New Schiit Saga - Passive preamp

I try to see it as a buffer. Any cheaper buffers there? Regarding the cabling, there has to be this "amount" of it with any buffer inserted, only thing that concerns me is the "pot" relay contact, how much loss it causes.

Sure, there are much cheaper tube buffers available. No idea if they're any good, and I'm suspicious of Amazon/headfi reviews - I suspect some of them involve placebo effect or other synergy that may or may not have anything to do with the tubes. You may find better information by searching here or other reliable forums.

Again, the Saga contains no pot. Run open, I don't think there should be any loss aside from what's imparted by the little bit of signal path.

I hate to say it's not "tubey" because it supports the (I think broken) idea of some universal "tube" sound - but it's isn't tubey. All of this is likely moot if you're looking for color, and I still don't think the transparent Saga is the tool for your application. If I'm in your situation, wanted tubes or to tweak, and was considering spending at least $400, there are a few different ways I'd go before this:
  • Upgraded source(s)
  • Tube source(s)
  • Depending on what's in your CDP, a good DAC, or a tube DAC
  • Any decent combination of separates for better flexibility. Yes it's passive, but we're still talking about spending $400 to run a preamp into a preamp here.
  • Saga and a power amp
  • Tube/SS, SS/Tube, Tube/Tube pre/power amps if you want tubes in your amplification*
My opinion only, for what it's worth: I've had and heard some great tube amps but can't stress enough that I think "tube sound" is mostly bogus as a concept, and what many people (not you necessarily) are after when they say that is coloration that could maybe be had from either Tube or SS components. You'll put a tube buffer in your path and hear something different, maybe fantastic, and it'll be a result of circuit, tubes, capacitance, maybe gain, cables, other "synergy" etc. You're hearing circuit design first, tubes second, and it's difficult to really A/B - you can't hear a Modulus with SS output, or an Adcom 555 with tubes.

I read that different tubes are better instead of the stock one, maybe that way the buffer use of the Saga in my scenario would be more justified ie give the desired results - a bit of warmth/pleasant sound coloration? I wouldn't do radical changes to get tube sound, I'd go only as far as what a tube buffer can do.
Can you describe the difference in sound within your system with Saga tube engaged vs disengaged (passive)? Which one you prefer/most listen to?

I read that different tubes are better instead of the stock one, maybe that way the buffer use of the Saga in my scenario would be more justified ie give the desired results - a bit of warmth/pleasant sound coloration? I wouldn't do radical changes to get tube sound, I'd go only as far as what a tube buffer can do.
Can you describe the difference in sound within your system with Saga tube engaged vs disengaged (passive)? Which one you prefer/most listen to?

Yes, I can, in the review at the beginning of this thread. :)

Oops, I see it now. Good explanatory review. If I understood well the Saga is not so tubey, just transparent in a good way, so I won't get the results I look for. Maybe getting an ifi itube2 would be a better choice for my goal to insert some more evident tubiness in my system? (owners, do chime in...)

BTW Can Saga work (passively of course) without the tube inserted? If yes, does it require power if the remote is not used?

Oops, I see it now. Good explanatory review. If I understood well the Saga is not so tubey, just transparent in a good way, so I won't get the results I look for. Maybe getting an ifi itube2 would be a better choice for my goal to insert some more evident tubiness in my system? (owners, do chime in...)

BTW Can Saga work (passively of course) without the tube inserted? If yes, does it require power if the remote is not used?

I haven't tried but think I saw elsewhere that it works without the tube. However, the tube is always powered, whether the buffer circuit is switched in or out. I wouldn't run mine that way just because the remaining electronics in the thing seem to expect a tube in whatever circuit. That, and you'd have a big hole on top.

Haven't tried running without power, but I don't expect that to work - it's muted when powered off.

I just recieved my Saga yesterday. I don't have a power amp so I plugged the Saga into my Marantz PM8004 integrated amp. The Marantz has a feature 'Power Amp Direct In'. I didn't know what to expect but wow, what a difference. The Marantz is voiced so much warmer than the Saga. Due to that warm voicing a bit of detail gets washed away. The Saga just blew me away with the precise sound staging and detail.

I also purchase a Sylvania 6SN7GTB. It arrived before I got the Saga. That is a very nice tube indeed.

Now I must search for a power amp. A Schiit Modi MultiBit is in my future as well.

IMG_0184.JPG
Passive or tube on?

I've run it both ways, tube buffered and passive. It's very detailed both ways. The tube inhances both the bass and highs and raises the volume sightly. Some reviewers said they can"t hear the difference between tube and no tube. To me the difference is audible. The tube adds a nice touch to the music and is addictive. Imaging is really solid and stable with or without tube buffering. I am totally in love with the Saga.

Not that the Marantz PM8004 (on its own) is a slouch. But the Marantz preamp is voiced to be warm and non-fatiguing. That warm voicing veils a bit of detail and blurs the imaging relative to the Saga.

For me the Saga sound is exciting.

Last edited:
the Marantz preamp is voiced to be warm and non-fatiguing.
So Saga is still warm but not as the Marantz, ie it has no veil but reveals more detail? Hope it's not on the cool side.

How you find the pot clicking - annoying or not really audible?
Having no gain what's the usual o'clock position you listen at?

Has anyone compared the Saga with ifi itube(2)?

So Saga is still warm but not as the Marantz, ie it has no veil but reveals more detail? Hope it's not on the cool side.

How you find the pot clicking - annoying or not really audible?
Having no gain what's the usual o'clock position you listen at?

Has anyone compared the Saga with ifi itube(2)?

I would not describe the Saga as warm or cool. Neutral is more accurate.

The volume clicks are audible but soft enough as to not be an issue.

Volume is more than adequate on my system. Volume will depend on the sensitivity of your amp, length of interconnects, output level of your sources. I can listen to my phono with plenty of volume without burying the volume control. On a scale of 7 oclock to 5 oclock the dial is usually set at 1 oclock.

I'm camping the Schiit website until I can find a black Saga to go with the Jotunheim. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the Jotunheim is, but I'd like to pop a Saga on top of it as well.

Yes, black is an option for the Saga, when it's available. Apparently most people prefer brushed aluminum.schiitemo.jpg

IMG_0212.JPG

I've had my Saga for almost a month. I have to say I really like it.

Here's my thoughts on tube rolling.

In the picture from left to right:

The Saga comes standard with a Russian 6H8C. It is a bland, non-offensive tube. It has little discernable effect on the sound vs passive mode.

The vintage Sylvania 6SN7GTB is a much nicer tube. I bought mine for $7 shipped! It's the common orange/red lable variety. It affects the sound by boosting the bass and the treble slightly. It gives the mid-range a nice 3d quality. Loudness is increased.

The new production Tung Sol 6SN7GTB is an even better tube. It does what the Sylvania does but the effect is stronger with the Tung Sol. I really like it. It's under $25 shipped.

That's it....Peace.

What's the purpose of having 5 inputs on the back? I expect 1 pair hooked up to the TT, but what would the other 4 be used for?

CD, DAC, Tuner, Tape...

So am I not realizing all the potential uses for this? I was thinking it was just a phono pre-amp. If it boosts a phono signal up to line-level, won't it over do (boost too much) a CD or Tapes signal which is already at line-level? Or is that what the volume control is for? And so having all those extra inputs adds some "color" or somehow enhances the sound of those other devices.

Reason I'm asking is I'm searching for a new phono preamp. Looking at the Pro-ject Tube Box S and Tube Box DS2 - both of which are more money than this one. I'm using a Technics SA-700 integrated receiver.

Back
Top Bottom