New Score! Victor Amp!

Kenwood Man

Kenwood Love'n Member
I don't think so as it has the old RCA logo. So I would assume that this is a amp related to RCA but who knows.

It's definitely a JVC. Victor Company Of Japan uses the old nipper logo and "Victor" brand name in their domestic market. They are licensed to use it even though they've been owned by Matsushita for many years.

That unit is a beauty. Very rare and probably expensive even today. The US market never saw units like this, which is a shame.

The matching synthesized digital tuner was incredibly advanced for 1975 and very expensive I'm sure.

I assume it's a 100 volt unit right?

ja-s20-h.jpg

ja-s20+jt-v20.jpg

Last edited:
That's another sweet looking amp! :thmbsp: I think I'd rather have the Trio 9300 in the other recent thread. DUAL torroidals! :yes: :smoke:

I only wish it came with the tuner! But hey you really cannot get any better than free. A friend of mine said: "well one of my buddies was going to through it away want it?" I was like heck yeah!! Anyway I wonder how it compares to my perreaux PMF-2150B and my Yamaha M-80 power amps. Only time will tell I guess, but it is one odd integrated! :)

The Perreaux is a rather exotic piece. However, the Victor is a rarity and well worth keeping IMO. Post pics of yours when you can!

Well I did a little more investigative work on this unit. It is indeed rated for 100 volts imput power and I posted some pictures. The nude picture is poor quality and I will take a better one this after noon. This had been sitting in someone's garage for some ungodly amount of time so it is filthy but besides that and missing one knob it looks quite nice! BTW anyone have any ideas for finding a replacement knob for it? Thanks for all the replies already!

615Image043.jpg

615Image041.jpg

ttyl,

There was a Victor amp on epay a few months back with VU meters, however the guy selling it didn't seem interested in parting with it for less than $100. I'm sure there are more oddities like this out there... Would be pretty cool if the VU meter amp was built like this on the inside.

Great photos!

It's a JVC.A Japan only product.
I bet it sounds awesome.You'll never see another one in your lifetime.

The Victor trademark was owned by several different companies worldwide, IIRC. JVC retained the tm in Japan, RCA in NA, and somebody else in the UK.

JVC is part of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.

I had a Victor cassette deck in 1971. It was one of the first "hi-fi" cassette decks that didn't cost an arm and a leg (pre-Dolby). I think RCA forced the issue about the tm, and JVC became a "brand".

Last edited:
Yep, that is a JVC for the Japanese home market. It should have a voltage selector plug by the transformer power supply board. I hope you are not running it on 120 while it is set to 100 volts.
This era of JVC product was very high end and featured a lot of designs we see many decades later in other electronics.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom