New sheriff in town. Sony 7065

superdog

AK Member
Wow! is all I can say about this receiver.This surpassed a couple of my other other units in clarity and depth by far.Found this totl Sony at my favorite thrift for less than a Jackson.

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 216
Izzat case on backwards? The slats are towards the back on my 6055. Nice receivers, this series of Sony...

Izzat case on backwards? The slats are towards the back on my 6055. Nice receivers, this series of Sony...

You know I may have just noticed that I think this case is on backwards.I felt the front side edges and said why does it have a rough finish while the back side edges are smooth.I also noticed the slats were not open to ventilate anything underneath.This unit was covered with a thin layer of grime.From the feel of the controls this thing had probably not been used in twenty years.Just working them back and forth for quite a bit brought them back to quietness.The stereo light may be out also but everything else seems to be working correctly.Once a again I am really impressed with this unit.

I understand that electronics and values age differently and talking about unrestored units but this made a Marantz 2230 and Sansui 9090db sound dull and a tad muddy in comparison.I want to build an all Sony vintage system around this.

Nice 7065. I have a couple myself. They are well made and have amazing punch and warm 70's and detailed sound.

I have some Marantz receivers as well and I would say the Sony 7065 is as nice as the Marantz 2252B in many ways:thmbsp:

Nice looking unit.I like the understated elegance of these.I don't need meters and a ton of knobs.I would love to find some SS3300 from the late 60s to go with this.Pretty rare speakers though.

Almost 3 1/2 years later I finally got around to actually listening to this at length.After having the stereo light and tuner string replaced I have finished with this.Not even a deoxit.The controls were very stiff when I got this.Like I mentioned I don't think it was used for years.Just working them and actually adjusting them now has them just fine..Not one for words I have no real audiophile type descriptions,all I know is what I like.Phase700b may have said it best... punchy and detailed and depth and clarity.I have no regrets letting go of the units this pushed out.There were all good but to me this is better.Having been through about twenty five receivers this may rank as one of the best.This all with old caps.Perhaps one day I'll get it recapped.Now on to different speakers.Sorry for the inferior pics.Sometimes my phone takes really good pics and other times they come out like this.

Attachments

• 5.25.2018 052.jpg
    5.25.2018 052.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 5.25.2018 051.jpg
    5.25.2018 051.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 5.25.2018 050.jpg
    5.25.2018 050.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 45
Good, now you can enjoy a real vintage receiver. This line from Sony really had something seductive and went deep into music, with a very special sonore approach. Good auditions!

This series is still TOTALLY under the radar for some reason.
Even on e-Bay, they go for cheap.
Insanely well made, though a bit of a rats nest inside.
The Alps switches are almost military grade, the front faceplate milled out of thick solid aluminum.
I completely rebuilt a 7055, with all new caps, including filter caps.
It sounds fantastic, and it's now my daughter's daily driver.
Have a 7065a waiting for the same treatment.
Can't say enough good things about this line.
Super bargains, for quality of sound and build.

Listening to the progenitor of the series, the STR-6060FW, right now.

As mentioned, I think it would take a lot more than what these routinely go for on the devil's bay to better the sound quality. It's a slice of the high-end, perhaps more so than the typical Japanese vintage solid state stuff.

Also I feel these are getting more popular, it's only a matter of time before prices start going up as word has definitely gotten out. Though the lack of wall-shaking power keeps prices reasonable I think.

I've noticed in my forum sleuthing that you'll often see fans who have 3 STR-7065s or STR-6060FWs and no other receivers. I think that says a lot. Or collectors who have had 25+ receivers throughout the years who report that Sony STRs are their favorites. There's a definite cult following.

Early solid state prices are depressed in general, I think it's because speaker matching is difficult due to the lower power outputs. People with uber-efficient horn speakers with 15" woofers want tubes - people with low sensitivity speakers want at least 100 wpc. So the early solid state stuff with beautiful build quality and timeless design gets overlooked.

Last edited:
My very first brand new amplifier was a Sony TA-1150. Since then, there's been other integrateds and more recently a spate of power/pres.

I picked up the little guy of the family last year, a STR-6045 complete with wood case. It needed nothing except speaker fuses and re-setting the bias. Not my daily driver but it will be what goes with me to the extended care living facility - if I make it that far. Absolutely fabulous build quality and great sound.

A TA-2000 from the same era has been doing pre-amp duty since last fall. I am inclined to believe Sony set a standard back then for how to build mainstream consumer electronics.

That TA-2000 needed nothing either, no switch or control cleaning required. Residual noise is so slight, its not worth mentioning. Can't make those statements about other pieces that crossed my path - even the "good stuff"

The tactile feel of operating those old Sony's is complete joy.

Back
Top Bottom