New Sled and Shim for Dual 1019 - post your alignment knowledge here

bobins08

Celebrating Life
The thread on my 1019 acquisition is here for background: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/check-out-my-new-dual-1019-w-m75e-d19.759012/

I am starting a new thread to discuss alignment techniques and related set up information on the Dual 1019.

I have been reading up on the alignment of these tables and from what I gathered the VTA is optimized when the third record on a possible stack of 6 is reached. As such if one wished to play a single record at a time he could add a thicker mat or shim the cartridge to achieve a "better" VTA. Additionally, although the 1019v originally came with a stylus alignment tool, there is debate on what the alignment actually is. The Dual engineers were faced the stacking records and an alignment that works for various record sizes that one would have been faced with (7", 10: 12").

I bought this aftermarket Dual 1019 cartridge carrier (sled) from the big Auction Site. I also bought a shim that is designed to optimize VTA for single play (non stacking) set up.

IMG_4963.JPG IMG_4971.JPG IMG_4972.JPG IMG_4973.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG

I chose to mount up a Shure V15-II onto the new sled. I used the shim and mounting HW shown.

OK, I got lucky again and found a NIB NOS Shure VN15E stylus. :biggrin: I included some close ups of it.

I set the stylus tip 8mm from the front of the sled, which is where the M75E that came with the table was set to. To do this the V15-II is all the way forward in the slots.

I have been listening for 3 days and taking notes as the stylus breaks in. Having fun and loving the music. For the most part the tracking had been very good but I heard two tracking issues during complex music passages in the first few hours of listening. I increased the tracking force from 1.25 to 1.45 grams and replayed the same passages and viola! All is good.

Five hours are now on the stylus and no IGD or other issues. The VN15E started out sounding a bit stuffy and tight, I guess being in a box for 45 to 50 years will do that? After a few hours it started to open up. Right now it is blooming, the highs are much nicer and the soundstage is wider. I suspect it will continue to mellow for the first 20 hours.

So am interested in how others set up this table. I still need to cross check this alignment against my protractors to see what's up.

cheers, Bob

I have a Shure V15-lll / SAS on my 1019. VTF is 1.25g. Alignment is Baerwald, set of course using my own "elcoholic's mirrored protractor". No wedge or spacers and the mat is stock. Mostly single play and find no complaints.

I have a Shure V15-lll / SAS on my 1019. VTF is 1.25g. Alignment is Baerwald, set of course using my own "elcoholic's mirrored protractor". No wedge or spacers and the mat is stock. Mostly single play and find no complaints.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the M75E that came with my 1019 is not shimmed and it is a spring loaded sled.

Good to hear that the SAS works well with the 1019 arm!

Last edited:
As per our discussion on you other thread, that shim was made specifically for Shure V-15 cartridges as it gives the proper angle. But it does work on others as I have a Denon DL-300, the Ortofon VMS 30E MKII, and Stanton 881S MKII that are my mainstay carts on the 1019.It also works with the Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII.

It does give all the cartridges a parallel leveled bottom end on the stylus and takes away the need for using a thicker mat to compensate for the arm angle. I've used both a cork mat with the raised ridges and that seems to give good results as well.

Since I have used the shim though, I have no need for the mat. The mat was cut down to rest perfectly on the platter of the Dual, so there is no overhang. I also find that the overhang gauge is pretty much spot on when using it.

From what I've also been told, the V-15 II was the perfect cartridge for that table. I've thought about trying it out as well as I've used the V-15 III and M91ED.

My 1019 is in a console in our screen room. It sounds very good yet mostly sees casual listening duty. This thread has me thinking I might do well to spend some time getting the VTA closer to spec. Thanks.

Here is the V15-II with original Shure VN15E stylus. The shim is installed. Only has about 5 hours on it and it already sounds very good.

I have the thicker part of the shim towards the back of the headshell. (hope that's right?)

IMG_4986.JPG

I'd try it both ways to see which sounds better . On mine the bottom of the cartridge is parallel to the record. I forgot how I installed it though.

I'd try it both ways to see which sounds better . On mine the bottom of the cartridge is parallel to the record. I forgot how I installed it though.

The camera angle may be distorting things a bit. The front portion of the cartridge bottom is closer to parallel, the rear portion angles up.

If you're not getting any distortion or inner groove issues, I'd leave it and enjoy. It looks good to me.

If you're not getting any distortion or inner groove issues, I'd leave it and enjoy. It looks good to me.

I think the thick side of the shim in the back is correct.

The hardest record to track without IGD in my collection is Abbey Road. My Dual V15-II set up tracked side 2 all the way through to "the end" and "her Majesty" and did great. My V15-III w/ SAS mounted on a SME 3009 series II (improved) with a fluid damper did not track it any better than the Dual does. This table is very impressive. I think the arm is better than most people realize.

that shim was made specifically for Shure V-15 cartridges as it gives the proper angle.

I wasn't aware of this. I had a shim but hadn't been using it with the Pickering V15 or Shure M91ED, choosing to use a cork mat instead. My V15 II was on my AR XA. Decided today to move it to the 1019 w/shim. Just like pictures it's completely level, and sounds great. Thanks for the thread.

I wasn't aware of this. I had a shim but hadn't been using it with the Pickering V15 or Shure M91ED, choosing to use a cork mat instead. My V15 II was on my AR XA. Decided today to move it to the 1019 w/shim. Just like pictures it's completely level, and sounds great. Thanks for the thread.

No problem. I think there is a lot of tribal knowledge out there on these old tables. Bill at "Fix-My-Dual" told me to get a new sled, a shim, and to put my v15-II on this table. Man was he right. Finding a NOS Shure vn15e is icing on the cake.

No problem. I think there is a lot of tribal knowledge out there on these old tables. Bill at "Fix-My-Dual" told me to get a new sled, a shim, and to put my v15-II on this table. Man was he right. Finding a NOS Shure vn15e is icing on the cake.

He likes the V-15 II on the 1019, the Stanton 681EEE with Jico shibata on the 1229, and the Grado Sonata I and II on the 701's.

I'm contemplating getting the V15 II for the Dual to see if it changes my mind, but it's so hard to do it when I am enjoying the DL-300 on the table.

I was doing the same thing, bought a cork mat with the raised circular ridges, cut it to fit the platter, and had the cartridge run that way, then I installed the shim, and that was it. Arm is parallel, and I don't need the mat.

My next thing to try is a Denon DL-103 with the modified cantilever and micro ridge tip in the aluminum body. It should work as per the Dual's manual being able to handle up to a 15 gram cartridge.

My 1019 is from Bill. Had a 1219 from him before that. The man knows his stuff

1105160838.jpg

I don't know if I should start a new thread or just add to this one to consolidate 1019 alignment info.

Recently bought an aftermarket sled and a stylus for a Pickering XV-15. I'm trying to get it aligned but it just doesn't land on the second point no matter how I adjust it.

Using the protractor from enjoythemusic.com.

This protractor worked perfectly with my other aftermarket sled with an Audio-Technica LS-400.

Should I be using Baerwald instead?

Thank you for the link. Very informative thread!

The problems I have are a lack of an alignment gauge and also, since I have aftermarket sleds, the lack of the side notches and white line on the front of the OEM sled.

I'll try to see if I can duplicate the marks and notches and double check using Baerwald.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom