New Separates from Line Magnetic...

No they're different dealers. I'm running B&W PM1s. The AN dealer suggested the silver SPa cables as he felt they would be a better match for the LM tube amp. He also said I'd need about 50-100 hours of running on the SPa before they come around. He suggested both the SPa and SPe. I naturally went for the SPa since they were half the price of the SPes. I've managed to get about 10 hours on them so far and already they are sounding different from the first hour.

Don't get me wrong I think the suggestion makes a bit of sense because LM does make SET amplifiers after all - I run Spe cables and AN V interconnects with my LM 219IA and I get excellent bass and superb clarity in the mids - My Tara Labs interconnect was so bad in comparison I just threw the things in the trash. I have not heard the SPa so I can't comment.

I knew a B&W speaker owner in BC who had his B&W's internal wires completely replaced with AN silver and raved about them so it all makes sense - but from what I've heard it's usually the copper they recommend on non AN systems - perhaps they meant for SS systems. Hope the AN cables work out and of course if the future plan is an AN speaker then it makes even more sense.

I am still waiting for their EMT turntable remakes - presumably when they have the turntables they will have a phono stage.

I hope to do a three preamp shootout using the LM 219IA and the 503PA monoblocks on April 2nd. The preamps I am looking at are the 512CA, Rogue Audio Athena, and Melody Platinum Pre 101.

Been running the 518IA with the AN speaker cables for about a month now and thought i'd post some impressions. The only change in the interim was the removal of a Luxman phono cable (borrowed) and the insertion of an Audience Au24 SE cable (bought). Was already running the Au24SE interconnects from phonostage to amp.

This change, and the long and laborious process of running in the speaker cables (can't remember if i've hit 50h or not, lost count along the way) have resulted in a much fuller sound than a month ago. Soundstage is nicely wide (a good 3ft beyond the speakers) with much more realism in the music. Can feel the metalnass of hit cymbals and the fading (decay?) of the cymbal is fuller. It is possible now to 'hear' the texture of the reed when a saxaphone is playing. Of great significance is the reappearance of bass. The sound was rather thin and restricted to the mids & highs when i first switched to the AN speaker cables. I had to resist the temptation to mess with the set-up and, as the AN dealer promised, the sound has slowly become fuller, the consequence of which is the extension of the lower frequencies. Bass is clear, with electric and upright basses both sounding more 'right', while bass drums still sound a little thin, as if the drummer is playing with a pillow inside the bass cavity. I don't expect the bass definition to improve much more, but i see it more as a limitation of the speaker than the set-up. I had been tempted to roll the tubes in an attempt to produce a more bass-oriented sound, but am glad that i haven't messed with the tubes as yet. I still have a pair of Psvane 12AX7s gifted to me by the LM dealer, but will probably not put them on just yet.

The 22wpc 518IA really continues to impress me on a daily basis, and judging by the increasing frequency with which friends running Leben and Rogue Audio amps have been turning up to listen to it, I can safely say that there has been a marked improvement in the quality of sound being pushed out by the B&W PM1s in my living room.

Been running the 518IA with the AN speaker cables for about a month now and thought i'd post some impressions. The only change in the interim was the removal of a Luxman phono cable (borrowed) and the insertion of an Audience Au24 SE cable (bought). Was already running the Au24SE interconnects from phonostage to amp.

This change, and the long and laborious process of running in the speaker cables (can't remember if i've hit 50h or not, lost count along the way) have resulted in a much fuller sound than a month ago. Soundstage is nicely wide (a good 3ft beyond the speakers) with much more realism in the music. Can feel the metalnass of hit cymbals and the fading (decay?) of the cymbal is fuller. It is possible now to 'hear' the texture of the reed when a saxaphone is playing. Of great significance is the reappearance of bass. The sound was rather thin and restricted to the mids & highs when i first switched to the AN speaker cables. I had to resist the temptation to mess with the set-up and, as the AN dealer promised, the sound has slowly become fuller, the consequence of which is the extension of the lower frequencies. Bass is clear, with electric and upright basses both sounding more 'right', while bass drums still sound a little thin, as if the drummer is playing with a pillow inside the bass cavity. I don't expect the bass definition to improve much more, but i see it more as a limitation of the speaker than the set-up. I had been tempted to roll the tubes in an attempt to produce a more bass-oriented sound, but am glad that i haven't messed with the tubes as yet. I still have a pair of Psvane 12AX7s gifted to me by the LM dealer, but will probably not put them on just yet.

