New Schiit preamps and power amp!

Wow, how can they do it at those prices, is this stuff made in the US?

A $350 pre amp with relay-switched stepped attenuators instead of the cheaper IC stuff. A sub $1000 amplifier that doubles its wattage at 4 ohms, and has no caps in the signal path. Upgraded parts all around, this is seriously impressive. I used to buy Emotiva products, and they did nothing like this with their entry level pre amps and amps, and made it all in China. If Schiit is doing this plus having tubes and making it all in the US, that's head and shoulders above what Emotiva is doing even now.

From what I have read about the only thing Schiit imports are the wall warts. Other than that seems everything is US based, which to me is really impressive. If you look around on their website you will find a link to a history/philosophy of the company. It is really neat read with some humor.

Wow, that IS impressive. And any schiit customer who's posted in this forum has had really good things to say about them. I can see I'll have to try one of their components. I'm thinking DAC...

I am really excited about this too as I have been contemplating a second amp as a backup for my vintage amp. That they offer so much that is in my budget range. I have bought 3 products from them and in all cases was pleasantly surprised by how much the quality exceeded the price. The Modi Multibit in particular has been pretty amazing. Hope these additions are a great success.

What will be next? Speakers? :D

Hey
Yeah, thanks for posting this. I use their little passive preamplifier (sys) with a 5 watt amp that Opa 1 built a year or so back.
I'd also be interested in seeing reviews on these.
The remote was something the sys lacked. That and more inputs. I invisioned a larger sys at a slightly higher price. With the hybrid tube option I'm looking at the saga as something I'd like to try.for sure. Eric
I have the lil sys preamp to, its a nice little piece...

I guess they are not shipping in October. Those people are teasers. Good thing I don't have the money THIS month.

I guess they are not shipping in October. Those people are teasers. Good thing I don't have the money THIS month.
Those guys are funny. Said they "learned" lessons about announcing new products and release dates. I guess not. Would be hard for me to keep stuff like that under wraps too. I figured they would run late. Too many things can go wrong. There was an update on Head-Fi yesterday. Looks like next week. I'm ordering the Saga and the Modi Multibit.

And Saga is LIVE on the website!

Yay!

I am wondering do I want a Saga or a Freya?

I wonder what the remote feels like.

Why put the power switch on the back? Is it a way to reduce manufacturing costs? I would have been happy to pay another $10.00 for an easily accessible power switch. The more I think about stuff like this, the more I worry that it might end up being too much of a "budget" pre-amp. What other compromises were made?

Last edited:
Yay!

I am wondering do I want a Saga or a Freya?

I wonder what the remote feels like.

Why put the power switch on the back? Is it a way to reduce manufacturing costs? I would have been happy to pay another $10.00 for an easily accessible power switch. The more I think about stuff like this, the more I worry that it might end up being too much of a "budget" pre-amp. What other compromises were made?

The remote is a cheap credit card sized thing, but there have been rumblings on other forums from people who want something better. Maybe in the future Schiit will offer a nicer optional remote.

The power switch on the back thing is not about cost, but rather about running power leads past sensitive circuitry, and about space concerns. In order to have a front power switch without compromising sound quality, the PCB would have to be larger, and then it wouldn't fit in the case. At least that's what Jason Stoddard has said.

It seems to me that running power through a pc board is a cost saving measure as opposed to using wires.

Yes, keep the electrons flowing but away from sensitive electronics. That is easier accomplished by mounting the switch closer to the power supply. The more expensive way would be to use wires that would probably have to be hand soldered and then the switch mounted, again by hand, in the front of the casing.

That is an issue that seems obvious to my untrained eye. I wonder what other compromises were made to keep cost low.

Also, I would prefer something that I handle frequently have a nice feel to it. Like a nice wrench or knife. One of the main reasons I am interested in these pre amps is for the remote. I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a feeling remote. I wonder what the difference in cost would have been.

I believe I want one of the two pre amps but stuff like this gives me pause. I wonder if Schiit did any polling to figure out what people wanted and how much they would pay for it. Maybe I am in the minority.

Last edited:
It seems to me that running power through a pc board is a cost saving measure as opposed to using wires.

Yes, keep the electrons flowing but away from sensitive electronics. That is easier accomplished by mounting the switch closer to the power supply. The more expensive way would be to use wires that would probably have to be hand soldered and then the switch mounted, again by hand, in the front of the casing.

That is an issue that seems obvious to my untrained eye. I wonder what other compromises were made to keep cost low.

Also, I would prefer something that I handle frequently have a nice feel to it. Like a nice wrench or knife. One of the main reasons I am interested in these pre amps is for the remote. I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a feeling remote. I wonder what the difference in cost would have been.

I believe I want one of the two pre amps but stuff like this gives me pause. I wonder if Schiit did any polling to figure out what people wanted and how much they would pay for it. Maybe I am in the minority.

Actually Schiitt has a blog over at headfi. Jason is pretty active there. They take suggestions into account but do what they think is right. For example, customers kept saying make the gear in black. Well they did and liked to have never got it sold. Doing a poll is one thing, people actually buying is another. Not every person that submits a vote or whatever actually buys the product.

Yeah I am sure it is cost cutting measure but that's how they are able to manufacture in the US vs somewhere else. Sorry don't see where a power switch on the back is a big deal.

I've read a lot of Jason's posts on Headfi. I like him, no nonsense but he has a sense of humor. Some people seem to resent the fact that Schiit has a sense of humor. Like we are only supposed to talk about audio equipment in hushed reverent whispers. If I hadn't just purchased a Tortuga Audio passive preamp I'd probably buy a Freya preamp. I might buy a Saga just to check it out.

Happy owner of a Bifrost Multibit.
-Dave

I've read a lot of Jason's posts on Headfi. I like him, no nonsense but he has a sense of humor. Some people seem to resent the fact that Schiit has a sense of humor. Like we are only supposed to talk about audio equipment in hushed reverent whispers. If I hadn't just purchased a Tortuga Audio passive preamp I'd probably buy a Freya preamp. I might buy a Saga just to check it out.

Happy owner of a Bifrost Multibit.
-Dave

I was reading the Schiit story regularly every night. My respect for them grew as I read their story. Looking forward to owning some of their equipment in the near future.

Well, fwiw, stuff like the switch on the back is not something I want. But I can see why it might not matter to others.

This and several other factors (solid state vs. tube, integrated vs. separates, quality of components, getting an older amp repaired, even their name is a negative for me, in spite of the quality of their products, etc.) have taken me in a different direction. I have ruled out buying a Schiit pre-amp and pushed the button on something else.

I am very glad to see the increasing amount of moderately priced audio gear becoming available. I hope these new products from Schiit are highly successful and believe there will be many happy listeners using Schiit gear.

Back
Top Bottom