU-719 and the amp for the TU-X1 is the AU-X1- to name a few examples). However, ANY amp can be used with the tuner, there's no absolute rule that says you must use the matching amp. But if you want to get what closely matches and cant find an available AU-919, something like the AU-717 would be an excellent choice.

Roughly what does Zaccaro get for going through a tuner?

I've got a couple of amps I'm looking to try him out. I haven't used him before.

I've heard he's reasonable, but from the sound of a couple posts on the fmtuners list, he is backed up with jobs. He sure seems to be "the man" for repairing/restoring tuners.

pete

Back
Top Bottom