The 22wpc 518IA really continues to impress me on a daily basis, and judging by the increasing frequency with which friends running Leben and Rogue Audio amps have been turning up to listen to it, I can safely say that there has been a marked improvement in the quality of sound being pushed out by the B&W PM1s in my living room.

Congrats on your progress.

Regarding 12AX7 tubes, i found the Psvane 12AX7`s to sound a little thin but lively. My favorite 12AX7 tube in this amp is the 1962 Raytheon 12AX7`s http://www.nostubestore.com/2014/05/raytheon-jrp-12ax7-long-black-plates.html I have the grey plates and there is only a slight difference to me between the black and grey plates and the grey plates are about $60 cheaper per matched pair. I also changed the 6P3P driver tubes to EL34 Winged C tubes and that made a big difference in the bass department along with extended highs and more body in voices.

Anyway keep enjoying that fine amp.

Well ravashanks,
I now know you have good taste.
Your photo of the two amps shows the rack with the Lexicon gear at the bottom.
Is that an MV-8 pre and an amp?
I have the RV-8 receiver, which is the MV-8 with a 7 channel 140 watt continuous Crown amp. It might be the same as your gear but in one box. Or do you have the 200 watt amp?

Congrats on your progress.

Regarding 12AX7 tubes, i found the Psvane 12AX7`s to sound a little thin but lively. My favorite 12AX7 tube in this amp is the 1962 Raytheon 12AX7`s http://www.nostubestore.com/2014/05/raytheon-jrp-12ax7-long-black-plates.html I have the grey plates and there is only a slight difference to me between the black and grey plates and the grey plates are about $60 cheaper per matched pair. I also changed the 6P3P driver tubes to EL34 Winged C tubes and that made a big difference in the bass department along with extended highs and more body in voices.
Anyway keep enjoying that fine amp.

Thanks for the input on the 12AX7s and EL34s. Based on your descriptions, the Winged Cs are very appealing. I wonder how different they would be to KT88s, which i gather can also provide more oomph in the low end.

Well ravashanks,
I now know you have good taste.
Your photo of the two amps shows the rack with the Lexicon gear at the bottom.
Is that an MV-8 pre and an amp?
I have the RV-8 receiver, which is the MV-8 with a 7 channel 140 watt continuous Crown amp. It might be the same as your gear but in one box. Or do you have the 200 watt amp?

Thanks audiogon. The lexicon gear is on home theatre duty. Ive got an MC-12 HD pre-amp and a GX7 power amp. They produce glorious and fully immersive sound for cinema, but couldn't quite replicate that dynamism for music (LP & CD in my case). The LM518IA easily outshines the Lexicon combo for music playback, regardless of the format.

Personally i like the EL34 tubes over the 88`s, a little more detail and better on voices. The Winged C while a EL34 tube is a bit different than any other EL34 tube that i have heard, just more of what EL34`s are noted for, detail, voices and texture, hard to put into words. I feel they are a leap ahead of the stock 6P3P tubes. A lot of fake Winged C tubes for sale i bought mine from UpScale Audio they have the real deal and they are burned in for 72 hrs.

Personally i like the EL34 tubes over the 88`s, a little more detail and better on voices. The Winged C while a EL34 tube is a bit different than any other EL34 tube that i have heard, just more of what EL34`s are noted for, detail, voices and texture, hard to put into words. I feel they are a leap ahead of the stock 6P3P tubes. A lot of fake Winged C tubes for sale i bought mine from UpScale Audio they have the real deal and they are burned in for 72 hrs.

Agree with you, much prefer 34's over 88's.

