New Schiit Bifrost Multibit!

Infinity!

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about this yet. The Bifrost now has the option of being a multibit DAC rather than the traditional delta-sigma configuration. I'm gona be ordering one here within the next two weeks for my birthday. This will be my first DAC ever. I'm so excited! :banana:

Here is a link for more info on the new Multibit upgrade:

http://schiit.com/products/bifrost-multibit

Odd... You would think they would email their customer base. Sounds interesting - would like to see some reviews prior to purchase.

That's quite interesting. I may very well go ahead and try that option, but I'll wait and let a few waves of reviews hit the web before I jump.

I was hoping that any upgrades for the Bifrost would be DIY-ready. I'd love to have the option of switching back if it isn't my cuppa without re-shipping, etc.

Last edited:
It is pretty amazing what they are offering - I've owned this DAC for 3 1/2 years and now have the opportunity to basically upgrade it to an all new multibit DAC.
As RuralTom suggested, I will wait until a few user reviews are in..

I remember being skeptical when the "upgradable" BiFrost came out that there would ever be any substantial upgrades, I'd seen other manufacturers do this only to see the upgrades never materialize. Kudos to Schiit, this is the third upgrade in 5 years IIRC.

I remember being skeptical when the "upgradable" BiFrost came out that there would ever be any substantial upgrades, I'd seen other manufacturers do this only to see the upgrades never materialize. Kudos to Schiit, this is the third upgrade in 5 years IIRC.

+1. I expected minor upgrades and enhancements like "audiophile capacitor upgrades" or "enhanced power supply." Certain;y didn't expect the equivalent of an engine swap out.

It's nice to see a component that not only punches above its weight grade but allows the owner to pick and choose optional upgrades - incrementally - with the possibility of improved performance.

Very cool!

I am seriously considering upgrading my Bifrost Uber to multi-bit, the only thing holding me back is $$$ at this point. Thanks to Schiit for making good on their promise to bring out meaningful upgrades to their products. :music: If what people are saying on the head-fi is true, Schiit's multi-bit upgrades take their DACs to another level of sq.

Just got mine (Bifrost Multibit). It's an excellent DAC. I've only begun listening to it, but the SQ is stunning at the price level. It's too soon to have "long term" listening observations, but the initial impression is very positive. I'm particularly struck by the dynamics, air and "body" imparted to the instruments. Soundstage depth is deeper while pushing forward images more forward, but without increasing brightness or "edge" - more "live" and more natural. Very pleased so far :)

I'm still liking the Bifrost Multibit really REALLY well. One finding that is interesting is that placing my iFi iUSB between my computer and the Bifrost actually degrades the sound a bit. My previous DAC (still using as my ADC) was USB powered, so the iUSB made it sound better. The opposite effect seems to be true with the Bifrost MB. I don't know why this would be, but since the Bifrost is not USB powered I guess the benefit of the iUSB power supply is a moot point? Perhaps the additional set of connectors and a second USB cable in the path is not helping things either? Regardless, my experience is that the Bifrost MB sounds a bit better without the iUSB in the pathway. What exactly do I hear as a difference? The most noticeable degradation is in the Bass, which becomes a bit muddy and less defined when the iUSB is inserted. There is also a softening of the high frequencies (and not in a good way) that tends to "blur" transients and attack envelopes. Overall that reduces instrument separation, "air" and soundstage depth. Please Note that these effects are VERY subtle, but nonetheless they are audible.

I can say that, now that I've spent additional time with the Bifrost and allowed it to burn-in a bit, this DAC brings me far closer to the analog experience than any other DAC that I have used in my system. LP's that I have recorded digitally are now virtually indistinguishable from the vinyl playback experience. Initially, the Bifrost had an almost aggressive character, but that went away within about the first 30 minutes of use. Initially the Bass was also a bit congested sounding, but this is steadily improving and it is now at a point that is at least as good (a bit better actually) as the Bass depth and definition I was getting previously. The "believability" of the Bass is better than I've heard in my system (from digital) previously. As I have left it powered up over the weekend, its has settled into a very clear and detailed yet still warm and lifelike sound that is (to me) amazing for a piece of gear at this price point. My previous experience with digital has been you either get more detail or more warmth (mutually exclusive traits). The Bifrost MB however improved the detail AND imparted a greater sense of musical warmth. Also, the dynamic "drive" coming from the Bifrost is a surprising improvement and one that I did not expect. This imparts a sense of impact and "body" to instruments that I did not imagine was possible with a sub $1000 DAC. I wish I had a previous Bifrost Uber so that I could try to ferret out how much of this is the analog section vs. the digital wizardry. But, I've never heard the previous version. All I know is that I am very happy with the Bifrost MB and I won't be sending it back (15 day trial). If your looking for a DAC in the sub $1000 range, you would do well to give this one a listen.

Thanks for the nice review... I also wish you had a Bifrost Uber for comparison purposes...

Anyone else out there have enough time in between the Uber and MB for comparative differences?

Thanks!

Thanks for the nice review... I also wish you had a Bifrost Uber for comparison purposes...

Anyone else out there have enough time in between the Uber and MB for comparative differences?

Thanks!

I had the Uber and upgraded to the MB. I never really liked the Uber though. It was too soft with attacks sounding fuzzy. The MB is very different. No fuzziness. The bass and mids are excellent. The highs are very clean but a little sterile. I would definitely recommend upgrading.

I had the Uber and upgraded to the MB. I never really liked the Uber though. It was too soft with attacks sounding fuzzy. The MB is very different. No fuzziness. The bass and mids are excellent. The highs are very clean but a little sterile. I would definitely recommend upgrading.
Thanks for the context!

Well, now that my Bifrost (multi bit) is well broken in, I have to backtrack on my comment about it sounding worse with the iUSB. Now the iUSB sounds great with the Bifrost MB as it expands soundstage depth, makes the highs softer and more airy and tightens up the bass ever so slightly.

As batriq says, the Bifrost MB high end can be a bit sterile sounding. The iUSB seems to make most (if not all) of that go away. Also, there is a distinct difference in the sound of strings, cymbals, brass, etc. between 16/44.1 files and 24/96 files. With 24/96 the Bifrost MB is very very good. With 16/44.1 the highs have a slight dry or sterile character - but still better than my previous DAC.

Dry might be another word to describe it - when using the DAC straight out of the computer with no filtering. Now that I have the iUSB in the circuit the highs have warmed up and smoothed out nicely. Plus with hi-res files the high end is very much like my analog rig … so no complaints. This DAC is very resolving and you can hear differences in USB cables, differences in digital files and recording quality very readily. Sterile and or harsh recordings sound dry, but warm and sweet recordings sound warm and sweet. My well recorded hi-res files sound amazingly good, and my 24/96 digital recording off of my TT sound virtually identical to the live TT feed. Big soundstage, solid base and mid-range body and drive along with sweet extended and airy highs. My take on all this is that the Bifrost MB seems to be pretty accurate in its deciphering of the digits being fed to it. What goes in comes out pretty faithfully and accurately. But, don't expect it to "round off" or artificially "warm up" lesser recordings. Don't get me wrong via the "sterile" comment - as I am very impressed with this DAC.

Thanks!
I had a Bifrost Uber for 5 weeks before I had it upgraded to Multibit. I had mixed feelings about the Uber. On Hirez material it was outstanding, less so on Redbook resolution. Bad sounding recordings were almost unlistenable. It seemed to emphasize everything that was bad in the recording, especially highs that were too hot. The Multibit sounds nothing like the Uber.

Overall the Multibit sounds much more refined than the Uber. The Multibit has incredible detail without being analytical. Instruments occupy a very specific place in the soundstage. Even the most complex musical passages are easily unraveled. I think that the upgrade to the Multibit version is entirely worthwhile.

The Audiocircle thread that was linked in a past post has a lot of good information and there are some comparisons between the Uber and the Multibit.

-Dave

I had a Bifrost Uber for 5 weeks before I had it upgraded to Multibit. I had mixed feelings about the Uber. On Hirez material it was outstanding, less so on Redbook resolution. Bad sounding recordings were almost unlistenable. It seemed to emphasize everything that was bad in the recording, especially highs that were too hot. The Multibit sounds nothing like the Uber.

Overall the Multibit sounds much more refined than the Uber. The Multibit has incredible detail without being analytical. Instruments occupy a very specific place in the soundstage. Even the most complex musical passages are easily unraveled. I think that the upgrade to the Multibit version is entirely worthwhile.

The Audiocircle thread that was linked in a past post has a lot of good information and there are some comparisons between the Uber and the Multibit.

-Dave
Thanks for the info! I will definitely consider this for my next audio upgrade (right now I am recovering from a cart upgrade - oof!)

- DeeCee

Back
Top Bottom