New smoker

chef free

I bought myself a new smoker for my birthday! (The old one finally rusted out.)

I chose the Oklahoma Joe's Highland Reverse Flow smoker. It's an upgraded version of their original Highland smoker with all the mods enthusiasts were doing at home. It has plates which channel the smoke from the fire box to the far end of the cooking chamber; its chimney is at the end nearer the fire box so the smoke has to double back to escape. This keeps the entire cooking chamber very evenly heated. It can be used as a smoker or as a grill by moving the chimney to the traditional end.

Joe Davidson's story is that he was a well rigger in Oklahoma in the late '70's and early '80's, and he made a BBQ out of scrap oil pipes. His buddies told him to sell them so he made a dozen and took them to the Oklahoma State Fair. He sold out and came home with orders for over a hundred more! Like so many hobbyists who go pro, he soon found out why he wasn't a business man, so he sold out to Char-Broil in '98. Joe has opened four BBQ restaurants and continues to win contests across the nation.

It's very well built, 12 gauge steel construction, heavy duty coal racks, a fuel basket, easy to read, accurate thermometer, tight fitting dampers, porcelain cooking racks, and 10" steel wheels. It's pretty heavy at 200 lbs. but smart placement of the large wheels make it very easy to move. It took me as about as long to assemble it as it did for my wife to wash our two cars. All parts fit well and are completely painted (except the interior of course!)

I just finished my first tri tip, this smoker is the easiest one I ever used! It was no effort to keep the cooking chamber between 210 and 220 degrees because the fire box damper fit so tight and the fuel basket made banking the fire easy.

Chef Free sez: Recommendo!

Chef Free's BBQ rub:
1 T brown Sugar
1 T paprika
3/4 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
1/3 t garlic powder
1/4 t ground cumin
1/4 t ground red pepper
Makes enough for one rack of ribs or a tri tip, three chicken breasts or six legs or thighs.

Chef Free's BBQ sauce:
15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 c molasses
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1 batch of Chef Free's BBQ rub
Combine in a 1 qt. sauce pan and simmer on LOW for about an hour. Brush on meat for last 1/2 hour of smoking.

Last edited:
From the world-wide-web.
prod_12360542112

This picture doesn't show all the possibilities of moving the stack from one end to the other.

Chef the rub recipe looks like mine, but I add all-spice and celery seed. I'd recommend buying a rib stacker (looks like a letter holder) or a metal letter holder. Smoke 5 racks in the same space as 2.

Chef the rub recipe looks like mine, but I add all-spice and celery seed. I'd recommend buying a rib stacker (looks like a letter holder) or a metal letter holder. Smoke 5 racks in the same space as 2.
My rub is based on the powder used on BBQ potato chips! I do a Jerk rub with lots of allspice, plus lime and habanero. My daughter makes a rub with mustard, ginger, white pepper, celery seed, and honey.

I have a rack like that one, I can smoke four racks of ribs in the space of one rack, sweet! I had a party last summer which I was told sent folks into a "meat coma".

Ever try boiling the cooked ribs in the sauce after smoking? Meat candy!

Made ribs last night! A six hour 210 degree smoke, meat juicy, pink, and falling off the bone. I smoked it fo the last half hour with a very light smoke, one cup of soaked hickory chips. DSCF5724.JPG

Set up for traditional grilling:
DSCF5725.JPG

Set up for smoking:
DSCF5726.JPG

Quality, easy-to-read temperature gauge.
DSCF5728.JPG

Good fit on all the panels and dampers:
\DSCF5729.JPG

This is why it is so easy to keep a constant temperature:
DSCF5730.JPG

I love these big ten inch steel wheels (Valerie June CD for scale)
DSCF5731.JPG

First minor complaints:
1. There's no way to move coals and grilling food closer together. An adjustable coals grate is essential to controlling grilling temp. I may have to begin my first modifications.
2. The paint is coming off the smoke box after four, low temp uses. Not a big deal but they could have used a better quality of high temp paint. I already wire brushed and 100 grit sanded it and then repainted it with Rustolium High-temp BBQ paint.