Lucky me...I had a Cary V12 many years ago (6 tubes per channel). I bought 12 matched el34 Winged C's from Upscale for it but I never really liked the amp all that much as my tastes were growing toward 300b's and 2a3's. The guy that bought the amp didn't want the Winged C's so I put them away in a drawer and forgot about them.

Fast forward a few years and I fall hard for a Marantz 8b. It came from someone special and he included 4 Siemens with it. I'm using the C's now and with a stash of 8 back ups, I'm good for awhile :).

Agree with you, much prefer 34's over 88's.

Lucky me...I had a Cary V12 many years ago (6 tubes per channel). I bought 12 matched el34 Winged C's from Upscale for it but I never really liked the amp all that much as my tastes were growing toward 300b's and 2a3's. The guy that bought the amp didn't want the Winged C's so I put them away in a drawer and forgot about them.

Fast forward a few years and I fall hard for a Marantz 8b. It came from someone special and he included 4 Siemens with it. I'm using the C's now and with a stash of 8 back ups, I'm good for awhile :).

You are lucky to have all of those spares. Now that i know they work well with the 518 i plan on buying a spare pair.:yes:

Can someone help me. I am wondering whether both the 518 and the 219 have pre amp input to use a separate preamp? It appears they both might? I think the 502pa is way out of my price league.

according to this review you can use the 518 as a power amp as well http://www.wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/line-magnetic-518ia-integrated-amplifier/

The difference would only be that the 219IA is dual mono while the 518IA would operate as a stereo power amp.

The pre in though is nice in order to have future upgrade ability in stages and doesn't force you to sell the amp (and lose lots of money) to upgrade. I have 4 preamps on my radar now and it's coming down to features, price, and availability. No rush - the 219IA frankly is fine on its own - so fine that I might shelve the preamp upgrade for a few years.

It's kind of similar to comparing LCD TVs - you can see two in the store and one is better than the other - but costs 4 times the money. Sure directly head to head the expensive one looks better but once you get the cheaper one home it's probably just fine. I am looking at LED televisions at the moment hence the analogy. Granted I'm not nearly a videophile as audiophile. But man there seems to be a dizzying number of TV selections these days - just from single companies.

Thanks RGA. Will have a look.
Are you sure you don't want to wait till they standardise HDR in the new Uhd sets?

The LM 212 is absolutely beautiful! Would love to see an integrated with the same looks similar to the Dynaco SCA-35.

Thanks RGA. Will have a look.
Are you sure you don't want to wait till they standardise HDR in the new Uhd sets?

To be honest I am not in the loop AT ALL on televisions - I am forced to use one room for video and sound living in Hong Kong and I have shifted my room around such that my 37 inch Samsung is looking a bit small.

I purchased an inexpensive Marantz NR 1504 surround receiver (5.1) but my room really can't support more speakers than that anyway and being in HK space is a premium so it's nice that it is the same height as my LM 215 CD player.

I'm not really looking to pour money into the TV - There is a deal on a demo 60 inch TV here for the Sony 850B which for video games is said to be very good and mostly I use my laptop to screen and the odd movie. http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w850b

Reading this article on UHD as well as what the dealer here in HK had to say on it I am not really excited to pay the extra money for it. 4-5 times more money than the Sony 850B.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Appreciate some help folks. I've been enjoying my Line Magnetic 219IA with an Audio Note M3 pre amp. Loving it.

Please let me know though. If I use a preamp can I simply put in some cheaper 12AX7 tubes into the 219IA? Now I'm using PSVane 12AX7 tubes in the 219IA together with the AudioNote Preamp playing. Seems a waste of good tubes.

Appreciate some help folks. I've been enjoying my Line Magnetic 219IA with an Audio Note M3 pre amp. Loving it.

Please let me know though. If I use a preamp can I simply put in some cheaper 12AX7 tubes into the 219IA? Now I'm using PSVane 12AX7 tubes in the 219IA together with the AudioNote Preamp playing. Seems a waste of good tubes.
It does not matter if you use separate preamp or not. Audio signal still passes ALL tubes.

Let me know what improvements you hear as I have not been able to hear the M3/M6 with the 219IA as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom