New smoker

I smoked a small, 5 lb. brisket today. Well OK it was not a whole brisket, it was one of those cheap ones that come in a sealed plastic bag, I've got to find a better butcher than Safeway!

It turned out really nice! It's juicy and tender with a smokey flavor. I used a salt and pepper rub and mesquite chunks in the charcoal. It cooked in only four hours at 270 degrees.

About the smoker's temperature:
The thermometer that comes with the Oklahoma Joe's smoke has a very short stem which puts the probe tip about seven to eight inches above the cooking surface. I put a temp probe through a piece of potato and set it on the cooking rack. The temperature difference was about 40 degrees cooler on the rack!!!!

I have ordered a Tel-Tru UB300 with a six inch stem which should reach almost to the level of the food. I'll let you know how that works out..

P.S. Hey IPADave, I was drinking Drake's Denogginizer, 9.75%!

I usually mix in session IPA's with the high octane types if I'm having more than one. As you said you gotta be careful. Glad to see you enjoying your new smoker!

-Dave

food looks great. I just got into smoking last year I have a 30" masterbuilt electric smoker, I know its sacrilege but it fits a lot of meat and low maintenance

this thread covers nearly all my summer vices - craft beer and smoking meat

nice to see some russian river love as well

I put a temp probe through a piece of potato and set it on the cooking rack. The temperature difference was about 40 degrees cooler on the rack!!!!
One thing I learned is that there is a cool "bubble" around the meat when it is smoking, so I had to adjust my grill surface thermometer and probes appropriately. I forget how big that bubble is but I think they were saying a couple of inches is good enough.

BTW, I saw a recipe somewhere for a smoked chuck roast. If I modified that with some Southwestern style rub, that would be great in tacos! (Shredded beef is my favorite taco and chimi filling.)

If you get a chance, check out pitmaster Harry Soo's site, Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ. Plenty of good recipes. Like I need encouragement... :D

I haven't tried smoking cheese (I prefer my cheese unsmoked ;) ), but I have seen where you can do it in a smoker as long as you can keep the temperature below 90°F. Any higher and it melts. The key to smoking cheese is not to get to a doneness, but to do a certain length of time with smoke (three to four hours). Some use a small can with fully lit briquettes and wood chips to create the needed smoke without creating a lot of heat. There are also small perforated or mesh containers you can buy that burn wood pellets at a steady rate to create the smoke, which I would think could be used in a smoker or well-covered BBQ.

The DigiQ I use on my WSM is capable of "cold smoking," but that is more for doing certain types of meat or fish, not so much cheese.

Hey
Nope, I've not smoked cheese. But, I did buy the equipment to smoke cheese and if I remember correctly fish.
I have a cookshack electric smoker (smaller of the two).
It's a stainless shelf that you fill with ice. You'll need to run a lower temperature.
Like I said I've never used it. It's one of those things you just gotta have for no apparent reason. Eric

Bear Claws! I have those also--they rip through the meat in not time flat! Great back scratchers, too. :D

I did my first winter (cold weather) smoke a couple of weeks ago. The DigiQ again kept the WSM at a perfect 225° throughout the 18+ hour session. Pulled pork for some reason tastes better when it's done in the winter. :D I'm itching to do some ribs soon. Waiting for another sale. I have a rack of spare ribs in the freezer but want to add a rack or two of baby backs.

Does anyone have one of the longhorn combo smoker?

This one is what I might get for my next grill/smoker as I just do not have the room for two cookers

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/smokers/longhorn-combo.html

I'm planning on tearing down the built in grill

casaMickSud1.jpg

I was posting about BBQ on another site and a member there offered to send me a selection of his favorite smoking woods.DSCF6064.JPG

I smoked some jerk wings for lunch, brown sugar, lime juice, habanero pepper, and allspice, they turned out HOT!
DSCF6090.JPG

Beer and music: Fish and Founder's!

DSCF6091.JPG

For dinner, brisket, beer and the NBA all-Star game!
DSCF6108.JPG

The guest of honor, a small 4lb. flat, cooked for 6 hrs. at 275F, over almond wood fire with peach wood for a sweet smoke.
DSCF6104.JPG

What makes me mad is no one wants to fire the chicken thread back up. I wanna see some grilled chicken Dammit!. Not in just my back yard.

DSCF6121.JPG
Under a magnolia tree in our front yard, it's been "California Cold" here lately ( You know, below 60 F!) so if I make a fire, it brings the family around.

DSCF6139.JPG
Guest of honor, NO ONE choose to use sauce, what's that tell ya?

DSCF6129.JPG
Fire attracts the family!

DSCF6122.JPG
Today's music: Brandi Carlile.

I cleaned my grill up yesterday. Being I'm out of work for 2 weeks cause of my teeth and it's going to be at least 2 months before I can use the grill again. I figured I would torture myself and give grill a good cleaning. Broke that sumbitch down and cleaned, scraped and burned off everything. That thing is ready to go for the next time I lift the lid.

Back
Top Bottom