First minor complaints:
1. There's no way to move coals and grilling food closer together. An adjustable coals grate is essential to controlling grilling temp. I may have to begin my first modifications.
2. The paint is coming off the smoke box after four, low temp uses. Not a big deal but they could have used a better quality of high temp paint. I already wire brushed and 100 grit sanded it and then repainted it with Rustolium High-temp BBQ paint.
Glad you are willing to share your 'tell it like it is' comments.

Nothing is perfect, eh?

Pulled pork last night! BBQed for about four hours at about 325 until interior meat temp was 185 degrees. It was smoked with lots of hickory chunks, and served on sourdough rolls with homemade slaw.

Chef free's slaw:

Sauce:
Combine in sauce pan on low heat:
2 c apple cider vinegar
1 c water
2 T brown sugar
2 T red pepper flakes
3 t salt
Simmer for 10 min. to dissolve all the sugar.

Mix in a large bowl:
One small head of green cabbage, shredded (about six cups)
1 T white sugar
3/4 c of sauce (mix the rest into the pulled pork)
Allow to stand for 1/2 hour or refrigerate.

Pulled pork last night! BBQed for about four hours at about 325 until interior meat temp was 185 degrees. It was smoked with lots of hickory chunks, and served on sourdough rolls with homemade slaw.

Chef free's slaw:

Sauce:
Combine in sauce pan on low heat:
2 c apple cider vinegar
1 c water
2 T brown sugar
2 T red pepper flakes
3 t salt
Simmer for 10 min. to dissolve all the sugar.

Mix in a large bowl:
One small head of green cabbage, shredded (about six cups)
1 T white sugar
3/4 c of sauce (mix the rest into the pulled pork)
Allow to stand for 1/2 hour or refrigerate.

Nice! A slaw recipe without mayo. :beerchug:

-Dave

The guest of honor:
DSCF5736.JPG

Ya gotta have some country music while smoking!
DSCF5738.JPG

And beer!
DSCF5745.JPG

Keeping 325 degrees was easy...
DSCF5746.JPG

because the fire basket makes banking easy.
DSCF5747.JPG

More paint loss. I've already knocked it down with some 100 grit, wiped it with acetone, and repainted with high temp (1200 degrees!) BBQ paint. The repainted spots show no flaking so far...
DSCF5748.JPG

Last edited:
The guest of honor:
View attachment 958637

Ya gotta have some country music while smoking!
View attachment 958638

And beer!
View attachment 958640

Keeping 325 degrees was easy...
View attachment 958641

because the fire basket makes banking easy.
View attachment 958642

More paint loss. I've already knocked it down with some 100 grit, wiped it with acetone, and repainted with high temp (1200 degrees!) BBQ paint. The repainted spots show no flaking so far...
View attachment 958644
Was at Green Flash's tasting room in San Diego last night - confirming that West Coast IPA is a tasty treat! Esp right from the tap.:beerchug:

That 'q looks mighty tasty!

DSCF5754.JPG

I'm starting to know this smoker! I ran it at 230 +/-5 degrees (F) about 95% of a six hour rib smoke. I used about 12 pounds of Kingsford Original charcoal. It was easy until the three and a half hour point when ash was building up in the fuel box and below. Some hard shaking of the fuel box and an ash clean out solved that. I wiped the ribs with sauce and added soaked oak chips to the fire at the five hour mark.

Please, no more Pliny the Elder in your photos. I've always wanted to try it, but i's unavailable in these in parts. Otherwise, I enjoy your posts very much. :D :beerchug:
BTW, those ribs look great!

-Dave

Three racks of ribs today, ~230 degrees for six hours, mesquite wood chunks and charcoal.

Front rack has my usual rub and sauce, the back rack is just salt and pepper, all that color is from the smoke.
ribs1.jpg

This rack had a turmeric/mustard/horseradish rub over honey and a honey/mustard sauce.
ribs2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom